Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 17,112Posts
    • 283,824Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 7:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 8:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 73
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Oct 19, 8:18 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    unrecordings
    They'll be using energy from the mother plant so I'd personally chop & chuck (or maybe try and find some space to pot a couple up if poss)
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Oct 19, 3:42 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Still plugging away...
    Finally got all my greenhouse pots empty & drying before I give them a brush & hoover. Repotted my liquorice in very deep pots for overwintering in the greenhouse and started repotting my malabar spinach as I don't think it'll survive outdoors or in the workshop.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Oct 19, 5:08 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Nothing happening here except the rain and more rain, I'm getting a bit fed up with it.

I spend about 80% of my time outdoors with one thing and another. I've got some pretty good outdoor stuff but the temperature is still in the high teens so I find it very uncomfortably hot to wear loads of layers. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the top of a feed bag and two arm holes and wearing that - waterproof and lightweight !!!
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Oct 19, 7:21 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    unrecordings
    You can get those camping/festival ponchos quite cheap I think
    Maybe something like this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/summit/771005/emergency-poncho/dp/LH04503?st=poncho
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Oct 19, 8:32 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    You can get those camping/festival ponchos quite cheap I think
    Maybe something like this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/summit/771005/emergency-poncho/dp/LH04503?st=poncho
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Many thanks, I'll have a look. it sounds better than a DIY effort
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Oct 19, 9:38 AM
    • 10,526 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    -taff
    Thanks for those suggestions re thickening my green tomato sauce. DH is very impressed with it as a spread at the moment and after a rare purchase of bread (pumpernickel) the bread has all gone, suggesting he quite likes it.

I don't think I've got any Certo left in my store cupboard....
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass

You could always try boiling a couple of apples in with it..
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 19th Oct 19, 4:18 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Managed another couple of hours today, and though very tired, feel much better for it. In the never ending pot cleaning task, I had a brainwave. I got some brushes that have a hex drill shaft and attached them to my pillar drill. Makes cleaning pots with one hand so much easier (though messier). Also repotted the rest of my malabar spinach for indoors & Mrs Un dealt with the lavender.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 19th Oct 19, 5:13 PM
    • 8,999 Posts
    • 32,505 Thanks
    Primrose
    Well the lawn would have received a late cut today but we discovered the mower battery alas hadn,t been fully plugged into the charging unit when it had last been used, (it's a bit stiff to insert) so alas it was as flat as a pancake.

Hopefully an overnight charge and a dry night will enable us to get it done tomorrow. Grass still growing fast with all this rain and fairly mild temperatures so mower hibernation seems to be taking place later every year.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 19th Oct 19, 9:45 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 2,152 Thanks
    Mnd
    Nothing directly with gardening, but 1 lady on our site runs a charity table throughout the season, to put excess plants/crops etc. She raised 444 and tonight had a little drinks reception to thank the regulars who support this. We were invited and had a very pleasant evening
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 20th Oct 19, 7:50 AM
    • 8,999 Posts
    • 32,505 Thanks
    Primrose
    What a good idea to do it in a formal way like this . We do it informally in our village library where people will sometimes drop produce off but publicising it more widely and perhaps extending it to other products which are surplus to requirements might help raise a little more money.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 20th Oct 19, 3:13 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 2,152 Thanks
    Mnd
    Cut a lovely cabbage and dug a couple of parsnips for Sunday lunch.they were delicious
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 20th Oct 19, 3:32 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Mrs Un got our first year teasels planted out. I had to go back to bed...
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 21st Oct 19, 11:35 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 4,035 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    This morning tidying in the garden and picked 4 zucchini, and no they hadn't developed into marrows! The plant had a full flower on it with another on its way, so it's been saved from the compost heap for a little while. Quick early stir fry for lunch including said zucchino and chilli before a quick cuppa, browse and out there again.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 21st Oct 19, 1:38 PM
    • 10,526 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    -taff
    Not sure what to do with the strawberry runners. First year plant, should I just chop them off and chuck or chop them off and plant up? Don't really have the room to plant them up whilst still attached to the main plant
    Originally posted by MysteryMe

Probably a bit late with this but why not leave them on and plant them up into little pots until they take?
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 21st Oct 19, 11:36 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Mrs Un got our first year teasels planted out. I had to go back to bed...
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Teasels! - you actually grow teasels? I love them especially sprayed gold or silver at Christmas but they grow like weeds here. Hope you are feeling a bit more energetic soon.

I keep looking at the soggy plot, I've decided as soon as I see a bit of sun to start covering the beds with muck, on top of which I'll put a layer of paper feed bags and then that black membrane which lets the water through. 24 raised beds to do so I reckon on doing 2-3 a week. Hopefully I'll have finished before the end of the year - I've another op in Jan so I need to keep to the plan.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,857Users online

Martin's Twitter