Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • travelniceindia
    • By travelniceindia 21st Oct 19, 12:59 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    travelniceindia
    0 WOW
    Has anyone ever gone to Vladivostok, Russia?
    • 21st Oct 19, 12:59 PM
    0 WOW
    Has anyone ever gone to Vladivostok, Russia? 21st Oct 19 at 12:59 PM
    For personal family reasons, I am interested in this city. What's it like? Is it worth a trip?
    Also, is it hard as a US citizen? What about if you have a different country's passport
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 21st Oct 19, 1:56 PM
    • 20,881 Posts
    • 123,802 Thanks
    maman
    • 21st Oct 19, 1:56 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 1:56 PM
    Never been myself as faffing about with visas has put me off.

I'd be interested in what others think as I believe UK citizens have to visit the Russian embassy in person to get a visa unless they go to Russia as part of a cruise.
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 21st Oct 19, 2:28 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    • 21st Oct 19, 2:28 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 2:28 PM
    Yes! I spent a few days there at the end of a Trans-Siberian trip.

Unfortunately this was 13 years ago though, so much is likely to have changed.

I really enjoyed spending a few days there, chilling at the end of my trip. Sure, it was a bit grubby and rough in places, but generally safe. The setting of the city is really beautiful (it's on this incredible bay), I seem to recall I ate and drank pretty well, and it had a very cute funicular railway.

I also caught a ferry from there to Japan, which was pretty great too.

Back then, with a UK passport, there were several hoops you had to jump through to get a visa. It wasn't difficult - just time-consuming. There weren't any in-person visits to embassies required, but there was quite a bit of paperwork.

I look back on that entire trip as a great experience, and would recommend Russia to anyone looking for an interesting trip away from your usual sightseeing.

(Caveat: I don't know how the worsening in international relations since then has changed things. But I'd still go back, and intend to.)
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 21st Oct 19, 2:38 PM
    • 4,930 Posts
    • 12,369 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 21st Oct 19, 2:38 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 2:38 PM
    We were interested in going to Moscow but decided it was too much of a fuss to get the visa to bother.....and I speak as a UK citizen.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 21st Oct 19, 4:14 PM
    • 13,397 Posts
    • 9,225 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 21st Oct 19, 4:14 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 4:14 PM
    We were interested in going to Moscow but decided it was too much of a fuss to get the visa to bother.....and I speak as a UK citizen.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

Same here,but there is a way round it...

Whenever there is a major sporting event in Russia or Belarus, they waive the visa requirement, typically for a month. All you need is a ticket for one of the events and then go through an on-line registration to get authority to travel. So keep your eyes open for the next such event and plan your trip around it.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 21st Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    • 6,311 Posts
    • 5,745 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:00 PM
    Not Vladivostok, but I'm in the process of Russian visa right now. You do need to visit the nearest Russian visa office to have a full set of fingerprints taken. The form is fairly straightforward if you want to DIY but for the sake of 40 quid I'd recommend using a decent agency to smooth the process (eg RealRussia.co.uk).
    The UK Government official advice is at:
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/russia/entry-requirements
    and I would expect the US government (and indeed most other developed countries) to have a similar website - have you looked?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • maman
    • By maman 21st Oct 19, 10:49 PM
    • 20,881 Posts
    • 123,802 Thanks
    maman
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:49 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:49 PM

Whenever there is a major sporting event in Russia or Belarus, they waive the visa requirement, typically for a month. All you need is a ticket for one of the events and then go through an on-line registration to get authority to travel. So keep your eyes open for the next such event and plan your trip around it.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    I was aware of this during the last World Cup. Apparently many people returned later in the year on the visa they had for the matches.

Strangely it made me cross that the Russian authorities could make it easy when it suited them.

I'd like to visit the Hermitage in St Petersburg...maybe one day.
    • travelniceindia
    • By travelniceindia 22nd Oct 19, 6:35 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    travelniceindia
    • 22nd Oct 19, 6:35 AM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 6:35 AM

When is this major sporting event happening in Russia and Belarus; How can I know more about it? I don't have enough information about it. Can you elaborate me the whole procedure of online registration during the event and get a chance to travel Russia.
    • pitarsonstiv
    • By pitarsonstiv 22nd Oct 19, 7:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pitarsonstiv
    • 22nd Oct 19, 7:41 AM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 7:41 AM
    5 years ago I went on a trip to Russia for a 20-day trip. It was memorable for me. I am from the USA and did not find any issue with visa or any online process. It was simple as other international tours. There are many beautiful places to visit, even food. Really I was nice to tour. If I get chance then I would like to visit there once again.
    • John259
    • By John259 22nd Oct 19, 12:41 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    John259
    Some good information here...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/RussianPlus/search?query=vladivostok
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 22nd Oct 19, 2:45 PM
    • 13,397 Posts
    • 9,225 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    When is this major sporting event happening in Russia and Belarus; How can I know more about it? I don't have enough information about it. Can you elaborate me the whole procedure of online registration during the event and get a chance to travel Russia.
    Originally posted by travelniceindia

They seem to happen about once a year. Last year there was a major football competition in Russia, and earlier this year (June) there was some Athletics contest in Belarus (since there is no border between the two countries that also gave access to Russia). Just keep your eyes open for news of the next one.
    • travelniceindia
    • By travelniceindia 23rd Oct 19, 5:55 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    travelniceindia
    They seem to happen about once a year. Last year there was a major football competition in Russia, and earlier this year (June) there was some Athletics contest in Belarus (since there is no border between the two countries that also gave access to Russia). Just keep your eyes open for news of the next one.

Thanks for sharing this important information.
    • IvanDP
    • By IvanDP 23rd Oct 19, 9:27 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    IvanDP
    We did a 3 week trip to Russia earlier this year.
    Flew to Moscow, then on to Vladivostok (8.5 hours) and then spent a couple of days there before embarking on our |Trans Siberian Railway trip.
    Visas for UK citizens are not too difficult, but there are a few throwbacks from the old Soviet days meaning it is a little long winded.
    (Letter of invitation, having to visit a visa centre, etc)

As far as Vladivostok goes, I would personally say that it is well worth visiting.
    The Russian far east is a very interesting place, with its mix of Soviet and Asian influences.
    Vladivostok itself has a lot to offer a visitor.
    Language is not a problem, many people speak very good English, and for those who don't, the international language of hand gestures, or Google Translate works too.
    My personal advice would be to go for it and I truly believe you will thoroughly enjoy it
    • travelniceindia
    • By travelniceindia 24th Oct 19, 6:07 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    travelniceindia
    Ohh really? then I would love to visit surely. Can you please tell me the one thing? What season would be good to go there, I mean the best weather condition for enjoying the trip? Thanks
    • IvanDP
    • By IvanDP 24th Oct 19, 7:56 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    IvanDP
    Ohh really? then I would love to visit surely. Can you please tell me the one thing? What season would be good to go there, I mean the best weather condition for enjoying the trip? Thanks
    Originally posted by travelniceindia
    We went in early June and the weather was great., although occasionally a little breezy.
    Nothing a thin jacket didn't sort out though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,222Posts Today

7,208Users online

Martin's Twitter