Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    After all, it seems that closing the account is easy enough - just stop the monthly payments and they will close it anyway.
    I believe what they say is that they may downgrade it to "Bank Account" if they review the account and find you're not meeting the Advance T&Cs. At least they used to say that.
  • abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 October 2019 at 8:53AM
    I didn't have a problem setting up and switching to HSBC. It went pretty smoothly and the £175 was paid quickly (within 7 days of opening). The only issue I had was that they blocked the account when I set up a standing order to take the monthly pay in amount (minus £250 for the RS) back out of the account due to the value of it. The initial call to their fraud team didn't go well...(they told me they couldn't help because it was "out of hours" despite it being within there stated opening hours and to call back the next day). I called back the next day to be told the person I had previously spoken to was incorrect and should have sorted it as I was in fact within their opening hours. They sorted it and paid £50 into my account as compensation (which I wasn't expecting).
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    abz88 wrote: »
    I didn't have a problem setting up and switching to HSBC. It went pretty smoothly and the £175 was paid quickly (within 7 days of opening). The only issue I had was that they blocked the account when I set up a standing order to take the monthly pay in amount (minus £250 for the RS) back out of the account due to the value of it. The initial call to their fraud team didn't go well...(they told me they couldn't help because it was "out of hours" despite it being within there stated opening hours and to call back the next day). I called back the next day to be told the person I had previously spoken to was incorrect and should have sorted it as I was in fact within their opening hours. They sorted it and paid £50 into my account as compensation (which I wasn't expecting).
    This payment blocking is a worrying aspect of HSBC accounts which seems to be emerging as a common problem with them. Thanks for your input.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    This payment blocking is a worrying aspect of HSBC accounts which seems to be emerging as a common problem with them. Thanks for your input.
    I am actually very grateful to HSBC for blocking a 3-figure payment to a fastfood chain establishment about a year ago. (It appears my card has been compromised, my mantra since is "never ever use an ATM in close proximity of popular transport hubs in London")
  • abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    I am actually very grateful to HSBC for blocking a 3-figure payment to a fastfood chain establishment about a year ago. (It appears my card has been compromised, my mantra since is "never ever use an ATM in close proximity of popular transport hubs in London")

The main issue I had with it is that there fraud team is only open 08:00 to 20:00 (although the person I initially spoke to said 08:00 to 17:00/18:00 (he wasn't sure)). So if fraudulent transactions take place out with this time, you cannot sort it until potentially the next day. For a bank that size, I would expect a 24hr fraud team.
  • HSBC £175 Switch: "Can't have had an HSBC bank account since 2016". I have had a M&S account since then, which I understand is HSBC 'underneath'. Do we know whether I'd be eligible for the switch and money?
    Increasingly money-conscious
    :cool:
  • YorkshireBoy
    oligopoly wrote: »
    HSBC £175 Switch: "Can't have had an HSBC bank account since 2016". I have had a M&S account since then, which I understand is HSBC 'underneath'. Do we know whether I'd be eligible for the switch and money?
    An M&S current account is not an HSBC account. Need further clarification?...see footnote 1 in the incentive T&Cs.
  • oligopoly wrote: »
    HSBC £175 Switch: "Can't have had an HSBC bank account since 2016". I have had a M&S account since then, which I understand is HSBC 'underneath'. Do we know whether I'd be eligible for the switch and money?
    I'd say you'll probably be ok. In any event all you have to lose by applying is a search on your credit file. If that's not an issue for you then I would say go for it anyway. Good luck.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2019 at 2:09PM
    oligopoly wrote: »

There's no crossover whatsoever. They are completely separate banks, in the same way the Lloyds Group banks are separate. You can receive incentives from all three, (HSBC, First Direct & M&S). The only thing is to remember is that they share the £85,000 cover in case of bank collapse.
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • YorkshireBoy
    There's no crossover whatsoever. They are completely separate banks, in the same way the Lloyds Group banks are separate. You can receive incentives from all three, (HSBC, First Direct & M&S). The only thing is to remember is that they share the £85,000 cover in case of bank collapse.
    Well 2 of the 3 do. 1 stands alone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure