Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    cottonhead
    Extreme couponing !
    • 29th Dec 11, 7:17 AM
    Extreme couponing ! 29th Dec 11 at 7:17 AM
    Has anyone seen the TV show Extreme couponing ?! I thought it was going to be a joke but watched it last night and couldnt believe it. One woman had a bill of over $1800 and after handing in all her coupons she paid just $43 !! Another got hundreds of dollars of shopping for free! The balance at the till was minus something so she picked up a chocolate bar for the people in the queue behind her just so the supermarket didnt 'win' !
    I am ashamed to say I have never used a coupon but this made me want to try. Maybe it works differently in the US though - I can't see us getting £300 of free shopping from Tesco !
Page 3
    • vic_sf49
    • By vic_sf49 30th Dec 11, 9:05 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    vic_sf49
    I'm currently in the USA, and have yet to find a supermarket that allows coupons to be used like on that programme. Coupons are limited in use and rarely doubled in face value, and more often than not, there are better offers on display on the shelves.

One thing they don't tell you is how much the shopper spends buying the newspapers, how much goes on the 'clipping services', and how much is spent on multiple computers so they can print out the coupons.

The other thing is, like in the UK, you rarely get coupons for anything you need. They seem to buy stuff because they have a coupon...but if they've spent $$$ on the coupon service, surely that means they're out of pocket. As for getting coupons for anything vaguely healthy; no chance. You're fine if you want to live on Mac 'n Cheese, or the cereal that would put you into a diabetic coma, but it doesn't help you out on unprocessed, basic ingredient, 'regular food'.
  • Hadley
    There was a thread on the show the last time it was shown,I wish they would get around to showing the new episodes.
    I used to use coupons when I lived in the US but not to the extreme of they people on the show.The most I saved was 50%.
    • djl
    • By djl 31st Dec 11, 6:07 AM
    • 11,314 Posts
    • 17,847 Thanks
    djl
    silly q but dont you go through alot of ink printing off all the coupons?
    Originally posted by elantan
    No, we have a kodak printer 2 inks are about £18.00 or Tesco do the same for less than £14.00. You can also use couponstar and they send the coupon in the post
    2015 wins £4.00 not mse
    2014 £44.002013 £83.00 2012 £601.50
    2011 £1554.50 2010 £698.00 2009 £2793.00
    2008 £2816.00 2007 £1034.00
    • ScarletRaven
    • By ScarletRaven 31st Dec 11, 6:20 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    ScarletRaven
    You definitely need to check for offers on products to really maximise the savings you make with coupons. Quite happy today though, paid around £40 for a shop that should have cost around £70. Best bit? The pack of Bodyform Naturals pads I got for 29p! lol (normal price £1.55)
  • Derivative
    I've never really found the appeal of coupons either.
    I don't buy branded stuff, but I'd be fine with branded substitutes for things I do buy, coupons are generally for naff stuff that's a waste of money anyway, or just not applicable to me.

Example from the coupon thread for the whole of December:

Castrol Oil 1 litre bottle
    More expensive than unbranded oil and oil is oil.
    Burgess Nature Snacks, Excel product, Excel tasty nugget, Excel herbage or forage
    These might be useful if I had a pet rodent but I get the feeling cheaper is available.
    Colgate MaxWhiteOne
    Colgate toothpaste is ridiculously overpriced anyway. I suppose if you can catch it on offer so that it'd end up almost free you're in the money.
    Dettol surface wipes
    I'd just use a bit of kitchen roll and some soap.
    Curiously Cinnamon
    Sugar with sugar with sugar for breakfast. Nice.
    Seriously good sauce

Sacla sauce
    Both more expensive than own brand. It's pasta sauce for christ's sake.
    Mothercare various coupons
    E45 junior foaming bath milk 500ml
    I don't have a baby.
    Cheerios
    Cheerios are alright, but still, in the MSE spirit, you can do better.
    Wrights Bread or Cake mixes
    If you're making your own cakes it's probably more expensive anyway, you might as well buy the ingredients and learn something.
    Mackays babywear
    I still don't have a baby.

Looking back at the above, it seems like a bit of a rant, but I can't really see how it's really saving you money. Even including the other months, there's not a single thing on there I'd ever consider purchasing.

