Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 27th Jul 19, 10:50 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 1Thanks
    BlueManc10
    EOS solutions
    • 27th Jul 19, 10:50 AM
    EOS solutions 27th Jul 19 at 10:50 AM
    Hi. In about 2003 I took a loan put with welcome finance. I was young and stupid and after a year or two I stopped paying this off and defaulted. I agreed a payment plan with them and paid this off for a year or so. But then for whatever reason I stopped. To cut a long story short this was about 12 years ago. However I have recently had a letter at my old address saying o still owe 884 and this debt has now been sold to a company called EOS solutions. Being brutally honest I had completely forgotten about this debt.

My question is. As this debt is so old. And I have moved address and changed numbers since. Do I have to still pay this? Will they track me down? As the debt is over six years old can they still harrass me for it?
Page 2
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Oct 19, 9:05 AM
    • 6,938 Posts
    • 4,617 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    You need to send the SB letter by post.
    Recorded delivery.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 13th Oct 19, 9:28 AM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    boo_star
    You need to send the SB letter by post.
    Recorded delivery.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Not recorded, normal with proof of postage.
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 13th Oct 19, 10:00 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueManc10
    Thanks. I'll get a letter sent tomorrow then. Thanks for your responses.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Oct 19, 11:58 AM
    • 6,938 Posts
    • 4,617 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Not recorded, normal with proof of postage.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    Either is a suitable means
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 15th Oct 19, 2:09 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueManc10
    So. Bad news. They've received my letter and they are saying I made a payment in July 2014. So the six years has not yet elapsed. I've asked them to send proof of this in the post. But think I may have lost the battle once I receive the proof. I don't recall making his payment but I'd assume I did as they wouldn't be just saying this.

I would imagine there's nothing I can now do but pay? As I can't really prolong until July 2020
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Oct 19, 2:57 PM
    • 6,938 Posts
    • 4,617 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Long shot but have you changed banks?
    If not you can go back and ask for older statements to check.
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 15th Oct 19, 3:11 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueManc10
    I've not changed banks and have just looked through my statement for July 2014 and I cannot see anything on there that looks like it would be a payment to them? But if they have a statement showing I have. Would it be my word against theirs?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Oct 19, 3:25 PM
    • 6,938 Posts
    • 4,617 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    They would need to tell you the bank account the payment was made from
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 15th Oct 19, 3:31 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueManc10
    Well. This is where I think there may be a plot twist incoming. I believe back then I may have been in a debt management plan and they were making my payments for me. I paid everyone off and then closed the plan and welcome was my only outstanding debt. I agreed a settlement but when I heard they went bust I didn't pay it. Stupid I know. But if my last payment was by a debt management company how would this work?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Oct 19, 3:40 PM
    • 6,938 Posts
    • 4,617 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    It will count as payment to the debt unfortunately.

Thus resetting the clock.
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 15th Oct 19, 3:50 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueManc10
    So I'm going to have to just pay aren't I? And because I've messed them about and argued the toss they're not going to be in the mood to accept a settlement offer?

8 months is far too long to drag out and see out the six years.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th Oct 19, 4:26 PM
    • 18,637 Posts
    • 17,553 Thanks
    sourcrates
    You could send a request for information (CCA request) under section 77/79 consumer credit act, as the original creditor has gone bust its extreamly unlikey the debt purchasor will be able to produce compliant paperwork, thus rendering the account unenforcable.

Welcomes loan books were all sold, the new owners may not have been so keen to keep all the legal paperwork.

Info here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Information-about-your-agreement-under-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx
    Last edited by sourcrates; 15-10-2019 at 6:00 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 15th Oct 19, 8:37 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueManc10
    Thank you so much sourcrates. I will try that. I'll get it sent off tomorrow. Fingers crossed they don't have it.
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 21st Oct 19, 3:31 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueManc10
    Hi all. I have sent the letter requesting a signed credit agreement which they have said they have sent. Which makes me believe they do in fact have this. If so. Do I just make a settlement offer and pay it so it goes away? What's an offer that is acceptable?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 21st Oct 19, 5:02 PM
    • 18,637 Posts
    • 17,553 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi all. I have sent the letter requesting a signed credit agreement which they have said they have sent. Which makes me believe they do in fact have this. If so. Do I just make a settlement offer and pay it so it goes away? What's an offer that is acceptable?
    Originally posted by BlueManc10

Wait and see what they send you first.

Companies try to fob you off with all kinds of rubbish purporting to be a compliant credit agreement, when in reality it is far from it.

Post back when you receive it.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 21-10-2019 at 5:41 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • BlueManc10
    • By BlueManc10 29th Oct 19, 12:30 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueManc10
    I've not received a signed credit agreement as yet. Just three separate copies of my statements. But no agreement. I'm going to call them today and again request this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

2,059Users online

Martin's Twitter