Extreme Savings-Coupons -who has the best strategy?Please share your ideas/savings

Comments

• Thanks to No choice now and munchkinz for your detailed explanations I can see why it's an art!
    Thanks :) I'm still new and learning, I don't price check receipts yet but I'm going to start. When I take mine to CS for CC points I take 2 at a time at the start of my trip (usually have found some outside the store, often left in trolleys so I deliberately use those trolleys).

During the visit if I find more, and on my way out if CS has changed shift, I will usually get 2 more in. If I'm with a friend I try and get them to take any more up whilst I'm checking out my items.

Of course since you can only do so many a day and only 2 at a time, always put the highest value CC points through first. Don't lose out of 70 points for a 2 points receipt and do the 70 next time, because of the 2-week time limit they won't accept it after it expires.

Once kicked myself for losing 152 points by 24 hours because I put a 16 point one through instead and missed the deadline. But you win some you lose some :o
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Extreme Couponing is my favourite money saving show of all time! Best thing I ever downloaded lol

The one thing I noticed though is that US and UK coupons aren't anywhere near the same. US coupons rarely have limits on with regards to combined coupons, coupons per transaction, and so on. Some trips end with overages (the store owes the customer) even after they leave the store with 9 trolleys loaded with stuff :rotfl:. But in the UK that would never happen even on the best of the best day.

I wish you every luck and hope couponing lets you live the lifestyle you want on the budget you have :T

One big difference with the US and the UK is that some stores will double or triple the value of certain coupons on certain days - this makes a real difference to getting items for free, or overages (credit that can be used on other items). Although we can get some items for free in the UK (like the Lenor a few weeks ago, it's not so common)

One thing I do disagree with (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the mantra of always using your coupon for the smallest size pack (as mentioned a lot on Extreme C). This makes sense if you are then going to get the item for free, but if you're not, I think it's worth working out the cost per ml or g (etc) to see what the better deal is.

For instance, Sanex has been 50% off in Mr S,
    250ml bottle is 45p with a 50p off coupon, making it 18p per 100ml
    500ml bottle is 87p with a 50p off coupon making it 17.4p per 100ml

so the larger size is still (marginally) cheaper.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri_gt wrote: »
    One thing I do disagree with (and correct me if I'm wrong) is the mantra of always using your coupon for the smallest size pack (as mentioned a lot on Extreme C). This makes sense if you are then going to get the item for free, but if you're not, I think it's worth working out the cost per ml or g (etc) to see what the better deal is.

For instance, Sanex has been 50% off in Mr S,
    250ml bottle is 45p with a 50p off coupon, making it 18p per 100ml
    500ml bottle is 87p with a 50p off coupon making it 17.4p per 100ml

so the larger size is still (marginally) cheaper.
    Yes I fully agree but it seemed the people working to get overages were using that to offset against other products that didn't reduce very well as no stores were handing back actual cash to the customer.

In that case it makes sense to try and get an overage by choosing the smallest sizes, but if this isn't permitted by the store then it's definitely worth choosing size based on cheapest unit cost. :beer:
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    thatguy1 wrote: »
    Just seen a TV advert, new series starting soon on Discovery Real Time!!

Do you know when?
  • who watched the first episode of the new series! Its amazing how the manage to be so organised to buy $1000 worth of shopping for $0!!! I love all their stockpiles, does anyone else stockpile bargains? was thinking of doing this:T
  • who watched the first episode of the new series! Its amazing how the manage to be so organised to buy $1000 worth of shopping for $0!!! I love all their stockpiles, does anyone else stockpile bargains? was thinking of doing this:T
    Absolutely! A lot of people in the coupon threads stockpile, I do too. Got 3 months worth of supplies. My mission before the end of the year is to get that up to 6 months, and by mid-2012 to have a years stockpile.

I've got hundreds of certain items all organised and neatly stacked. Stock rotation is an ongoing challenge already lol
  • think ill need to put some shelves in my big cupboard and start stocking up:T
  • Extreme couponing as seen on tv will never happen in the UK. I use to work for a company who did the deals and produced the coupons and the UK supermarket/companies are aware what goes on in USA and have put in place restrictions to ensure it doesn't happen here.

For examples Waitrose will only allow you to pay max 10% off your bill in coupons, other coupons will say one per transaction or One per household or they will only allow you to print 2 copies.

Sorry but still any saving is a bonus!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    thatguy1 wrote: »
    Just seen a TV advert, new series starting soon on Discovery Real Time!!

Has this started yet pls?
  • janetv
    janetv Posts: 43 Forumite
    Hi, yes it has, and they are running about four episodes on multiple repeat over the next week or two. If you have Sky plus you will be able to search for it on programme title. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure