Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    The Cre8tor
    Crafty Bargain of the Day!
    • 9th Aug 13, 4:43 PM
    Crafty Bargain of the Day! 9th Aug 13 at 4:43 PM
    I've checked all the threads in our lovely new crafting forum and didn't find a thread which I could post this, so thought if I made a thread, perhaps we could all share the bargains we've come across, not just to share the joy but also pass on the details of where to buy the item in case the rest of us crafty folks were interested.

We maybe could share details of Sales; Special Offers; Gifts on magazines; Money off vouchers for craft stores; etc., or little bargains we've come across which might just be of use to someone else in their crafting.

I've just come home with a bargain which I'm filled with joy bubbles about, - so thought I'd share it in case anyone else might be interested in these too.

I dropped in to my local Store 21 and noticed some 'stickable gems' hanging on a display rack. When I checked them out I saw that they were meant to be for children to craft with, decorate their school books, or even stick on their bodies. There was no price on them so I checked with the lady on the till and to my surprise they were just 50p a pack.

Being a newbie I sadly can't post a photograph of the packs I bought (wish I could) - so I'll try to describe them as best as possible:

They aren't 'loose' gems, they're all affixed to a strip of tape which you can peel off and then stick onto paper, card, or whatever your project is.

They had different 'patterns'. Some were arranged in a scallop shape; some were a scroll shape. Others were small, laid on their sides 'S' shapes and there were a couple of other patterns too.

They're in a long see through packet with the gems all stuck to their tape, which is stuck on acetate (for easy removal), with a strip of black paper behind them so that you can clearly see the gems and the pattern that they're arranged in.

They're called: 'Krystal Art'.

In length each gem strip is just under 12" - so they'd work brilliantly on 12 x 12 papers for scrapbooking. But you could cut them down to whatever size you need for your project.

They're available in purple, lavender, pink, blue and clear gems.

At only 50p a pack they're an absolute bargain! They're worth a look at if you like to use gems in your card making, scrapbooking or any other crafting.
    Last edited by The Cre8tor; 10-08-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: editted because I'm a numbskull and missed out a word which made a sentence total nonsense!
Page 2
    • smileylass
    • By smileylass 20th Sep 13, 10:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    smileylass
    weekend sale 20-22 sep 2013
    Couldn't believe my luck - looking foe some wool - Abakhan have sale on all weekend ! New so can't post link,
    Enjoy
  • The Cre8tor
    My local TK Maxx has gone craft crazy in the last couple of weeks and I have picked up some great bargains. They've had lots of docrafts, American Crafts, scrapbooking pads and lots of lots of American brands that are usually difficult to get over here.
    Originally posted by Hermia

A big THANK YOU, Hermia, for reminding me that TX Maxx has a crafting section in most stores - because I'd forgotten completely! But when reading your post I made a mental note to drop in next time I was in the right area, and I'm so glad that I did because they had a bit of a clearance on some of the craft items and I managed to get a whole load of different toppers & general 'decorations' for just a few pounds. The best buy was a little bundle they'd tagged together, which was six different packs of adornments for paper-crafting (cards, scrapbooking, ATC, ACEO etc) and all for just one pound. Each of them (I hazard a guess at) would normally have cost me at least 99p each, if not more, because they were a good brand.

Thanks again Hermia.

Chaos Monkey - Thanks for the link to Bebebubu, and the update on the missing part of the order. I shall take a peep when I have some spending money for more 'goodies'.
    • pateroo
    • By pateroo 23rd Sep 13, 7:52 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    pateroo
    Popped into my tk max and they do indeed have a crafty section. Not massively cheap-"designer" craft stuff at hobbycraft prices. But I'll certainly make a point of popping in when I'm nearby to see if anything has been red stickered!! ) x
    • Battybird
    • By Battybird 7th Oct 13, 11:19 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Battybird
    If anyone in the Preston area wants to buy a Ranger Melting Pot, the craft shop called "Inspirations," at Walton-le-Dale, post code PR5 4AR, has it on offer for 28.99.

