MSE TicketySplit app discussion

Options

Comments

• est0777
    est0777 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    this app is great and i saved just over 25 quid on durham to preston, however advance ticket usage and the ability to add family railcards and more than 1 passenger at a time would be extremely beneficiaial to those travel with others. Thanks x:j
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't have iPhone so used mobile site on-line and played around with different destinations and starts and it came up with plenty of splits ( just some places journeys it could fine anything cheaper and usually involving London yet biggest saving was £38.50 going from London to Manchester at 3.20pm today, so will definitely be book marking this and putting it into my blackberry - would be great if you could do Apps for Blackberry and Android as plenty of us would not touch an iPhone unless we were paid to do so.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • starving_artist
    Options
    Fantastic idea!! I never buy walk on tickets (I'd be bankrupt by now) but it will be invaluable to me when you get the advanced fares on there.
  • caz21_2
    caz21_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Seems to work really well - tried a few combinations and although splits were not available for all journeys that was to be expected. Only thing I would change is on the home screen - it's great having the links to the email and website, but could this direct you to a mobile friendly version?

Have you thought about what you would charge for this? I would almost certainly buy it if it was £1.99, but the standard 69p would be even better!!! :-)
  • MRH_3
    MRH_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Great idea. Both iphone & mobile web sites worked well overall.
    Only thing I noticed was the Arrival time shown in the top summary box looks like it might be a bug? (the one shown with a footprint).
    My example journey was displayed as
    Mobile Web - Departs: 15:32 Maidenhead Arrives: 01:00 Petts Wood.
    iPhone - Departs: 15:32 Maidenhead Arrives: Petts Wood.
    The real arrival time of the selected train is displayed on the previous screen in the workflow.
    Hope this helps.
  • at1cadmen
    at1cadmen Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The app splits the ticket saving £19.30 by splitting reading to Banbury and Banbury to Birmingham.
    Problem is when i checked out the trains from reading to Banbury using the train line app you cant buy a ticket as the trains don't go there. OOps
    should the app only show valid routes and stations along the way
  • albionwarrior
    albionwarrior Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSE Jenny viewpost.gif
    Hi folks,

We've spent built a new free train split ticket iPhone app and, for other phone users, mobile website to find hidden tickets that slash the cost of walk-on train fares.

I wish that you would stop writing this. The fares are not hidden and to say they are is false. They are all available in all booking engines.
    no they are not
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 May 2012 at 10:54PM
    Options
    Not good enough.

Sheffield - Derby with Senior railcard
    The app gave no split, cost = £6.65
    At the station they will charge you £5.55 for a Derbyshire Wayfarer (and you can also use it to come back, and on all buses and trains in Derbyshire whilst you are there!!!!)

Sheffield - Holyhead (1 adult)
    App gives no split, cost = £85.20
    Cheapest is actually a Coast & Peaks 4 in 8, cost = £65 (and again you can use it for return journey and even more!!)

Your app may sometimes save a bit of money for someone, but will you take responsibility for the overcharging when someone at the ticket office demands a split ticket they have seen using your app when a cheaper alternative is available that the staff would happily sell.

The App appears not to be able to cope with tickets such as Oxford to Boundary Zone 6
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tried from poole to london and poole manchester, saved just over £2 each time. Works well as far as I can see although getting tickets in advance would save a lot more.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    at1cadmen wrote: »
    The app splits the ticket saving £19.30 by splitting reading to Banbury and Banbury to Birmingham.
    Problem is when i checked out the trains from reading to Banbury using the train line app you cant buy a ticket as the trains don't go there. OOps
    should the app only show valid routes and stations along the way

?????

There are trains every half hour (at least) from Reading to Banbury. Sounds like it's thetrainline that has a problem

Anyway the tickets covered are all purchasable on the day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport