Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 28th Jul 18, 11:09 PM
    • 1,780Posts
    • 12,900Thanks
    elsiepac
    October 2019 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jul 18, 11:09 PM
    October 2019 Grocery Challenge 28th Jul 18 at 11:09 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2019 !!!!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of £600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at £15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at £280 per month and brought it down to £240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to £260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out £20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for £X off a spend of £XX - if you had no NEED to spend £XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. Mr M is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a bread maker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obviously if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better health wise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy £7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 to #10 this thread (the list is growing!!!!!)

For everyone's totals, see post #3 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

elsiepac
    Last edited by elsiepac; 18-09-2019 at 8:15 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Sep 19 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
Page 10
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 19th Oct 19, 12:48 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 8,486 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Spent £19 in Aldi, battered fish, I like the big ones £3 ? for 2, got haddock and cod, fresh veg, including swede and broccoli in super 6, S.R. flour, crumpets and eggs, ate the last 2 eggs on the last 2 crumpets yesterday, putting shopping away and guess what tray of eggs in fridge, I put them in a basket on side when using, and basket was empty, who was it suggested taking a photo of the inside of fridge before shopping.
    2018 £2285/£2149
    2019 £2000-£10=£263-£8=£255-£31=£224-£31=£193
    • Vanlady
    • By Vanlady 19th Oct 19, 2:15 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Vanlady
    £181.80/£210 nsd 9/16

"who was it suggested taking a photo of the inside of fridge before shopping."

I'm of the same mind as you Pamsdish....I popped into Aldddi this morning for milk, potatoes and various cheeses (to make cheese, onion and garlic tear/share bread for my gathering tomorrow). I was actually queuing up at the till when I suddenly realised I'd forgot cheddar so I did a marathon run, pushing everyone out of the way to the cheese aisle to grab some whilst the lady behind me saved my place.....only to get home and notice in the fridge that we have 1 and a half packs already

However, I'm trying to be organised so much so that (trumpet blow ) I have started to make a shopping list for November. That's not something I've ever done before except maybe for my Xmas lists.
    I'm really trying hard to keep focused, and thats why I love this challenge.
    Meals planned for the week include veg tortilla with steamed veg or beans, hm fishcakes with steamed veg and mixed bean chilli with brown rice.
    Right, back into the kitchen for me, working on various types of dough, including a sourdough, to be baked in the morning.
    And thank you Elsiepac, you've been very busy updating us.
    Good luck everyone
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 19th Oct 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 12,900 Thanks
    elsiepac
    My last portion of squash and chickpea curry didn't get eaten last night as I didn't have much of an appetite, instead I had 4 leeks, sliced and steamed, and topped with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Sounds odd, but I REALLY love steamed leeks and had been dreaming about those for a couple of days!

I thought I would have porridge for breakfast today and the curry for lunch, but I'm still very much not myself and in the grip of this illness, and ended up sleeping later than I had wanted (which has happened every day this week!!) and didn't have time to eat before my sister came over for help with her computer. She ended up taking me (looking very pale and with no make up on ) up to a new local cafe place that has opened for lunch to say thank you, so that was very nice and unexpected, but I'm glad to be home again in my cosy clothes and not having to go out again! I feel so knocked out, it's very strange!

I need to try and have the curry for tea as it's right at the boundaries of still being okay to eat and I don't like wasting food.

Thinking I will make a basic pasta salad for my lunches next week, porridge for breakfasts, and something to go with rice or jackets for teas. Simple wholesome food.

I have almond milk and oats for my porridge, so no spends needed there. I have pasta, and enough veg to prep the salads for at least two days, and I STILL have some jerk stew portions in the freezer - there are 4 frozen things in there, 3 of which are definitely this stew thing and 1 which might be or could be a mystery!

So actually, I can live without going to shops until Tuesday evening I think, as the stew has tons of veg in so I'm not worried about doing a side, so all I'll need will be more stuff for lunches for Wed-Fri.
    Last edited by elsiepac; 19-10-2019 at 2:57 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • tighteningthebelt
    • By tighteningthebelt 19th Oct 19, 3:33 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    tighteningthebelt
    Hello people. I did the challenge til May, then fell off the wagon as I had family business that has taken lots of time and energy to resolve. Lots of things have been on the back burner. However I did keep every single receipt and today I have sat down and done all my sums, then updated my signature. Well it certainly could have been better, but it also could have been very much worse! I've been to and fro and have eaten at cafes more than I usually would. I've also had Asda deliveries rather than aldi/lidl as I haven't had the energy to do a shop. I doubt I will be anywhere near target. Still we are where we are, and I cant (re)start anywhere else.
    I'll try and read at least this October thread and catch up with everyone.
    "Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more" Louis L'Amour
    GC (annual budget) £314.88 left of £1800 on 19th October. (pretty sure I'm not going to make that target!!)
    24.9/65
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 19th Oct 19, 7:03 PM
    • 3,194 Posts
    • 38,812 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Plot slightly lost here - it's been a hectic day, more on the preserving front than at the Repair Cafe - but I went off to the market with £60 and came back with £40, some cheese & a trolley full of fruit & veg, so I've added £20 to my total! Now it won't matter whether I manage to fly down there at lunchtime tomorrow or not (which depends how many Offspring & partners are planning to put in an appearance) as we've plenty in.