We visited last week, as they had an Extravaganza week, with lots of demos, and hubby treated me to a melting pot on my birthday. We went to the shop again yesterday and it was still on offer.
    ( I think a sign said the offer is on for a week, but I don't know if it meant all this week, or from last Thursday when we visited.)

I love this 10,000 square foot craft shop. I think(?) a lot of the prices are on par with other craft shops, but they often have fantastic offers on.
    Last week I bought a lovely tree die, half price, and went back yesterday to buy some cut and fold dies half price. They had a lot of Christmas decoupage and Hunkydory at low prices.

When I go to this shop I feel like a kid in a sweet shop. I've never seen so many dies in my life.

If any of you visit, there is a coffee lounge which also has a leather sofa. Twice yesterday, I caught my husband nodding asleep with his mouth open.

(Just want to add that I have no association with this shop, so don't think I'm advertising.)
    • pateroo
    • By pateroo 8th Oct 13, 1:31 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    pateroo
    Do they have a website? X

If anyone in the Preston area wants to buy a Ranger Melting Pot, the craft shop called "Inspirations," at Walton-le-Dale, post code PR5 4AR, has it on offer for 28.99.

We visited last week, as they had an Extravaganza week, with lots of demos, and hubby treated me to a melting pot on my birthday. We went to the shop again yesterday and it was still on offer.
    ( I think a sign said the offer is on for a week, but I don't know if it meant all this week, or from last Thursday when we visited.)

I love this 10,000 square foot craft shop. I think(?) a lot of the prices are on par with other craft shops, but they often have fantastic offers on.
    Last week I bought a lovely tree die, half price, and went back yesterday to buy some cut and fold dies half price. They had a lot of Christmas decoupage and Hunkydory at low prices.

When I go to this shop I feel like a kid in a sweet shop. I've never seen so many dies in my life.

If any of you visit, there is a coffee lounge which also has a leather sofa. Twice yesterday, I caught my husband nodding asleep with his mouth open.

(Just want to add that I have no association with this shop, so don't think I'm advertising.)
    Originally posted by Battybird
  • The Cre8tor
    Ohh so jealous, Batty! One of my current longings is the Ranger Melting pot .... along with the big 200ml Ultra Thick Embossing Powder and some Beeswax ... oh ... and some of the metallic embossing powders too (so that I can marble!). It's a big want which I think my husband is telling me to ask Father Christmas for (bah humbug) ... but my heart is longing. Let us know how you get on with it, and ... if you feel like sharing ... I'd love to see some photographs of your first makes.
    (So I can melting pot craft vicariously) lol. ~ T.C. xxx
    • Battybird
    • By Battybird 9th Oct 13, 12:00 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Battybird
    Let us know how you get on with it, and ... if you feel like sharing ... I'd love to see some photographs of your first makes.
    (So I can melting pot craft vicariously) lol. ~ T.C. xxx
    Originally posted by The Cre8tor
    Think you may have a long wait, it's still in it's packet. Crafting fascinates me, but I usually end up just playing with stuff like a little girl, but not actually making anything. I really enjoy just messing about.
    • Battybird
    • By Battybird 9th Oct 13, 12:46 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Battybird
    Originally posted by pateroo
    There is a website cardcraftplus.co.uk and at the bottom of the page you can order a free catalogue. I've never read the catalogue so don't know what is in it. At the top of the homepage, if you click on the word Inspirations, you can read about the shop. Sorry I can't do links. (unless my son is here to do it for me!)

I remember the first time I visited the shop and talking to a lady who was filling shelves. I said to her that I bet she spent most of her wages buying craft. She grinned and said that she owned the shop.

Pareroo, still not had the chance to visit Llandudno. For future reference, are the craft shops (and other shops) open on a Sunday?
    • Battybird
    • By Battybird 9th Oct 13, 2:03 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Battybird
    Originally posted by pateroo
    There is a website cardcraftplus.co.uk and at the bottom of the page you can order a free catalogue. I've never read the catalogue so don't know what is in it. At the top of the homepage, if you click on the word Inspirations, you can read about the shop. Sorry I can't do links. (unless my son is here to do it for me!)

I remember the first time I visited the shop and talking to a lady who was filling shelves. I said to her that I bet she spent most of her wages buying craft. She grinned and said that she owned the shop.

Pareroo, still not had the chance to visit Llandudno. For future reference, are the craft shops (and other shops) open on a Sunday?
    • pateroo
    • By pateroo 9th Oct 13, 3:17 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    pateroo
    There is a website cardcraftplus.co.uk and at the bottom of the page you can order a free catalogue.

Brill, thanks! Ill have a look

Ooo I'm not sure-I've only been in the week! Well try n find out! X
    • glynisrose
    • By glynisrose 9th Oct 13, 11:12 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    glynisrose
    I planned to get some patterns for christmas tree ornaments in felt to teach my great-niece how to sew, imagine my pleasure in coming across Asda selling packs of 10 x A4 sheets of felt at 2 per pack!! Now I can take her from simple sewing to complicated embroidery!!
  • The Cre8tor
    Great bargain, Glynisrose! Very good luck with the sewing - you'll both be able to make Christmas ornaments which will last a lifetime and have such beautiful, lasting memories for your great niece.

Thank you for the link BattyBird. I spent ages on their website looking for the Ranger Melting Pot and some of the Cosmic Shimmer Ultra Thick Embossing Crystals to go with it, but couldn't find it anywhere. I ended up calling them on the phone (number at the top of the page on the website) and the lovely girl on the phone told me that they didn't have it in stock there where the website is based because that's purely for mail order, BUT ... she gave me the telephone number of the shop:- 01772 880852 and told me to give them a call when I told her about how you'd bought the Melting Pot from the store.

Called the store - wonderful gal called Clair spoke to me and told me that the Melting Pot was on offer until this weekend, and although it wasn't on the website, she could get it sent to me. When I asked about the postage costs she said it was free postage.

I ordered the Melting Pot and some of the Ultra Thick Embossing Crystals, (they're 9.99), and all with free p&p.

Want to say a BIG THANK YOU BattyB for sharing your bargain and all the details for the shop and website! It's only because you shared the joy that I'm joining you in being the proud owner of a melting pot, because I just couldn't justify the cost of the full price item. Your bargain put it into the magical, little bit more affordable range. (In fact I bought the melting pot and the ultra thick crystals for less than I would have had to pay for the pot alone!).

If you were here right now I'd be hugging you and doing the fashionable kiss on both cheeks! lol

I love this thread.
    • Battybird
    • By Battybird 10th Oct 13, 10:00 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Battybird
    The Cre8or, sending you a virtual hug right back.So glad you got one, and with free postage, fantastic. All the staff in the shop are lovely.

( And now Father Christmas may be able to fetch you something else?)

Edited to ask, do you know that if you want to use Beeswax in the melting pot, you would be wise to buy a project pan. This is a metal tray that fits inside the pot. I've been told that if you put Beeswax directly in the melting pot, there is a risk of overheating.
    Last edited by Battybird; 10-10-2013 at 10:30 PM.
  • The Cre8tor
    The Cre8or, sending you a virtual hug right back.So glad you got one, and with free postage, fantastic. All the staff in the shop are lovely.

( And now Father Christmas may be able to fetch you something else?)

Edited to ask, do you know that if you want to use Beeswax in the melting pot, you would be wise to buy a project pan. This is a metal tray that fits inside the pot. I've been told that if you put Beeswax directly in the melting pot, there is a risk of overheating.

Ah .. yes know about getting the other pans for Beeswax (and another for food use too.).
    I didn't buy the Beeswax until I've tried out the Ultra Thick Embossing Crystals. Thought I'd learn to walk before trying to run. lol.

I'm so looking forward to it arriving. Can't wait to have a play and am still filled with huggable thanks for you sharing your lovely bargain buy details. TC. x
  • craftymummyof3
    free delivery at blacksheepwools.com until the 22/10.
    • Scrapmate
    • By Scrapmate 20th Oct 13, 9:37 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Scrapmate
    Ah .. yes know about getting the other pans for Beeswax (and another for food use too.).
    x
    Could you use a small foil dish (the sort you get with savoury pies or mince pies) inside the pan you have, for beeswax?
    • Battybird
    • By Battybird 20th Oct 13, 11:03 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Battybird
    Had a day out at Fleetwood yesterday and visited the Freeport shopping centre. They have a lovely craft shop called Craft Central. I bought some sizzix original dies for half price.

However, I wish I had known to go next weekend instead, as next Saturday and Sunday, there is 20% off everything! There's also going to be craft demos. Can't remember if the assistant said the demos where just on Saturday or both days. (I'm having to console myself by thinking that if I'd gone next weekend, the sizzix dies may have already sold out.)

(and I think the shop used to run a scheme where card holders got 10% off. I think they've stopped the card, and now everything is priced 10% off to all customers. Then you'll get the 20% off that price.)

If anyone decides to go for a day out, don't forget to visit the market. One stall holder has 2 big stalls jammed full of knitting yarn, haberdashery and some craft. There is also a big craft shop near the library.
    Last edited by Battybird; 21-10-2013 at 1:03 AM.
    • glynisrose
    • By glynisrose 21st Oct 13, 9:08 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    glynisrose
    If you have one of those oil burners that are like a little stove with a ceramic pan on the top, you can use them to melt UTE powder and metallic embossing powders you just need one of those little foil pie tins and a supply of tea lights......
  • The Cre8tor
    Could you use a small foil dish (the sort you get with savoury pies or mince pies) inside the pan you have, for beeswax?
    Originally posted by Scrapmate
    Hello Scrapmate! I was going to say that I wasn't sure ... but Glynisrose has given a far more positive answer! Thanks for the great info. Glynis!

Batty ... I want to move house and come and live next door to you. I have no neighbours who are crafty and no one in the family has any inclination to be so (despite my trying REALLY hard to get them doing something or other) .. so I'm moving next door to you! (lol)
    • Battybird
    • By Battybird 24th Oct 13, 2:07 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Battybird
    [B]

Batty ... I want to move house and come and live next door to you. I have no neighbours who are crafty and no one in the family has any inclination to be so (despite my trying REALLY hard to get them doing something or other) .. so I'm moving next door to you! (lol)
    How my sons and Hubby will laugh when I read them this tomorrow. I think I've typed on here before that I'm not actually a crafter, I'm a fascinated by craft, and mess about but not actually making anything, person.

If you lived next door to me you could certainly borrow quite a bit of stuff, I have quite a lot of dies. And no, we're certainly not rich. Most of the stuff I buy is from carboot sales, unless I spend Christmas or birthday money. (my one downfall has been buying an Accucut machine with 61 dies from a local lady, for a bargain price.)

I've found some real bargains at car boot sales, recently bought 5 quilling dies for 50p each! I don't think I've ever bought any card or paper from a shop, all bought at car boot sales. I recently bought a large zipped case containing over 300 beautiful different print on each side, 12x12 thin card for 5. I also buy rolls of wallpaper from Charity shops for 20p or 50p for die cutting.

My nearish neighbour is really crafty, and does cardmaking and decopatch. She's decopatched a nest of second hand coffee tables and they're beautiful. (I'll let you know if the house next door to her comes up for sale.)

( Edited to add if anybody reading this decides to buy cheap wallpaper for die cutting, I think the paper will have a copyright so you wouldn't be able to sell any cards with the wallpaper on???)
    Last edited by Battybird; 24-10-2013 at 3:26 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,907Posts Today

7,163Users online

Martin's Twitter