Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,321Posts
    • 13,938Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 7:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 7:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £845 SPC 13 -
Page 33
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 21st Oct 19, 4:26 PM
    • 4,149 Posts
    • 18,501 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I'm going to start wrapping this week, I tend to wrap a family at a time, then all go into a bag, which is named, I find it easier to keep track.

Well, my plan on writing my cards went to pot at the weekend, either picked up a bug or food poisoning, once I had stopped being very closely acquainted with the loo, I developed a strange relationship with my bed! Not spent that much time in bed ever. Hopefully will manage to eat something this evening, for first time in 3 days, going to have to be something bland. On the plus side, it has to be some weight loss

Only 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 21st Oct 19, 8:41 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 17,884 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I tend to do my wrapping in early December so the pressies can go round the tree. Might be different this year as I’ve recently got two very inquisitive kittens (aka the hooligans) so I don’t think anything will be safe if it’s accessible. I like to get wrapped early so I can relax but DD2 always prevents that by arriving to stay on Christmas Eve with all DGD’s pressies still to be wrapped!

Ew GTQ that sounds horrible, hope you’re well and truly on the mend.

Loving everyone’s Christmas chat, sorry I’m not joining in more but Mum has been in hospital for six weeks and has just moved to a nursing home so it’s all a bit mind numbing at the moment. Catching up with all that you’re up to is keeping me festive though.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 22nd Oct 19, 8:45 AM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 23,716 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    GTQ - Hope you feel better soon
    Peppa - Sorry to hear about your DM. A difficult time for you and the family, I'm sure.

I've drawn my Step-Bro in our secret santa. He lives in South Korea and is a nightmare to buy for at the best of times. Budgets £20, not included P&P. I'm stuck. Clothes seems too easy.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • Franky2019
    • By Franky2019 22nd Oct 19, 11:16 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Franky2019
    Hi

I think im in the wrong place!

Is there a Christmas hamper thread for 2019?
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 22nd Oct 19, 11:56 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 17,884 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Hi FRANKY, there used to be a couple of threads especially for hampers with lots of lovely pictures but they don’t seem to be available any more. I tend not to venture off this thread much so there could be some new ones that I’ve just not found. If you give us an idea of the sort of hampers you want to do, or the people you want to do them for, I’m sure you’ll get lots of ideas on this thread, I think most of us have done hampers in the past or still do them.
    • rainbow_791
    • By rainbow_791 23rd Oct 19, 8:45 AM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    rainbow_791
    Hi, love this thread and thought it was time to join in. I've made a good start on presents this year but struggling with the men and what to buy them. I think I am going to get OH something for his computer but stuck on my dad - thinking a hamper but no idea what, I have made a start with toffee vodka but struggling after that. Any ideas for awkward men would be amazing

Hopefully going to start wrapping this weekend - the most exciting time of the year!!
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 23rd Oct 19, 3:05 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 12,775 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi, I’ve had a quick read back but don’t have time to comment on everything I want to or do a proper post. Christmas plans steadily coming along here!

Stirchley gosh that must have been scary with the carbon monoxide alarm! I’m glad they got someone out to you quickly. We have one so it would probably be good to check on it. Thanks for the reminder!

Beshki do you think your Grandma might appreciate a gift to charity in her name? There are lots of things out there where you can buy ‘gifts’ such as a goat for a family etc or send a child to school for a month, I’m thinking of doing that this year for my husband’s Grandma as she sounds in a similar situation to yours. Last year we had a tree dedicated to her in the local forest centre which she loved.
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 24th Oct 19, 10:53 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 2,376 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Got my next lot of supplies to go in my stash.....A spiced apple scent candle to go in my Advent box, chocolate tree decorations, a box of stuffing mix for Christmas dinner and a box of Gingerbread flavour matchmakers.....they're all for me!! Very happy to get some more things ticked off my list
    DFBX19 #148 - 31/10/2019 - £3,254/£4,782 68% gone Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Oct 2019 - £6,245
    November NST #20 - SPC-13 #136
    • mandco
    • By mandco 24th Oct 19, 6:43 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    mandco
    Gtq hope your are feeling better stomach bugs are the worst and it can take a while to feel back to normal

Peppa sorry to hear about your mum must have been a worrying few weeks

Tesco express had the galaxy selection packs 1/2 price £1.50(still full price online) so picked up a few as at that price they are actually worth it as you get 6 full size items. They may not actually make it till xmas though

Ds hoodie I ordered from china came and I was actually pretty impressed with the quality. I ordered a Large and its a good fit for a uk small so ds will be very happy.

Got taz a xmas minecraft jumper from primark its not overly xmas themed so he should get plenty of wear out of it. Also got him minecraft fleece pj's, dressing gown and slippers for the xmas box I usually get xmas ones but the ones I got him last year still fit.

Was browsing the dunlem site and I really like the wicker tree skirts they have also got my eye on the teddy bear bedding they do so looking out for any offers/discount codes

Hoping to get to home bargains soon as haven't been for ages anyone know if they have much xmas stock in yet?
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 24th Oct 19, 11:11 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 17,884 Thanks
    Peppapig
    MANDCO our HB has got quite a big selection of Christmas things out already although I suspect they may add more once the Halloween stuff is out of the way next week.
    Last edited by Peppapig; 24-10-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 25th Oct 19, 7:41 AM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 6,252 Thanks
    I Love comps
    In preparation for Christmas. Today I will be making my Christmas Cake. I am making a slightly smaller one than I usually do. There are only two of us at present here over Christmas.
    Last edited by I Love comps; 27-10-2019 at 8:54 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 25th Oct 19, 6:00 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Hi all! I'm pleased to say we have finally moved & are in our new house. We've been unpacking, decorating & just generally working hard to get it looking lovely for Christmas and make it cosy for Winter. I'm so glad we're in though because I can now start my Christmas shopping. I have usually made a start by now, but because we were moving I didn't want to risk placing any orders & then have them delivered to our old address when we'd moved out. But now I can get going & I can't wait!! As it's Friday today, I am definitely going to be getting some online shopping done.

I'm looking forward to catching up with the thread so I can see what you've all bought & hopefully pick up some ideas
    • junior_j
    • By junior_j 26th Oct 19, 3:06 AM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 19,587 Thanks
    junior_j
    Hello you lovely people,

I am feeling super christmassy. Picked up mum a sloth stress ball (£1)
    3 pack of sloth socks (£4) peacocks.

Best friend pug socks (£1)

I think I am biting off more than I can chew here , I was thinking of doing mum a selection of gifts which would be relevant to her child hood years. I saw a 4 pack of snowball drinks in Iceland. She's mentioned them a few times in the past Xmas times.

So I wonder what more items I can add. She was born in 1959. Only child , her mum died when my mum was 18. Her father was a disgusting animal so I don't want him acknowledged. Any idea?

Also got a few more prezzies but it's 3am and my eyes are heavy.

Keeping myself as fit and healthy as possible,I spent 2 more nights in hospital this week , a reminder I always seem to get shunt malfunctions or severe infections this time of year.

Anyway take care all xx
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • mandco
    • By mandco 26th Oct 19, 11:38 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    mandco
    Just popping in quick
    Superdrug have lynx & dove sets down to £2.79 they are also still 3 for 2 instore (not sure if its online) making it £5.58 for 3
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 26th Oct 19, 12:29 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    junior_j - Could you get her some albums by bands/singers who had #1 hits during the 60s and 70s? Or DVDs of some films that were big hits during those years?
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £761.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 26th Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 2,376 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Just a little thing from me.....4 x gift bags in Card Factory for £1. I only need 4 so that's me sorted Saw some lovely wrapping paper designs too but had hubby with me and he was tutting enough buying the bags. I'll have to go back another day without him
    DFBX19 #148 - 31/10/2019 - £3,254/£4,782 68% gone Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Oct 2019 - £6,245
    November NST #20 - SPC-13 #136
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 26th Oct 19, 3:36 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Beshki
    Is anyone going for (or has anyone in the past) gone down the route of a ‘good for the environment’ wrapping option? Is plain brown paper packing paper the only option? It’s Ok if it is, just wondered if anyone had any advice to share.

Thanks for all the suggestions for my Gran - I love them all. Unfortunately whilst I am a very charitable person and totally love the idea of giving a charitable gift on her behalf, she is most certainly not (refers to me as a ‘do-gooder )!
    • junior_j
    • By junior_j 28th Oct 19, 1:32 AM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 19,587 Thanks
    junior_j
    junior_j - Could you get her some albums by bands/singers who had #1 hits during the 60s and 70s? Or DVDs of some films that were big hits during those years?
    Originally posted by VintageHistorian
    That's a great idea . Thank you x

Just a little thing from me.....4 x gift bags in Card Factory for £1. I only need 4 so that's me sorted Saw some lovely wrapping paper designs too but had hubby with me and he was tutting enough buying the bags. I'll have to go back another day without him
    Originally posted by aimeemum
    I love card factory for paper/bags/cards and festive stocking stuffers.

Is anyone going for (or has anyone in the past) gone down the route of a ‘good for the environment’ wrapping option? Is plain brown paper packing paper the only option? It’s Ok if it is, just wondered if anyone had any advice to share.

Thanks for all the suggestions for my Gran - I love them all. Unfortunately whilst I am a very charitable person and totally love the idea of giving a charitable gift on her behalf, she is most certainly not (refers to me as a ‘do-gooder )!
    Originally posted by Beshki
    Not sure if there is a service in you area that do it ,how about the afternoon tea delivery , posh a special treat , everything included? No worries about mobility , comfort of her own surroundings and more importantly one on one time together?

I went through my wardrobe earlier and organised gifts I have so far.

Dad- t shirt

Mum- sloth socks
    Sloth stress ball
    Nail files
    Re juvenating face mask

Bff- white kitkat chunkies
    Pug socks

Her husband - marvel blanket

Bff mum - gin and tonic gummies
    2020 diary

So just little bits and bobs. Tuesday will be the start of the bigger presents. Sort of glad I'm paid weekly to be honest

Right , that's me off to bed. Take care guys xx
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 28th Oct 19, 11:48 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    LMG1305

Originally posted by Beshki
    I'd like to go down the brown paper wrapping route this year, but there is currently conflicting information on whether our local council can recycle it. They have recently changed who they use to recycle & on the official letter we had from the council it says brown paper cannot be recycled, but one of our local councillors put a post on Facebook saying it can be recycled. A few people have emailed the council to find out what's going on.

Anyway to answer your question, brown paper seems to be the only option I can think of, but it might be worth just putting the question into Google to see what comes up. I know it's a hot topic at the moment so there might be somebody offering alternatives, although right now I think most environmentally friendly options seem to come with a higher price tag.
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 28th Oct 19, 12:42 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Beshki
    LMG I’m glad I checked this! Just assumed it was recyclable. I will have a Google, thank you x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

8,437Users online

Martin's Twitter