£29,303...Enough is enough!

Comments

• That's really bad of them... fingers crossed he finds something else soon
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • WelshKitty85
    WelshKitty85 Posts: 1,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you both. He's applied for anything and everything he can find so hopefully something will come along soon. I just hate the uncertainty. Fortunately, we have plenty of food in the freezer from stocking up on yellow stickers bargains. We've got £700 in savings, or just over £1000 if we pay DHs car insurance monthly instead of a lump sum next month. I've got a box hidden away filled with Xmas choccies and biscuits, a bag full of presents for DD from the b00ts January sale, and a few presents each put away for DH, and DC 2 & 3. I've got £50 am@zon vouchers and close to cashing out another £25 on SB. So whilst it's not an ideal situation, I know that the prepping, foraging, bargain hunting, and stashing have all been worthwhile. If necessary, we can survive a few months without DHs income, and I don't need to worry about Christmas.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,355 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sorry to hear about the job loss - a lot of employers are scared of giving a reason in case the person sues. Hope your DH finds somewhere soon.

It sounds like you have a good store cupboard and EF to help get you through. Congrats. Thd kids too sound young enough that they are unlikely to notice much which may help too. Sucks though. Hugs.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • What awful news. Sounds like you have a good base though. My husband was out of work for 13months, I worked two jobs, it was tough but we managed to get through it with a similar debt level too. Hope something comes up for him
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • WelshKitty85
    WelshKitty85 Posts: 1,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you savingholmes and drawingaline.

In a little good news our tax credits have gone up ever so slightly after the renewal has been processed, and I've been offered some overtime that I can do from home. DH has applied for more jobs so keeping hopeful that something will come up for him soon.
  • I wish I was logging on to report that DH had found a new job, but no such luck yet. He's had an interview but wasn't successful. He hasn't heard back from most of the jobs he's applied for, but hopefully something will come up soon. His old employer have paid his wages late and his wages are short. He's also taken some advice about being dismissed without notice and he's been told to make a claim for payment in lieu of notice. It won't be a huge amount, and I'm not expecting them to pay without a fight, but would be really useful right now.

As things are tight I'm making an effort this month to be cash neutral with my spends. This means having a big clear out to sell some items and use the cash from this for grocery shopping. I got off to a good start selling my old phone for £65. I've done a big shop and have £15 left in my purse. We've got plenty of items to sell (clothes and toys the children have outgrown etc) so I need to make an effort to get them photographed and listed.

We went to a lovely firework display this evening and I'm feeling quite proud of my forward planning. I knew there would be fast food stalls there so I cooked some burgers just before we left, took them with us in a container stuffed with a hot water bottle, and they were still piping hot when we got there. I even remembered to take the burger baps, cheese slices, and sauces. Unfortunately, DC3 didn't like the fireworks and spent 20 minutes clinging on to me with his eyes closed.
  • We finally got round to sorting the garage yesterday and listing items for sale. I've made 2 sales today totalling £35. There should be another £10 but somebody didn't turn up to collect :mad:. We've done a small top up shop and I now have £41.62 left in my purse, which should be perfectly adequate for another weeks worth of cash neutral grocery shopping. We've still got another 7 rooms inside the house to sort through and sell items too!

We've temporarily increased out debt today in order to shift the FD loan (9.9% interest) to 0% cc deal which should pay off in the long term.
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear about OH's job that's terrible, you're doibg well to remain cash neutral at this stage
  • Thank you Lemon Tree.

In a massive surprise, DHs old employer have responded to him admitting they owe him money. They're currently offering him £550, whereas we think it's about £800 he's owed. We're going to look at the figures again and question it further, but it's a huge relief that they've admitted to owing something.
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That's great that they're admitting they owe him something
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills