Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • louisemessage
    • By louisemessage 21st Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    louisemessage
    Cancelling David Lloyd membership woes
    • 21st Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    Cancelling David Lloyd membership woes 21st Oct 19 at 1:58 PM
    I am moving from Eastbourne to London next month. I handed in my notice (which is three months) for David Lloyd. Their rules state that the only way I can get out of paying for the next three months is if the place I move to is more than 10 miles from a David Lloyd - and they are everywhere in London!

I thought that membership was a flat rate across the country, but the membership for the area I'm moving to is 122-128 a month. I am perfectly happy to pay for the next three months, but this is a huge price hike, and I signed up for David Lloyd in the first place on the basis that it would be 80 each month, not 120. I said to the membership person that it was a lot more each month and he said 'Yeah, but it's reflected in the facilities.'

I don't know if this is relevant, but I only signed up for David Lloyd in Eastbourne as I can walk to it from my work (I don't drive), but in London I would be getting public transport to work and would then just go for a cheaper gym as they're much easier to get to by train etc there.

Is there anything I can do, or will I just have to suck it up?

Thanks so much
    Last edited by louisemessage; 21-10-2019 at 2:03 PM.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 21st Oct 19, 2:10 PM
    • 13,565 Posts
    • 15,528 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 21st Oct 19, 2:10 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 2:10 PM
    The rules sound fair enough to me - if you're entering into a contract, it's you who needs to take the risk of you moving house.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 21st Oct 19, 3:02 PM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 7,595 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 21st Oct 19, 3:02 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 3:02 PM
    You need to work out what will be cheaper for you I guess, paying the extra 40-50 a month to use the London based DL gym for your three months notice or not updating your local gym, pay the 80 a month that you currently pay based on the Eastbourne gym but find a more convenient gym that is only 40-50 a month or less so saving you money on the London DL membership. This might work out well if you can find somewhere with an introductory offer for at least a month bringing your overall cost down.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 21st Oct 19, 4:15 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 6,530 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 21st Oct 19, 4:15 PM
    • 21st Oct 19, 4:15 PM
    As above, it's your choice to break the contract you entered into so best to choose the route that gives you gym membership for the lowest net cost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,914Posts Today

7,460Users online

Martin's Twitter