Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • saaya2020
    • By saaya2020 21st Oct 19, 11:23 PM
    • 123Posts
    • 448Thanks
    Aged 49 and having to stop work. Need advice on savings to 55 and drawing DC, DB pension
    • #1
    • 21st Oct 19, 11:23 PM
    Aged 49 and having to stop work. Need advice on savings to 55 and drawing DC, DB pension 21st Oct 19 at 11:23 PM
    I really need your advice on this :

    My brother is 49.5yrs and he is going blind due to macular retina damage. He says it is due to staring at a computer screen for last 25 years in his job.
    He says he will have to stop working from February 2020 as he unable to work anymore. Finance details:

    He has 3 DC pensions with a total value of 340K.
    He has a DB pension with a value 11K at 65 years old.
    He has savings in his bank 170K.

    This is his retirement plan:

    1. He told me was that he would use his half his savings 90K to get him to 55 years old which is 1500 per month (leaving 80K savings left).
    2. Then he would take his DC pension from age 55.
    He says he wants to draw it down 1500 per month. (for 20 years?).
    3. Then from 65, his DB would kick in, so he gets 918 per month.
    4. Then from 67, he gets his state pension (with 30 years NI) so approx 700 per month. He would also still have that 80K left.

    This is his plan. Do you think its ok?, or could it be improved?

    His main concern is for next 5 years, from now to age 55 and how he will survive. He has 4 young kids as well.

    I would be really grateful for your advise on this retirement plan? He did ok in life but this blindness has broken him. It's worrying times. Many thanks for any help. Really Appreciated.
Page 1
    • JoeCrystal
    • By JoeCrystal 22nd Oct 19, 5:56 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    • #2
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:56 AM
    • #2
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:56 AM
    First of all, I am sorry to hear that he is going blind, but there are many adaptations he can use that caters for his disability. Many charities can help out, as well. It is undoubtedly most worth registering with his local council as blind or sight-impaired as they like to maintain the register on disabled people in their local authority. Some boards issued the yellow card for it.

    I am profoundly deaf, so I generally registered with local councils every time I move. I had a visit from the local council social worker every move for a chat. In the most recent meeting, we spent an hour or so discussing what I can get and what I can claim and so on, which was very useful. You do not need to be on DLA/PIP to request their help which is very handy once I lost DLA due to changeover to PIP. It is also worth claiming for PIP if he is affected by his blindness enough. Also, when buying the equipment designed for disabled people for personal use, you do not pay the VAT on it, so it saves money.

    But he is in some respect in a very fortunate position with a lot of assets which will help him and his children out. It could be a lot worse for him, much much worse (like deafblind). There is the reason why I personally fear blindness the most.

    Back to the point of your question, I do not see a problem with the plan actually, but someone who is more experienced would be better to answer your question on the plan.
    Last edited by JoeCrystal; 22-10-2019 at 6:11 AM.
    • uk03878
    • By uk03878 22nd Oct 19, 7:13 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    • #3
    • 22nd Oct 19, 7:13 AM
    • #3
    • 22nd Oct 19, 7:13 AM
    I would also be looking at his current employer to find out if he is due any ill health benefits
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 22nd Oct 19, 7:16 AM
    • 23,414 Posts
    • 58,621 Thanks
    • #4
    • 22nd Oct 19, 7:16 AM
    • #4
    • 22nd Oct 19, 7:16 AM
    My brother is 49.5yrs and he is going blind due to macular retina damage. He says it is due to staring at a computer screen for last 25 years in his job.
    Originally posted by saaya2020
    Slightly worrying given that I'm 50 and have stared at computer screens for my job for 32 years (including evenings spent on this forum!) I suspect it's more complex than that.
    Mrs Marleyboy

    MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

    Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Triumph13
    • By Triumph13 22nd Oct 19, 7:38 AM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    • #5
    • 22nd Oct 19, 7:38 AM
    • #5
    • 22nd Oct 19, 7:38 AM
    Make sure he gets a state pension forecast and takes any necessary steps to get a full state pension - that may be as easy as putting the child benefit in his name for a few years as that gives nI credits until the youngest is 12.

    The numbers stack up fairly easily. DB plus full SP gives 18k pa post tax eventually. 5 years of 18k is 90k from his savings leaving 80k spare. 12 years from his DC takes about 220k leaving 120k from which he could hope to draw another 3 to 4k a year post tax so all told he should probably thinking more in terms of 1,800 a month rather than 1,500.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 22nd Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    • #6
    • 22nd Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    • #6
    • 22nd Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    Sorry to hear about your brother's sight, my mother has the same condition but fortunately only in one eye.

    I'm pretty sure there are a raft of benefits when registered blind your brother will be entitled to which doesn't seem to have been calculated into his figures. PIP and carers allowance for any spouse together could be between circa 150 up to 215 per week (7.8k - 11.1k/year) assuming he qualifies and dependent on the level of support needed.

    The main benefits are: Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Employment Support Allowance, Tax credits, Access to Work, Disabled Students' Allowances, Attendance Allowance and Blind Person's Allowance. Contact us on 0300 3030 111 for more information or visit

    He/you need to ensure that he is claiming all the available benefits due to him, it's the reason he has been paying taxes and NI all these years.

    I hope this helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,432Posts Today

8,879Users online

Martin's Twitter