Smart Meters

I have smart meters but not fitted by my current supplier. Can these meters be converted to work with my current supplier and with any other supplier?
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly

Comments

• Biscuit_Tin
    Biscuit_Tin Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 21 October 2019 at 11:15AM
    I have smart meters but not fitted by my current supplier. Can these meters be converted to work with my current supplier and with any other supplier?

Maybe/hopefully.

But not currently.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/11/smart-meters-tech-problem-delay/

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/smart-meters/
  • Mealyn
    Mealyn Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Now here's a thing, was with EDF who supplied and fitted a second generation meter who when questioned ,assured me it would work with other major energy companies. Well switched to British Gas who informs me that I will need a new smart meter as they cannot obtain remotely the meter readings. I will have to send them readings if I choose to keep this relatively new smart meter. My display tells me how much energy I am using but not the costs. I find it appalling that the cost of these meters (which indirectly customers pay for) have to be renewed each time we switch energy companies. Well they are supposed to be fixing this problem and I have decided to just send them the readings which I have done for donkey years before this smart meter debacle. What a waste of money!
  • Mealyn wrote: »
    Now here's a thing, was with EDF who supplied and fitted a second generation meter who when questioned ,assured me it would work with other major energy companies. Well switched to British Gas who informs me that I will need a new smart meter as they cannot obtain remotely the meter readings. I will have to send them readings if I choose to keep this relatively new smart meter. My display tells me how much energy I am using but not the costs. I find it appalling that the cost of these meters (which indirectly customers pay for) have to be renewed each time we switch energy companies. Well they are supposed to be fixing this problem and I have decided to just send them the readings which I have done for donkey years before this smart meter debacle. What a waste of money!

It's unlikely that you had "fitted a second generation meter"
    It's also unlikely that as you already have smart meters that they will be replaced, at least not without charge.
    Please read the above links to understand why.
  • Mealyn
    Mealyn Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for replying.
    Well I knew about this 1st and 2nd generation smart meters which is why I queried what meter were they fitting and whether it would work with other energy companies. I was given that assurance they would so someone was telling porkies! British gas will fit an new smart meter with out charging me. Its up to me whether I want one or not. Its the waste of money that gets to me .
  • Thanks, as I thought not so smart after all and what a total waste money. Would have thought that it was easy enough to make the modem programmable to phone another supplier.
    Good business for the meter manufacturers.
    I have a remote display unit but the very thing I want to read, the meter reading, it doesn't display.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport