Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Is this board a good idea or not?

No, it's a terrible idea. Please delete the board.

67.45% • 259 votes

Yes, it's a good idea, bring it on.

24.48% • 94 votes

I don't care either way

8.07% • 31 votes

You may not vote on this poll

384 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • bodacious
    • By bodacious 18th Jul 13, 7:45 PM
    • 412Posts
    • 887Thanks
    bodacious
    Poll: Is this board a good idea or not
    • 18th Jul 13, 7:45 PM
    Poll: Is this board a good idea or not 18th Jul 13 at 7:45 PM
    As the title says "is this board a good idea or not?"

Let's let the MSE users have their vote. Hopefully those at MSE towers will take notice of the result and come to their senses.
Page 1
    • bodacious
    • By bodacious 18th Jul 13, 7:51 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    bodacious
    • 18th Jul 13, 7:51 PM
    • 18th Jul 13, 7:51 PM
    I was just thinking.....I bet this thread gets deleted by MSE because they really don't seem to like anyone who disagrees with them!
    • rebeccaj
    • By rebeccaj 18th Jul 13, 11:25 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    rebeccaj
    • 18th Jul 13, 11:25 PM
    • 18th Jul 13, 11:25 PM
    If you don't want a greedy few to monopolise this website please vote Yes, it's a good idea, bring it on.
    Originally posted by andy smith
    I'm not sure how you equate (currently) over 100 people as "a greedy few"

Looks like you and those who think like you are seriously outnumbered.
    • rebeccaj
    • By rebeccaj 18th Jul 13, 11:31 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    rebeccaj
    • 18th Jul 13, 11:31 PM
    • 18th Jul 13, 11:31 PM
    and I hope many, many more users will vote against to show what a completely ridiculous and badly thought out idea this board is (if there was ever any logical thought put into it in the first place)
  • Wywth
    • 19th Jul 13, 10:35 AM
    • 19th Jul 13, 10:35 AM
    Irrespective of vote results the viewing statistics will probably be the indicative decision on yay or nay.

15 currently viewing this board compared to lower figures on other recently introduced boards e.g. cycling (9), HoC (6)
  • Dr.Who-Who
    • 19th Jul 13, 10:36 AM
    • 19th Jul 13, 10:36 AM
    I put my vote in favour with the 100 fews : I am 1 of the 132 so there! don't know why I bothered but hey its free forum
    RIP my dear dear parent : Mum aged 62 (17/5/1990) & Dad aged 89 (23/1/2012)

• Christmasshopper
    • 19th Jul 13, 11:32 AM
    • 19th Jul 13, 11:32 AM
    Admin seem to be dragging old posts over to this board of greed. I have just checked to make sure none of my posts on other boards have arrived here.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'll smash your face in.
    • wannasave
    • By wannasave 19th Jul 13, 11:58 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    wannasave
    • 19th Jul 13, 11:58 AM
    • 19th Jul 13, 11:58 AM
    15 currently viewing this board compared to lower figures on other recently introduced boards e.g. cycling (9), HoC (6)
    Originally posted by Wywth
    yes but they're probably only here to argue against it
  • Thriftygifty
    • 19th Jul 13, 3:03 PM
    • 19th Jul 13, 3:03 PM
    How do I vote?

Never mind found it number 163!
    • sulkisu
    • By sulkisu 21st Jul 13, 6:31 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 4,788 Thanks
    sulkisu
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'bad' idea, just a pretty pointless one.
  • daveyj792
    I don't really understand the point of the board or why so many people are opposed to it.
  • daveyj792
    Hello, Mr Tesco, Mr Asda, Sainsburys and Waitys...

This is very obviously the board that you will need to keep a close eye on, in case us MSEers are managing to save any large amounts of money...

What a daft idea, talk about putting information on a plate for the supermarkets to follow.......
    Originally posted by Mamzie
    ^^ from the introductory thread - think I have a better understanding of this board now, but not a better understanding of why people think it is a bad idea. These shops offer coupons to attract customers so they are hardly likely to stop doing it because people are using the coupons. I would have thought that is exactly what they want.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 23rd Jul 13, 4:45 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Herbalus
    think I have a better understanding of this board now, but not a better understanding of why people think it is a bad idea. These shops offer coupons to attract customers so they are hardly likely to stop doing it because people are using the coupons. I would have thought that is exactly what they want.
    Originally posted by daveyj792
    from what I gather (though have no experience), extreme couponing mean customers get a shedload of goods for very little, which is exactly what the shops do not want. They're happy to entice you into a shop with a 50p coupon so that you might spend 20, but using coupons against the T+Cs (heard reports that some do and encourage others) to get stuff for free is not the game they're playing.
    Last edited by Herbalus; 23-07-2013 at 5:37 PM.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 23rd Jul 13, 5:24 PM
    • 41,410 Posts
    • 326,314 Thanks
    mjm3346
    You do not have to break the T&C's to "extreme coupon", just the same as the MSE'rs who got 100's of pounds worth of chocolate for a couple of quid were not breaking any rules (not counting the sins of lust, gluttony, greed, pride and possibly sloth as rule breaking)

It just makes a good headline/story but is not of much practical use to most, might lead people to try and "cheat" and then T&C's to be made more restrictive so hampering the day to day use of coupons (self print ones can already be a pain to redeem).
    • smod123
    • By smod123 25th Jul 13, 4:24 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    smod123
    extreme couponing
    Dont listen to people saying get rid of this board . The money I save my family doing this is amazing . I once had a bill of 25 @ asda and after coupons and other offers I got the bill for 1.77.
    It annoyed asda that much they banned me from there store saying I was infringing the companys terms and conditions
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 25th Jul 13, 4:35 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Dont listen to people saying get rid of this board . The money I save my family doing this is amazing . I once had a bill of 25 @ asda and after coupons and other offers I got the bill for 1.77.
    It annoyed asda that much they banned me from there store saying I was infringing the companys terms and conditions
    Originally posted by smod123
    And were you?

I think that's the objection of most people here, that promotion of what is happening and their proof will get the stores to close up the "loopholes" that allow it.
    • gentlepurr
    • By gentlepurr 25th Jul 13, 10:46 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 5,377 Thanks
    gentlepurr
    And were you?

I think that's the objection of most people here, that promotion of what is happening and their proof will get the stores to close up the "loopholes" that allow it.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    Ditto

and for that reason my vote goes to this board being not a very good idea at all, lol!!!!
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 30th Jul 13, 4:48 PM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    surfsister
    from what I gather (though have no experience), extreme couponing mean customers get a shedload of goods for very little, which is exactly what the shops do not want. They're happy to entice you into a shop with a 50p coupon so that you might spend 20, but using coupons against the T+Cs (heard reports that some do and encourage others) to get stuff for free is not the game they're playing.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    I thought most coupons were manufacturers ones and give the shop an extra 1p to process them - if so surely the shops don't care if it's cash or money back plus free 1p's x millions.

if the shop produce their own coupons it's their own fault if people use them!
  • blackburn_w
    there is a board all about vouchers so this board is a bit pointless.....
    2013-Swag bucks 10 Qmee 2.17 App Trailers 1.23 not a huge amount but better than nothing
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 6th Sep 13, 12:40 PM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 10,164 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    What I don't understand is- where are the money off coupons? This is what you come to this board thinking it is about and I can't find any!
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 36,546.45

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,192Posts Today

7,960Users online

Martin's Twitter