Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bedhead1157
    • By Bedhead1157 21st Oct 19, 7:16 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Bedhead1157
    Getting a vehicle back from a mechanic.
    • 21st Oct 19, 7:16 PM
    Getting a vehicle back from a mechanic. 21st Oct 19 at 7:16 PM
    Earlier this year the ABS pump packed up on my BMW motorcycle, BMW were looking over 1500 to fix it. Contacted the local "independant" BMW bike expert who reckoned he could rebuild the pump and it would be roughly 300. Made an appointment to leave the bike in, and when I rang to confirm he said that the repair kit wasn't available any more and the whole pump would need to be sent away, it'd take about a week. As I was going on holiday that wasn'tg a problem so I dropped the bike off. When I came back from holiday I tried getting in touch, he repeatedly wouldn't answer calls or texts, I went up to the premises a few times, it was closed, once the bike was sitting outside but none would answer the door or phone.

Eventually I got the hold of him and he said the bike was ready, I asked him how much and he said he hadn't worked it all out, I arrange to pick the bike up, but on the day he texted me saying he was in hospital and that he would contact me today to arrange to deliver it to me.

Needless to say he didn't phone. I went up to the premises and he was there. I told him that I could get my wife to drop our son up to ride the bike home, but he claimed he had taken the keys home. He still says he cant give me a total as his computer is "Doing an update"

I told him I was coming up tomorrow at 5.30 to lift the bike and he said that was ok, he'd text me the total and I'd have it before I got home. That was t 4.30. I'm just waiting for his next excuse not to give the bike back,

He's had the bike well over a month now, still cant tell me what I owe him and I don't believe that I will get the bike back at all, let alone in a repaired condition.

I was told the maximum for small claims in NI is 3000, the bike is worth considerably more than that. Can anyone tell me what my options are legally?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • shinytop
    • By shinytop 21st Oct 19, 7:40 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    shinytop
    • 21st Oct 19, 7:40 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 7:40 PM
    Well if he won't give you your bike back at all, that's easy because it's theft. If it's as simple as that call the police an claim on your insurance. It sounds like he has messed something up though and is stalling. I think you'll have to see what condition the bike is in when you get it back. I thought the limit was 10k - but that's England.
    • SHAFT
    • By SHAFT 21st Oct 19, 8:10 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    SHAFT
    • 21st Oct 19, 8:10 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 8:10 PM
    Well if he won't give you your bike back at all, that's easy because it's theft. If it's as simple as that call the police an claim on your insurance. It sounds like he has messed something up though and is stalling. I think you'll have to see what condition the bike is in when you get it back. I thought the limit was 10k - but that's England.
    Originally posted by shinytop
    As it stands I see incompetence rather than dishonesty so far, so it's not a simple theft.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,284Posts Today

8,861Users online

Martin's Twitter