Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,357Posts
    • 8,200Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 1:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 152
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 20th Oct 19, 11:44 AM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 30,224 Thanks
    D&DD
    Mx I've had a bit of time to look again at your list..
    I can see loads of meals on there but I think you would be wise to add in some sort of either long life bread (frozen/partbaked etc) or if you bake some bread flour and yeast. Your tomato puree can be used on homemade pizza bases then too.

You have hot dogs are these going into a pasta dish or will you need rolls for them?
    Bread can also be used for beans on toast as you seem to like them lol
    Dunking in soups you have listed and make any leftovers into either a bread pudding or croutons/breadcrumbs etc.

Do you have porridge oats?? Again great for baking as well as brekkie..

I would add in some sort of butter or spread for sandwiches and baking and I personally can't live without cheese but that's not for everyone and on the expensive side.

Some sort of spice mix maybe as just tomato and pasta will be a little boring if you need to eat it a lot!
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 20th Oct 19, 12:00 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 30,224 Thanks
    D&DD
    Snow List
    This is our 'When snow is coming list' might be of use to someone its obviously tailored to our household of four plus cat and dog but might get you plugging any last minute gaps

4 x 4 pints semi
    2 x loaves
    2 x 15 eggs
    2 blocks cheddar
    2 x ham
    2 x butter
    2 x lard
    4 x packs yoghurt
    4 x packs part baked bread rolls
    2 x tortillas

Potatoes
    Onions
    Carrots
    Bananas
    STRAWBERRIES lol...
    Grapes
    Satsumas/oranges

Litter
    Cat food
    Dog food

2 x whole chickens
    2 x ch breasts (packs)
    2 x drumsticks
    4 x bacon

Bread flour and yeast

Fries
    Peas frozen

This lot is really just top ups as most of the above is to add to /stretch or supplement what we already have in.

Has anyone else got a snow list??
    I'd like to compare notes in case theres something I've missed on ours

I won't scare you all with my TEOTWAWKI one lol...
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 20th Oct 19, 1:40 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    I’ve not got a snow list but I can easily last for a few weeks on the contents of my cupboard. Tins, packets and dried stuff tend to be the making of a good choice of meals. I know not everyone likes them but I like tinned mince, hot dogs, fray bentos pies, canned tuna etc which last for ages and are good for emergencies.
    2019 Grocery Spend £1145.34/£2000
    October GS £60/£200
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 20th Oct 19, 2:54 PM
    • 10,314 Posts
    • 36,338 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    how it's done the rounds. Started in Swindon when he first bougot it, moved to Belgium with him, then to Holland, then into storage for a couple of years when we moved back, and then to where we currently are now. It is a well travelled sofa!
    Originally posted by euronorris
    Better travelled than my lads!

Any in case of list that doesn't include loo roll & porridge oats has missed a catch. For my lot, we'll add brown sauce, Worcester sauce, chalula &/or Lea & Perrins to almost every dish - but you really don't need more than about 3 bottles (says she wildly assuming.)

Right now my ability to produce apple pie & cream is regarded as a very special trick (rousing cheers for the freezer although the cream is nicer from the fridge & the pie from the oven!)
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 20th Oct 19, 3:27 PM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 30,224 Thanks
    D&DD
    ooh you've just reminded me DFV I finally found some shelf stable (tinned) cream on Amazon so have added a box to my subs this month. Its actually quite nice I used to get it in FF but ours have stopped stocking it.

If I buy any more loo roll our ceiling is coming down...*whistles*
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 20th Oct 19, 9:14 PM
    • 15,505 Posts
    • 151,297 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've been looking for tinned cream, ty D3.
    • Mx_Emmin
    • By Mx_Emmin 21st Oct 19, 9:13 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Mx_Emmin
    Mx I've had a bit of time to look again at your list..
    I can see loads of meals on there but I think you would be wise to add in some sort of either long life bread (frozen/partbaked etc) or if you bake some bread flour and yeast. Your tomato puree can be used on homemade pizza bases then too.

You have hot dogs are these going into a pasta dish or will you need rolls for them?
    Bread can also be used for beans on toast as you seem to like them lol
    Dunking in soups you have listed and make any leftovers into either a bread pudding or croutons/breadcrumbs etc.

Do you have porridge oats?? Again great for baking as well as brekkie..

I would add in some sort of butter or spread for sandwiches and baking and I personally can't live without cheese but that's not for everyone and on the expensive side.

Some sort of spice mix maybe as just tomato and pasta will be a little boring if you need to eat it a lot!
    by Dⅅ76404139
    I dont have a lot of fridge or freezer space so I have to stick to dried or tinned and I dont bake

The hot dogs will go into the packet noodles for an easy meal

Some of those beans are butter beans and kidney beans for currys and chillies ("healthy beans" vs "baked beans")

I do have some porridge oats in, but I dont bake

I know I need bread and marg/butter but as I said, fridge/freezer space is low. Plus, I'm awkward in that I need lactofree butter. I might have to roll the dice on those ones.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 21st Oct 19, 9:26 AM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 32,905 Thanks
    Primrose
    Hot dogs or frankfurters are really tasty if chopped up and served in a fried mixture of sliced onions, finely shredded red cabbage and apple slices, accompanied by mashed potatoes.

Try to use a mixture of Bramley & eating apples so the Bramleys dissolve into an accompanying juice, or add a small drop of water or stock if the mixture starts to look too dry. The red colour of the cabbage will brighten up any dull autumn day.
    Last edited by Primrose; 21-10-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 21st Oct 19, 10:55 AM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 15,340 Thanks
    -taff
    If your fridge and freezer space is low, it's quite cold now outside so you could get a storage box, put it somewhere outside that the sun won't hit it, inside a garage or nder a piece of wood on blocks or something, then put your fridge stuff in that. The temperature is not likely to be up that much now so they should keep for a while [ things like butter/cheese etc]
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 21st Oct 19, 10:56 AM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 49,148 Thanks
    euronorris
    Is there a reason you don't bake Mx? If it's just a fear of getting wrong, there are some really simple recipes out there. Also, sometimes errors turn out great. I tried to make fudge yesterday, as I had nothing sweet in the house and really wanted a treat. I must not have boiled it for long enough, as it didn't 'set'. But my goodness, I now have some super tasty caramel like sauce! lol It tastes like the bottom layer of those rolo desserts. Amazing! I am very happy with my 'error' lol

I was a very fussy child, and tinned hotdogs was one of the only meats I would eat back then. I was regularly given them, chopped up on a plate, with chips, sweetcorn and ketchup! haha. Not a healthy meal, but it would do in a pinch!

Need to top up the paracetemol and ibuprofen stores. DH has had a cold the last week or so, so stocks have depleted, and I can feel one coming on!
    • Mx_Emmin
    • By Mx_Emmin 21st Oct 19, 3:22 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Mx_Emmin
    @euronorris Just a time thing - I work full time, and I have no partner to help out with cooking, cleaning, ironing, whatever

I'm not hugely "old style" to be honest, I just ended up on this board because I'm concerned about Brexit
    • DryTheRain
    • By DryTheRain 21st Oct 19, 4:29 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    DryTheRain
    Mx how about oatcakes or ryvita as a bread back up? If you're aiming for dietary balance, a few tins of fruit wouldn't be a bad idea, or if you have time Polish shops sell large jars of cheap preserved fruit. It's also nice to get a few treats in if funds allow, a bag of popcorn kernels, bars of chocolate or whatever your favourites are, good for morale.

As others have said, this is outside of politics in many ways, it's about having a sensible buffer in case of illness, bad weather etc. As things stand it looks as though the EU will grant an extension, but definitely go ahead with that order, you'll feel much better for it
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 22nd Oct 19, 6:44 AM
    • 10,314 Posts
    • 36,338 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    On a related but different note, went to a talk on the menopause yesterday & left with my view of HRT much revised. Yes it’s a very personal choice, but miword, to be denied it midstream can be pretty gruesome.
    Interesting that girls school o level biology never mentioned it, nor that short of dying young, every gel in the class would have to go through it.
    My bewildered appreciation of the endocrine system has upped another startled notch.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 22-10-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    • Mx_Emmin
    • By Mx_Emmin 22nd Oct 19, 7:56 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Mx_Emmin
    Mx how about oatcakes or ryvita as a bread back up? If you're aiming for dietary balance, a few tins of fruit wouldn't be a bad idea, or if you have time Polish shops sell large jars of cheap preserved fruit. It's also nice to get a few treats in if funds allow, a bag of popcorn kernels, bars of chocolate or whatever your favourites are, good for morale.

As others have said, this is outside of politics in many ways, it's about having a sensible buffer in case of illness, bad weather etc. As things stand it looks as though the EU will grant an extension, but definitely go ahead with that order, you'll feel much better for it
    Originally posted by DryTheRain
    Maybe, but I spent a good chunk of my grocery money on the store cupboard so far and I still need to eat until next paycheck, so we're probably starting to run up against the limit of my stocking ability in one month. Ryvita is definitely a good idea though!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Oct 19, 7:59 AM
    • 15,505 Posts
    • 151,297 Thanks
    mardatha
    Wonder if we will lose all the lovely Polish shops after the B event? Another sad loss
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 22nd Oct 19, 8:29 AM
    • 10,314 Posts
    • 36,338 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I know this is from The Express but an anyone see how this might go pearshaped?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 22nd Oct 19, 9:19 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I know this is from The Express but an anyone see how this might go pearshaped?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Didn't really want to negotiate the cookie monster at this time in the morning, but I think I know the story. They just didn't understand that putting a customs border in the sea still creates a customs border.

Or to put it another 'i'm very tired and slightly tetchy way' - if you flush a poo down the toilet, somewhere there is still poo to deal with...
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 22nd Oct 19, 4:25 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    Didn't really want to negotiate the cookie monster at this time in the morning, but I think I know the story. They just didn't understand that putting a customs border in the sea still creates a customs border.

Or to put it another 'i'm very tired and slightly tetchy way' - if you flush a poo down the toilet, somewhere there is still poo to deal with...
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46988529

What does the Good Friday Agreement say about a hard border?
    A lot less than you might think. The only place in which it alludes to infrastructure at the border is in the section on security.
    (The argument appears to be about the SPIRIT of the agreement)
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 22nd Oct 19, 5:30 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    unrecordings
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46988529

What does the Good Friday Agreement say about a hard border?
    A lot less than you might think. The only place in which it alludes to infrastructure at the border is in the section on security.
    (The argument appears to be about the SPIRIT of the agreement)
    Originally posted by WeegieWumman
    A poo is still a poo, on a Friday or any other day

(...and I'll leave it at that I think)
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 23rd Oct 19, 8:38 AM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 49,148 Thanks
    euronorris
    Apparently, B&M have packs of 6 tins of Heinz Chicken soup for a £1. Plenty of date still on them, and the belief is that it is nationwide (rather than just one store). One of my neighbours is popping there today, so I've asked her to grab me some, if they are actually available at that price lol.

But, heads up, if you have one near you. Bargain to be had!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,470Users online

Martin's Twitter