Fair play to those who do, but it seems like a half-arsed attempt to tell yourself you're saving money. The babies stuff especially - the bath milk costs something like 30 times as much as buying own brand bath foam. I wonder if my Mum used 'only the best' when I was a youngster, my skin seems fine now.

Fresh fruit/veg and meat, normal cereal like porridge or wheat biscuits, shampoo that's not already 5 times the price of other brands, etcetera?
    None of it's on there.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”
    • myrtleturtle
    • By myrtleturtle 31st Dec 11, 8:20 PM
    • 8,230 Posts
    • 131,664 Thanks
    myrtleturtle
    hi edgey

well as you say coupons aren't for everyone and some coupons you'd rarely use as seen in your list.

but examples you've choosen aren't a true picture
    many coupons have come and gone in december that have enable people to get free or virtually free items. as to price , depending on expiry date you just wait until its on offer. paying half price or less is best

so can be very worth it
    • djl
    • By djl 31st Dec 11, 8:32 PM
    • 11,314 Posts
    • 17,847 Thanks
    djl
    Hi edgey

I agree there are lots of coupons out there that save a lot of money IE free milk/soup/drinks/crisps and discounts on other stuff like bread/chips/cheese its well worth it if you look at the posts we have saved a lot the last year.
    2015 wins £4.00 not mse
    2014 £44.002013 £83.00 2012 £601.50
    2011 £1554.50 2010 £698.00 2009 £2793.00
    2008 £2816.00 2007 £1034.00
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 31st Dec 11, 8:49 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    I am very very new to couponing but if you cut through the cr*p there are good ones out there

I am sorry EdgEy that you feel it's a .............what was it "half-arsed attempt" to tell yourself you are saving money. The way I see it, 30p is better in my bank than in the sm's bank, it may only be a paltry amount BUT a penny saved is a penny earned etc

I have only used £1.90 in coupons so far (my first trip) but that, if saved every week is my food for next Christmas
    Mort Oct 15 £70,353 £66,422 £58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt May 09 £30,217Oct 17 £14,093Nov 18 £6,336.12[/B]
    • myrtleturtle
    • By myrtleturtle 31st Dec 11, 9:33 PM
    • 8,230 Posts
    • 131,664 Thanks
    myrtleturtle
    hi sue
    well stick at it it can be well worth it, as i said any coupon related question just pop to coupon thread and they'll get answered soon enough. (i check thread every day at least once)
    also a tip make a mental note of the SA's on tills that except your coupons with no fuss and try to use them again when poss.. i find a bit of friendly banter doesn't go a miss either.
    give you a small example of 2 shops i did today
    £19.76 down to £9.96 after coupons/offers
    £25.33 down to £16.03 after coupons/offers

I am very very new to couponing but if you cut through the cr*p there are good ones out there

I am sorry EdgEy that you feel it's a .............what was it "half-arsed attempt" to tell yourself you are saving money. The way I see it, 30p is better in my bank than in the sm's bank, it may only be a paltry amount BUT a penny saved is a penny earned etc

I have only used £1.90 in coupons so far (my first trip) but that, if saved every week is my food for next Christmas
    Originally posted by SueP19
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 31st Dec 11, 9:48 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    Thanks myrtleturtle I did just that when I went and I also produced my coupons at the start of the shop

I have subscribed to the coupon thread as well
    Mort Oct 15 £70,353 £66,422 £58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt May 09 £30,217Oct 17 £14,093Nov 18 £6,336.12[/B]
  • NewCustomerOnly
    hi edgey

well as you say coupons aren't for everyone and some coupons you'd rarely use as seen in your list.

but examples you've choosen aren't a true picture
    many coupons have come and gone in december that have enable people to get free or virtually free items. as to price , depending on expiry date you just wait until its on offer. paying half price or less is best

so can be very worth it
    Originally posted by myrtleturtle
    Thank you, nearly free or wait til its on offer as well - thats more like it - I will keep checking the list! I do see edys point though - when i looked at that particular list I couldnt find anything to buy, maybe Dec is an off month.
  • Derivative
    Originally posted by SueP19
    It just feels a bit like the wording used in advertising. Buy the new JML Ultra Mop and "save" £5 on purchase price.

Not too useful if it's more expensive than a mop from Tesco anyway.

Great if you were going to buy it, useless if not!

I would appreciate it if anyone could get me some coupons useful for a single male student - it sounds like a fun budgeting game to play if you can win.
    Said Aristippus, “If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.”
    Said Diogenes, “Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.”
    • myrtleturtle
    • By myrtleturtle 31st Dec 11, 10:15 PM
    • 8,230 Posts
    • 131,664 Thanks
    myrtleturtle
    hi NCO
    1st page also has a shopping list of offers to use with coupons

Thank you, nearly free or wait til its on offer as well - thats more like it - I will keep checking the list! I do see edys point though - when i looked at that particular list I couldnt find anything to buy, maybe Dec is an off month.
    Originally posted by NewCustomerOnly
    • myrtleturtle
    • By myrtleturtle 31st Dec 11, 10:18 PM
    • 8,230 Posts
    • 131,664 Thanks
    myrtleturtle
    hi edgey

why not pop back onto coupon thread
    you say many are useless to you , perhap we could help better if we know what you in need of.

BUT
    i don't pop up here that often but am on coupon thread everyday, several times aday
    so if you want to catch me pop over to coupon thread for any help/info.

It just feels a bit like the wording used in advertising. Buy the new JML Ultra Mop and "save" £5 on purchase price.

Not too useful if it's more expensive than a mop from Tesco anyway.

Great if you were going to buy it, useless if not!

I would appreciate it if anyone could get me some coupons useful for a single male student - it sounds like a fun budgeting game to play if you can win.
    Originally posted by EdgEy
  • Derivative
    hi edgey

why not pop back onto coupon thread
    you say many are useless to you , perhap we could help better if we know what you in need of.

BUT
    i don't pop up here that often but am on coupon thread everyday, several times aday
    so if you want to catch me pop over to coupon thread for any help/info.
    Originally posted by myrtleturtle

I am in the process of drawing up my food budget for next year - perhaps I will take you up on that.

Thanks.
    • Soldierearth54
    • By Soldierearth54 31st Dec 11, 11:58 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Soldierearth54
    I find it hard to navigate the coupon thread! I tried to find the December list of coupons Edgey was talking about and couldnt easily come across and anytime I ask for something it always seem to be on the first page. (then I look on first page and can't find)

Any hints?
  • Best price
    What are you looking for? Any particular coupon?

Post 2-7 on the Updated Printable Money off Coupons and Policies lists all the coupons

Post 2 - All printable coupons in which no coupon printer software is required

Post 3 - Coupons which you have to send away for

Post 4 - Supersavvyme - sign up and then you can print coupons from their website

Post 5 - Coupons from beforeishop - online printable coupons

Post 6-7 - List of current available coupons divided into sections to make it easier to find

Post 12-17 contains useful information about coupon policies and how to download the coupon printer software

Just ask if you can't find anything. Everyone is very helpful especially myrtleturtle who runs the thread
    Last edited by Best price; 01-01-2012 at 12:11 AM.
  • im-lost
    silly q but dont you go through alot of ink printing off all the coupons?
    Originally posted by elantan
    If you get an epson or similar that can take a CISS (continuous ink system)
    they cost about £30 on ebay then using bulk inks costs about £6 for 100ml
    or each of the 4 colours.
    around 28 'normal' ink cartridges worth, so you're talking fractions of a penny to print a page.
    reams of paper can often be had for a couple of quid so .4p a sheet,

So really you are taking less than a penny to do a sheet.
    • myrtleturtle
    • By myrtleturtle 1st Jan 12, 12:49 AM
    • 8,230 Posts
    • 131,664 Thanks
    myrtleturtle
    hi mick
    if you ask and are pointed to 1st pages but still can't find please just ask again
    1 tip though although BP has done a good post

1st post in coupon thread( welcome page) has an index list to thread
    these are also links to those particular posts

I find it hard to navigate the coupon thread! I tried to find the December list of coupons Edgey was talking about and couldnt easily come across and anytime I ask for something it always seem to be on the first page. (then I look on first page and can't find)

Any hints?
    Originally posted by mickp67
    • myrtleturtle
    • By myrtleturtle 1st Jan 12, 12:53 AM
    • 8,230 Posts
    • 131,664 Thanks
    myrtleturtle
    as i said earlier

just pop over to coupon thread ,questions will always be answered the best we can.

all we ask is for you to view 1st pages 1st and if you really can't see something just ask.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Last edited by myrtleturtle; 01-01-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,253Users online

Martin's Twitter