And we now have another batch of HM passata, and 8 jars of quince & apple marmalade, too...
    Angie

GC Nov 19 - £344.66/£450
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 11 coupons left out of 66

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 19th Oct 19, 7:49 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 12,900 Thanks
    elsiepac
    Simple Mug Cake
    £3.35 spent in Sainsbobs on cherry tomatoes, a cucumber (both for pasta salad), a small bag of SR flour and a bar of plain cooking chocolate.

I wanted the flour and chocolate to make mug cakes!! It's a recipe I adapted to keep it super simple and I call it a 4321 recipe...

4 tbsps SR flour
    3 tbsps plant milk (I'm sure dairy milk would be fine for those of you who don't use plant milk)
    2 tbsps sugar
    1 tbsp oil (don't use olive)

Mix the above well in a microwavable mug along with a few drops of vanilla if you have some.
    Add in either choc chips or chunks, or a few frozen berries, etc and mix again. This is totally optional but recommended.
    Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes and eat! But don't burn your tongue

This is kind of a pudding consistency and would also be great with ice cream or cream!

SPC No 074
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • ancientmum
    • By ancientmum 20th Oct 19, 10:28 AM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    ancientmum
    Happy Sunday, thank you elsiepac for the mug cake recipe and for updating the thread. A quick update before I slope off to the allotment to make the most of the sunshine we have here today.
    Shopping at Adli and Sinsbury totalled £30.80. I had to get some cat litter and a couple of small bottles of wine. I will use the bottles for the rhubarb gin which is steeping in my cupboard, to give as presents. The wine was not bad either
    If life is a journey, I want comfy shoes
    Grocery Challenge 2019 £1155.34/2000, including pet stuff, toiletries and take-aways
    Make 2019 in 2019 no. 110 £630.84/2019
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 20th Oct 19, 12:40 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 8,486 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Simple mug cakes.
    Thanks Elsie will give these a go today with the berry option.
    2018 £2285/£2149
    2019 £2000-£10=£263-£8=£255-£31=£224-£31=£193
    • jam2019
    • By jam2019 20th Oct 19, 2:44 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    jam2019
    Spent £4.56 in asda yesterday, just getting a few bits and some more baking pans so I could do some cooking for a friend with coeliac. Total monthly spend so far of £35.50/£40, so well on target for the month
    Grocery Challenge
    November: £22.03 / £32.15
    October: £47.85 / £40
    September: £37.12 / £40
    August: £31.69 / £60
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 20th Oct 19, 3:08 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Confession time, 30p over the weekly £70 budget. I couldn't resist a 49p chocolate bar at Aldi! But really pleased none the less. I really find the meal plan to be working wonders in sticking to the budget
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 20th Oct 19, 5:18 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 10,260 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Thanks for the Mug Cake recipe, Elsiepac.

It’s been an expensive weekend for us. Firstly, the Meat Fund paid out £67.19 at Costco for pork shoulder steaks, lamb steaks, a side of salmon and chicken breasts. We weren’t planning on spending so much in Costco but discovered that our local butcher has closed. This is the fourth butcher shop to close on me in 20 years. Two were due to retirement - the butcher couldn’t find anyone to take over the shop. The third was sold to another butcher on retirement and he subsequently closed the premises; while this one appears to have been taken over by a halal butcher and is currently undergoing a refit.

I’ll see what it’s like when it reopens. It was nice to be able to walk to the butcher’s at lunchtime, when I was working at home The next nearest one is about 2 miles away and (as yet) untested. All I can tell you is that they’re never open when I drive past too/from work, so we’re limited to shopping there on a Saturday. At least the freezer is full.

(NB: The Meat Fund doesn’t get tracked in my GC spend. It grows by £40/month and currently sits at about £70.)

On the GC spend, we went to W8rose last night, spending £10.70 mainly on 6 packs of black turtle beans - at £1.20/500g pack they’re considerably cheaper than MrT’s - something for pudding and an expensive 500ml tub of low fat creme fraiche (£2.40 compared to MrT’s £1.95) to accompany the sweet stuff. There’s a lot of creme fraiche remaining; some will go into tomorrow’s porc-au-cidre , while the remainder will be used for my version of the BBC’s Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Pasta. (I use creme fraiche instead of double cream and have been known to substitute chorizo for the ham.)

Today saw a visit to the farm shop to buy the broccoli and to stock up on onions and eggs. We spent £5.10. That was followed by a visit to MrT’s, where the proposed “big shop” only turned out to cost £25.70. Finally, we popped into Lidl to get the things that I know are definitely cheaper there: hair conditioner (69p), freeze dried instant coffee (£1.89), lazy garlic (99p), mozzarella (2x46p), a bottle of cider for tomorrow’s dinner (85p), butter (£1.45) and then blew the budget on a tray of of Baklava (£2.49). In total, we spent £9.25 in Lidl.

Meal planning for the next few days:-

Tonight - PipiAn using 2 chicken breasts and some cooking bacon (the recipe is in the index)
    Monday - Porc-au-cidre in the slow cooker (I’ll prep this tonight)
    Tuesday - the steak we scored a couple of weekends ago plus potato wedges and peas
    Wednesday - Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Pasta

The above spends bring our total spend for October to £121.32/£125.10, leaving £3.78 remaining for the rest of the month. It’s do-able. There’s plenty of food in the freezer and pantry. We have enough yoghurts, milk and fresh veg to last to the end of the month, so shouldn’t need to go shopping again.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 20th Oct 19, 5:59 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 30,134 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hello I had a tenner spend in sainsburys today I like some yogurt they sell it was on special so got 2 tubs also a few bread reductions. I need to do a fridge audit tomorrow and write a shopping list accordingly...also got my first satsumas of the season
    onwards and upwards
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 21st Oct 19, 1:45 AM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 14,269 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Have had three NSDs in a row
    Today,on the way home from work,I did have to buy milk though.
    Spent £3,bringing total to £248.04/250
    SPC #108 x 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 21st Oct 19, 11:02 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 4,908 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    Declaring October at £504.23/£400
    A big overspend but this month saw stores replenished, students back to uni with food parcels and plenty of meat/fish purchased.
    November will be frugal with the December festivities to prepare for and overall I feel I will be ok as far as the annual budget is concerned.
    See you on the November thread.
    • Crowdpleaser
    • By Crowdpleaser 21st Oct 19, 1:54 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 11,274 Thanks
    Crowdpleaser
    347/325

Mr M for fruit n veg for the week. We were also nearly out of spread. We were off the a charity bingo night on Saturday so I bought some sweets to keep the table happy too.

Mr t for milk today too.

I won't be buying anything else except perhaps some milk before Friday which is my shopping day!
    Save £500 for christmas 2016 £161/£500
    GC March 16 £252.91/£300
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 21st Oct 19, 6:17 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 13,311 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    We have spent £29.80 since last post.

I'm having shepherdless pie for dinner.
    OH will be having beef stew and mashed potato for dinner.

£184.36/£215.
    £30.64 Left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 21st Oct 19, 6:52 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    So.... £144.09/£100.

By my calculations, that's over. Just by a bit. And I might need to go shopping again next week.

Will try and make it up next month!
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 22nd Oct 19, 8:11 AM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 12,900 Thanks
    elsiepac
    Small spend of 79p on a fresh loaf of crusty malted grain bread nomnomnom
    SPC No 074
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • Vanlady
    • By Vanlady 22nd Oct 19, 9:36 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Vanlady
    £181.80/£210 nsd 12 /16

Morning all.
    Love your recipe for mug cakes Elsiepac!

I'm intending today to be nsd no. 12, so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Also, good news is I haven't spent any money since Saturday.

Meal plan slightly changed as there was so much left from Sunday we had leftovers for D yesterday.
    Tonight's it's just 2 of us so might just slob out on the sofa with fish fingers (a fave of Mr van) potatoes and steamed veg. I'll make the tortilla tomorrow as I have loads of eggs to use up and there'll be 3 of us.

Might just do this after all.
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 22nd Oct 19, 2:49 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 12,900 Thanks
    elsiepac
    Forgot to add spends on Sunday on a bag of dark lebkuchen from Ald1 (accidentally vegan) and a bar of M0ser Roth Sea Salt dark chocolate (also accidentally vegan) - 89p and £1.39 respectively.
    Found 82p in my car this morning, bonus!
    SPC No 074
    Vegan 27-8-13
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

226Posts Today

2,492Users online

Martin's Twitter