Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Andrea
    • By Former MSE Andrea 20th Jan 09, 12:42 PM
    • 9,418Posts
    • 22,339Thanks
    Former MSE Andrea
    Get paid 7 to check your credit report for free
    • 20th Jan 09, 12:42 PM
    Get paid 7 to check your credit report for free 20th Jan 09 at 12:42 PM
    IMPORTANT UPDATE: The cashback available dropped from 7 to just 50p on Friday 23 Jan, making this loophole much less lucrative. I hope you managed to do it at the higher amount if you wanted to!

What’s the deal?

It's possible to get paid to get your credit reference pile from Experian, one of the three big credit rating agencies. The reason's simple, it wasnt you to sign up for its 80+ a year service, and thus offers a free month's trial.

So sign up, check your file, then cancel. Better still, sign up via a special cashback website, and it'll give you a cut of the promotional budget Experian gives it, so you actually make 7.

Important: Experian is one of three agencies, to do a thorough check do at least the other main one, Equifax. You'll find a loophole on how to do that for free in the Credit Rating article. Plus don't worry, doing a credit check will not affect your credit rating at all.

How does it work?

Two cashback sites, Quidco and Topcashback, will pay you 7 when you sign up to CreditExpert's free trial via them, although Quidco charges a yearly 5 admin fee to cover its costs, so if you aren't already a member, Topcashback wins.

Cashback sites get paid by the retailers if you click through them, but importantly, they then give some or all of this cash to you, provided you've registered with them. For a full explanation read the details in the Top Cashback Sites guide.

It's important to understand, the cashback isn't 100% guaranteed, as the cashback provider is reliant on the retailer paying it, but similar incarnations of this deal in the past have been fine (and you're not laying anything out anyway).

What to do to get the cash.

It's a simple process...
    • Go to a cashback site and find CreditExpert. Just go to Quidco or Topcashback and then search for it. If you're not already registered with these sites, do that first.
    • Sign up for the free trial. Sign up on the Experian Credit Expert site, enter your card details (it won't be charged)
    • View your file online. Once signed up you can view your file at no cost (either instantly or after they've sent a passcode).
    • Cancel the subscription. To avoid any cost and make the 7, cancel within 30 days of opening it, by calling 0800 656 9000. You can do this straight away; if you don't, then diarise it to avoid being charged for the next month.
    • Wait for the cashback. The 7 should appear on your cashback account within a couple of days.
    How to improve your credit score.

This note is purely about how to get the free credit file. To see the impact, understand what it means, and go through tips on how to improve it, read the full Credit Scoring guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 26-01-2009 at 5:03 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 4
    • Pieman1972
    • By Pieman1972 12th Feb 09, 9:28 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Pieman1972
    All done - total call length including the hold was 7 mins 18 seconds
    What should I put in here that won't upset people.........
    • gogsboy
    • By gogsboy 16th Feb 09, 7:03 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    gogsboy
    They have an email address CustomerService@CreditExpert.co.uk which I've used. Mind you I did get a reply saying I had to ring them! When I couldn't get through again I sent an email saying if they needed more details they should let me know what and if I didn't hear within 7 days I'd assume they had sufficient information to complete my request.

That should I think be sufficient evidence of cancellation.
    Originally posted by HM-Yorks
    I put that to the test also, they take an age to reply and when they do, like you say they want you to call.

In my email I highlighted how difficult it was to be able to talk to someone and they came back with a suggestion of trying outwith their quoted busy time, when in actual fact every time I called, it was outwith these times.

So if they struggle to answer when it's their quiet times I don't fancy attempting to get through when it's busy.
  • Sammyantha
    The freephone number to cancel has now changed - you can use 0800 5610083 instead

Signed up for the free trial only to be told it will take up to 2 days for "further checks"!! I have no intention of giving them any more information about me. It's the first time in over 10 years I've mustered up the courage to try and check my file, and i certainly won't be doing it again!

Rang them immediately to say please cancel and some chap named Benjie who refused to give a last name, stated that no charges will be levied against me as i don't have an account with them as yet. I asked how i could get confirmation of this and he said they don't give confirmation but assured me i would not be charged.

Should i still write a letter to cancel just in case?

All i did was fill out all my details and request the file, then read the notice about it taking up to 2 days to process, then phoned to cancel.

I am not on the electoral roll (and don't plan to be), i assume this is why they needed "further checks". Is there any other way to see your credit file?
    The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,185Posts Today

6,956Users online

Martin's Twitter