Warm Home Discount

Comments

• That is correct. It is a level playing field.

Core group is the level playing field.

Broader group is a lottery with its its own eligibility criteria and a limit on how many discounts it will pay out.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Hi, my mother is 90, will she get it automatically from the DWP?

Or would i have to apply for her.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hi, my mother is 90, will she get it automatically from the DWP?

Or would i have to apply for her.

If she qualifies under the core group, then yes she will automatically get it, (asuming her supplier is part of the WHD scheme), otherwise she will have to claim it under the broader group.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    That is correct. It is a level playing field.

Core group is the level playing field.

Broader group is a lottery with its its own eligibility criteria and a limit on how many discounts it will pay out.

But the broader group is not a level playing field, as different suppliers have different qualifying criteria.
  • aged 90 one would not get WHD

one would get winter heating allowance
  • But the broader group is not a level playing field, as different suppliers have different qualifying criteria.

Look:
    Core group are examined and decided by legislation to be 'deserving fuel poor.'
    Broader group self certificate that they claim they too are deserving.

If any member of the Broader group fitted into the core group they would without having to claim be automatically put in the DWP administered core group.

Core=actuality (state of existing in reality) fuel poor.
    Broader=share in a taxpayer lottery.

Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Ofgem:

Broader Group

If you are eligible to receive the WHD rebate with your current supplier and are thinking about changing suppliers, you may wish to check that the supplier you are considering moving to also participates in the WHD scheme and that you are eligible under their scheme.

If you are successful in applying for a Broader Group rebate with one energy supplier, then we would suggest you wait until you have received the rebate before switching to a new supplier. If you received a Broader Group rebate from your old supplier, you should not assume that you will be entitled to receive a Broader Group rebate from your new supplier.
  • MarkN88 wrote: »
    Ofgem:

Broader Group

If you are eligible to receive the WHD rebate with your current supplier and are thinking about changing suppliers, you may wish to check that the supplier you are considering moving to also participates in the WHD scheme and that you are eligible under their scheme.

If you are successful in applying for a Broader Group rebate with one energy supplier, then we would suggest you wait until you have received the rebate before switching to a new supplier. If you received a Broader Group rebate from your old supplier, you should not assume that you will be entitled to receive a Broader Group rebate from your new supplier.

eligibility date , usually earlier in year
  • Broader group.

All WHD is paid by all of us in these islands by way of an extra tax on our tariff. Core and Broader group criteria facts have been listed by me.

So everyone, all 100% of us pay all 100% of all handouts. Different suppliers have differing "applications open" dates and different emphasis on broader group application criteria.

Core group [18-19 example] would usually get a (brown envelope) snail mail letter from the Government between October and December 2018. The letter will have an M (Matched) or U (Unmatched) reference number.

Customers with an M reference will get the payment by 31 December 2018.

Customers with a U reference will need to follow the instructions on the letter to get the payment.

Facts. Best of luck.
  • Essmum
    Essmum Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post
    It's not taxpayers money..the money is paid by the energy companies.Any supplier with over 150,000 customers has to offer the WHD for Core customers..any supplier with over 250,000 customers has to offer Core and Broader group.
    The criteria for Broader group is set by the government,some suppliers are more lenient with the criteria but they do all have to follow the basic guidelines set by the government.
    You are best to set yourself a reminder from early August to check with your supplier when they will be opening applications as they do only have a certain amount of applications each year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure