Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 14th Sep 10, 2:51 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    New Demo ho-ho tivator tool!
    • 14th Sep 10, 2:51 PM
    New Demo ho-ho tivator tool! 14th Sep 10 at 2:51 PM
    Welcome to the www.DemoHOHOtivator.com discussion link

The tool's job is to show you how little savings add up for Christmas.

Do let us & other MoneySavers know what you think - and how much you can save by clicking reply
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 14-09-2010 at 8:01 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 2
    • cobblers boy
    • By cobblers boy 14th Sep 10, 4:44 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    cobblers boy
    Excellent. If I cut ot the completely frivolous and fattening crisps etc that I buy in moments of weakness (otherwise known as walking round Mr T) I could save 141 by christmas. not only that I would probably lose some weight as well which would be an added bonus.

Think I shall start a pot and put 1 in it for everyday I don't buy crisps or snacks.
  • helenhelen
    Its really good - but is there any chance you can add an every month button?
    Mum to 2 cheeky boys

2011 will be my year!!
    • thatguy1
    • By thatguy1 14th Sep 10, 5:02 PM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 23,013 Thanks
    thatguy1
    So if I stop buying junk, I could save 141.40(520 for a year) WOW
    If I stop buying the newspaper We can save 71.76(260.15 a year) WOW
    • DancerKaz
    • By DancerKaz 14th Sep 10, 5:21 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 1,921 Thanks
    DancerKaz
    Easy to follow - tho results are quite scary - Id better give up a few things me thinks!!!!
    2010 Total 6,094 2011 Total 4,542 2012 Total 1,845 2013 Total 2,274
    2014 Calendar 10 Amazon 8 Grolsch Dreamboats&Petticoats Tkts Liverpool Tkts Pizza VIP Airport Liz Earle Products Madhur Jaffrey's 80th BirthdayManicure set Lip BalmDog FoodFestival of Speed TktsCockney Rebel TktsJury's Inn StayErasure TktsShrek Tkts1,000!!!

• fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 14th Sep 10, 6:12 PM
    • 143,657 Posts
    • 4,074,056 Thanks
    fire**fly
    easy to follow, great thanks
    Please be a responsible pet owner & spay / neuter your pets, so many unwanted pets & not enough homes for them all sadly.

• kermitfrog
    • By kermitfrog 14th Sep 10, 6:13 PM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    kermitfrog
    We've a new tool to help free up some Christmas cash and we'd love you to play with it and try and break it
    Originally posted by MSE Archna
    I've had a standalone dedicated version of this for many years, which has never broken. It simply requires me to enter the price of the item and the number of times I buy it. It then gives me the total cost.

I call it a 'calculator'.
    • shazjack
    • By shazjack 14th Sep 10, 6:17 PM
    • 3,485 Posts
    • 26,321 Thanks
    shazjack
    Works fine for me thanks very easy to follow
    • betman
    • By betman 14th Sep 10, 6:46 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    betman
    Really good Martin. This really opens your eyes to how much money you can waste. I would suggest to take away the" few days" and replace with every month. Could I also thank you for all the money you have saved me and great advice you have given. I don't need a financial adviser with you there for me.
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 14th Sep 10, 7:14 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 13,763 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    That's it...absolutely no more lunches out at work for me! *Feverishly plots route to avoid Greggs*
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 14th Sep 10, 7:17 PM
    • 8,041 Posts
    • 75,168 Thanks
    hamsterfan1
    really useful
    • easter65
    • By easter65 14th Sep 10, 8:36 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 41,037 Thanks
    easter65
    Very easy to use...Quite a shock but will inspire me to cut back and save for christmas..Great little tool
    Best 2 Wins of 2016 Brand New Vauxhall Corsa & 3000
    Copying is a form of Flattery
  • r34haa
    Its funny how even just 1 can of coke can mount up to 62 by Xmas
  • ailuro2
    I too have a bit of a habit, 60p a time for coke from the vending machine at work...

much cheaper to buy it at the supermarket and take it to work, but it's COLD from the vending machine...

it's getting to the time of year when I can bring back the fridge for my office - a plastic bag hung out of the window - I'm just glad I look out onto spare ground where no one can see it (or nick it, it's ground level!)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus 27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with 1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
    • redroo555
    • By redroo555 14th Sep 10, 9:23 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    redroo555
    worked really well for me!!
    but worked out oh smoking habits, and am going to show him tom!!!!!
    i think its a great idea, makes you realise just how much you spend on things you don't really need!! well done
    i keep losing weight, but it just keeps on finding me!!!!!!
    • Swampmonster
    • By Swampmonster 14th Sep 10, 9:33 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Swampmonster
    Just tried it.

I found I could have done with a print button by it and would have liked the option of monthly buttons.

It really is marvellous though!

Off to put my list on the fridge to scare the children and stop them wasting money! LOL!!
    • Taloolah
    • By Taloolah 14th Sep 10, 10:25 PM
    • 4,392 Posts
    • 195,528 Thanks
    Taloolah
    Its amazing how much I could save by giving up my starbucks coffee, I think I will give it a try and buy a flask instead.
    Many thanks to the wonderful staff at Birmingham Childrens Hospital caring for my tiny and very poorly grandson who was born at 29 weeks. Thanks to them he is getting a little stronger every day.
    • dobydog
    • By dobydog 15th Sep 10, 7:37 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dobydog
    great tool, works well for me, frightening how much those little extras mount up to.
    • youngie
    • By youngie 15th Sep 10, 7:47 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 5,238 Thanks
    youngie
    surprising how small amounts add up but do I want to forgo the chance of winning a fortune by not buying that lottery ticket? tough call! great tool to show novice money savers how little changes add up
    Last edited by youngie; 15-09-2010 at 7:48 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
  • buddys mum
    looks good, and usefull.
  • jemtom
    eeek definately time to quit smoking cant believe how much i spend on them and how much i could save although thats my only vice but thanks martin you have made me see how much extra i could have without the ciggies!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

236Posts Today

2,752Users online

Martin's Twitter