Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Pawan
    Tesco Clubcard fraud - online vouchers stolen
    • 21st Dec 12, 1:15 PM
    Tesco Clubcard fraud - online vouchers stolen 21st Dec 12 at 1:15 PM
    Like many people, we accumulate tesco clubcard points with our shopping, and every so often we log onto the website and exchange them for clubcard deals, or print off the the vouchers to use.

We logged on this month to find that £160 of vouchers that we were hoping to use at Christmas had been stolen (ie spent) from our clubcard account. It had been spent in two stores in London, miles away from where we live.

When we contacted Tesco, they said whoever did it would have had to hack into our online account, would need to know our email, clubcard number and password, would have then had to print the vouchers, and would then need a current valid physical clubcard to use in the store. (We still have all our clubcards, none are lost).

I wondered if anyone else had had this experience with Tesco?

We are currently trying to pursue it with them, but they are not being very helpful at the moment. We have also reported it to the police as online theft.
Page 5
    • ljonski
    • By ljonski 18th Feb 13, 3:38 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 3,354 Thanks
    ljonski
    -Tesco say they will delete all facebook posts that contain an external link- so best just to post your complaints without this link
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then itís the state thatís become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
    • D.A.
    • By D.A. 18th Feb 13, 4:07 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    D.A.
    FYI:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/21/tesco_ico/
    • hjd
    • By hjd 18th Feb 13, 5:10 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 8,404 Thanks
    hjd
    Maybe I'm just being stupid here....

But if you have never used the card, how can there be any vouchers to use...

I thought that you had to spend to get any rewards.
    Originally posted by dalesrider
    I have several, apparently.
    I had a CC, then I got a Tesco credit card, so they allocated me another number, then when I signed up for online access they created another one. Apparently they can't cancel them.
    • hjd
    • By hjd 18th Feb 13, 5:14 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 8,404 Thanks
    hjd
    Why don't people look at the wider problem.

Shop at Tesco and have £200 worth of clubcard vouchers

Or over the same period of time,

Shop at Asda and have £250 more left in your bank account.

Not and exact science I agree, but lets be honest clubcard vouchers aren't free are they.
    Originally posted by Percy1983
    If Tesco is one mile away and Asda is 15 miles away (and over 30 minutes travel), does it make sense to shop at Asda?
    I don't spend vast amounts at Tesco, but I use my Tesco credit card to get extra points.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 18th Feb 13, 5:39 PM
    • 2,948 Posts
    • 2,912 Thanks
    harz99
    Why don't people look at the wider problem.

Shop at Tesco and have £200 worth of clubcard vouchers

Or over the same period of time,

Shop at Asda and have £250 more left in your bank account.

Not and exact science I agree, but lets be honest clubcard vouchers aren't free are they.
    Of course you can always use your £200 Tesco Clubcard vouchers on "double up" then you would be £150 better off, or even at triple or more of face value on "rewards" when you would be £350 better off..

None of which, like your post, is really relevant to this thread!
    Last edited by harz99; 18-02-2013 at 5:41 PM.
    • Percy1983
    • By Percy1983 18th Feb 13, 6:19 PM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Percy1983
    Of course you can always use your £200 Tesco Clubcard vouchers on "double up" then you would be £150 better off, or even at triple or more of face value on "rewards" when you would be £350 better off..

None of which, like your post, is really relevant to this thread!
    Originally posted by harz99
    The big kicker is I could go and spend the money saved anywhere I want, nevermind further savings if you go to aldi.

I do have a question for anybody who has lost points/vouchers, has there been any other signs of identity theft.

Surely if your vouchers are used online they can provide an address where 'your' goods where delivered to?

Are the police not interested?
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 18th Feb 13, 6:24 PM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    visidigi
    Are the police not interested?
    Article updated, Tesco have called the police...smacks of a coverup till MSE got involved if you ask me...actinig like 'they weren't aware' even though they were credit accounts with 00's of pounds worth of vouchers...

http://t.co/6S2XVsbw
  • chrsfrm
    Thank you
    Thank you all. Well done MSE. Funny how individually we are not believed by Mr T but after overwhelming claims and MSE involvement it looks like, finally, they have to admit THEY have a problem, not US!!
    Just shows they shouldn't horse around with the masses (sorry for that, just couldn't resist). Feeling happier now as my vouchers have been put back into my account by Tesco. I wish you all the same outcome.
    • redridinghood
    • By redridinghood 18th Feb 13, 6:47 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    redridinghood
    I tried to use some vouchers at the beginning of December in store to pay for some shopping. The cashier said that they had all been used and made me feel really bad about trying to use them 'again'. When I got home I tried to log into the tesco site and it did not recognise my details, so I rang the cutsomer service line. I spoke to a very unpleasant woman who basically accused me of giving personal details to someone else as my account was linked to someone else in another town who had been using my vouchers. She went though how much had been lost to me and suggested she send me a £180 tesco gift voucher to reimburse me. The actual value of the vouchers would have exceeded that if I had used them in deals but I agreed to her offer as I figured it would just start again from scratch and be less hassle.

A couple of weeks passed and as I had heard nothing I rang again, spoke to someone else who said there was no record of my last conversation and that she would sort the voucher for me.

A couple more weeks passed and I rang again and spoke to a young man who tried to be very helpful, but also said there was no record of my past 2 conversations regarding this. He said he would personally see to it that I was sent the £180 voucher and apologised profusely for the bad customer service I had experienced. This was nearly 3 weeks ago....

I have this afternoon received a voicemail from the same young man, explaining that they can't send me a voucher as they think I may be the victim of fraud and it has all been passed to another team to deal with, who will be in contact with me in the next 48 hours.

I am very unhappy that this has been going on for well over 2 months and hope they will now get this sorted out quickly and I will be reimbursed.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 18th Feb 13, 6:55 PM
    • 10,942 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    deanos
    Is it worth reporting to http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ yet or should we hang fire until Tesco contact us, i just called them and the lady hasnt got a clue what i was on about (even the supervisor they asked !) even tho the tesco spokesman in the article says to give them a ring.

They say its been sent to the fraud team.

EDIT: They lady now says the vouchers were used online without a clubcard, this morning they were used in a store, not sure how you can use them online surely they would be used to buy something from my Direct account ?
    Last edited by deanos; 18-02-2013 at 6:58 PM.
    • hjd
    • By hjd 18th Feb 13, 6:56 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 8,404 Thanks
    hjd
    I am still being told that they will not reimburse me; their reason for this is that a clubcard in my name and linked to my account was used when the vouchers were redeemed. No matter that I still have the card and keyfobs, all still attached to the letter with which they were sent, and unused.
    I only use the clubcard which is attached to my Tesco credit card, which has a different number.
    • little_lil
    • By little_lil 18th Feb 13, 7:01 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    little_lil
    thank you MSE, we have spent far too long arguing with Tesco over this. It's amazing what a bit of publicity can do

Our story is oh so similar to others out there and the worst thing about this whole sorry story is Tesco's attitude towards customers.

Please remember that if you have a Tesco credit card connected to your clubcard account they could not guarantee those details are safe either! We have cancelled ours.

Let's hope for a speedy conclusion thanks to MSE.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 18th Feb 13, 7:04 PM
    • 2,948 Posts
    • 2,912 Thanks
    harz99
    I am still being told that they will not reimburse me; their reason for this is that a clubcard in my name and linked to my account was used when the vouchers were redeemed. No matter that I still have the card and keyfobs, all still attached to the letter with which they were sent, and unused.
    I only use the clubcard which is attached to my Tesco credit card, which has a different number.
    Originally posted by hjd
    Could someone have got hold of your CC details from a Credit Card statement (same number) and then registered a new Clubcard and linked it to your Credit Card Clubcard - I don't know how but it seems feasable?
    • NightStar
    • By NightStar 18th Feb 13, 7:36 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    NightStar
    Tescos, will you now please finally hash (with salt) our passwords and allow them to have symbols, be long and case insensitive.
    Thank you!
    • fluffybunny
    • By fluffybunny 18th Feb 13, 7:45 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    fluffybunny
    I hadnt received my mailing by yesterday and i logged in. They hadnt been used but I noticed that my address had changed!!!

I took a screenshot and changed my password

I didnt want to change the address as I wanted Tesco to see it

I rung them today ( they were closed yesterday) and when they identified me , i gave my own address. I explained that i hadnt received my mailing and she said she would resend it. I asked which address and she said 'the one you just gave me' - ie, my own. I'd expected her to ask for the incorrect Canterbury address but it had been changed BACK even after changing my password!

They had no record of the Canterbury address being there?!?!

Luckily i havent lost the points but I really do wonder what the hell is going on there!!!

I posted on their facebook page and it looks like they are vetting the posts as mine has never appeared over there
    Last edited by fluffybunny; 18-02-2013 at 7:46 PM. Reason: Typo
    • hjd
    • By hjd 18th Feb 13, 7:48 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 8,404 Thanks
    hjd
    Could someone have got hold of your CC details from a Credit Card statement (same number) and then registered a new Clubcard and linked it to your Credit Card Clubcard - I don't know how but it seems feasable?
    Originally posted by harz99
    I doubt it; I get a monthly statement every month - none have gone missing.
    I have never had any emails from Tesco, phishing or otherwise.
    Besides, I have the clubcard in my possession - unused.
    I have the statements here going back some time and all are shredded before that.
    • fluffybunny
    • By fluffybunny 18th Feb 13, 7:48 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    fluffybunny
    Originally posted by hjd
    Look at my post above...i wonder if they changed your address like mine but got a replacement clubcard to use when spending the vouchers?!
  • jordan13
    I am glad that I have read this thread as I was planning on saving my clubcard vouchers throughout the year and spending them at xmas.....I wont do now. I no for a fact that customers can spend these vouchers without showing there clubcard the vouchers you cant use without the clubcard are the coupons such as 25 extra points if you buy a certain product or say 30p off a certain product.
    • teeb
    • By teeb 18th Feb 13, 8:19 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    teeb
    "Clubcard users should check accounts after MoneySavers report hundreds of pounds worth of vouchers being stolen..."

Read the full story:

Tesco Clubcard users report stolen vouchers

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thank you to the MoneySavers who have provided us with information on this issue.

Originally posted by MSE Helen
    An entire article urging people to check their Tesco Clubcard account and no link directly to the Tesco clubcard website?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th Feb 13, 8:29 PM
    • 21,522 Posts
    • 15,779 Thanks
    molerat
    An entire article urging people to check their Tesco Clubcard account and no link directly to the Tesco clubcard website?
    Originally posted by teeb
    All quite sensible, NEVER follow a link to a secure site.
    Last edited by molerat; 18-02-2013 at 8:32 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

894Posts Today

7,257Users online

Martin's Twitter