Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • heritage_lanson
    • By heritage_lanson 2nd Oct 18, 12:41 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 5Thanks
    heritage_lanson
    Plumber assistant stole from my house
    • 2nd Oct 18, 12:41 AM
    Plumber assistant stole from my house 2nd Oct 18 at 12:41 AM
    I am having some restoration work done in my lounge and the plumber and his assistant were fitting a radiator. I was in the front garden doing some gardening and the plumber had to go out to get some piping and left the assistant in the room. He was by himself for around 15minutes.
    I left a brand new aftershave on the side in there amongst other things but have now found out itís no longer in there.
    I really donít know what to do as they have been doing a few jobs in the house and will come back in a couple of months to finish off to which they will send me a invoice but I donít like the fact they have stole From me.
Page 2
    • heritage_lanson
    • By heritage_lanson 3rd Oct 18, 12:07 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    heritage_lanson
    I’ve only had the plumber and his asistant in this week, no body else. It’s hard to accept this has happened to me but it’s definately gone.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 3rd Oct 18, 1:06 AM
    • 14,076 Posts
    • 11,289 Thanks
    unholyangel
    It is a very odd thing to steal and risk your career over.
    Originally posted by Lrimas
    Yet people do similar all the time - risk a job for small amounts. Never underestimate stupidity.

We had a staff member steal money (£50) from a locked box in full view of CCTV. The kicker being they could have asked the company for a loan or advance on their wages (and had done so before so they knew it was an option).

None of us could understand why they would choose to steal and risk their job.

Maybe he has but that's not proof.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    No, but perhaps the guy was idiotic enough to flash it in front of the plumber or start wearing it to work the next day. Theres no harm in asking the plumber if either of them moved it and explaining he's been searching for it since Thursday to no avail. If the assistant did actually steal from a customer then I'm sure the plumber would want to know about it.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 3rd Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 2,749 Thanks
    rach_k
    You seem to be making this far more complicated that it needs to be. You have no actual proof that it was stolen - you not being able to find it is not proof - so just ask the plumber if it's possible one of them may have picked it up by mistake. It could have been knocked into an open bag, for all you know. Just ask!

You may find the plumber has had this happen before so he may realise it was the other guy. Or he may ask the guy who will 'find it' in his bag. Or it may be found in a tool box, a genuine accident. You won't know until you ask, but don't accuse because you don't have any evidence.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 3rd Oct 18, 12:04 PM
    • 7,466 Posts
    • 23,990 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    You seem to be making this far more complicated that it needs to be. You have no actual proof that it was stolen - you not being able to find it is not proof - so just ask the plumber if it's possible one of them may have picked it up by mistake. It could have been knocked into an open bag, for all you know. Just ask!

You may find the plumber has had this happen before so he may realise it was the other guy. Or he may ask the guy who will 'find it' in his bag. Or it may be found in a tool box, a genuine accident. You won't know until you ask, but don't accuse because you don't have any evidence.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    That's pretty well what I think. I'd have to be 100% sure it was a particular person, and that the item actually had been stolen, to make accusations. There are many, many explanations for something going missing.
    As already said, an opportunistic thief could have slipped in. Friend had that happen, ran into the guy as he was going back in after going out in the garden for something. He couldn't make out how the guy had got in past him.
    I was in a house where a neighbour came in through an open back door, and was rifling through the kitchen drawers.

If the aftershave was there in the open anyone could have taken it, not matter how unacceptable the OP may find that.
    "Stolen" items regularly turn up elsewhere, having been moved for some reason.

I really would follow EachPenny's advice, and talk sensibly to the plumber.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 3rd Oct 18, 4:27 PM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 7,563 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    Why are you assuming it's the assistant and not the plumber? Or that they are both in on it? You weren't there to see it get stolen so have absolutely no way of knowing for certain exactly what happened nor who did it.

I'm with the others, the only sensible and logical thing to do is ask the plumber (in front of his assistant) if either of them moved it out of the way to keep it safe as you've searched everywhere and can't find it. If they say no to that ask if they could please check any of their tool/equipment bags and boxes in case it accidentally got knocked in.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 3rd Oct 18, 4:41 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 2,362 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Seems to me it's just as likely the assistant knocked it over and broke it and disposed of in in the hope that you would not notice.

That is to say, who knows what happened. You have no proof.

Have you have a comversation with the plumber yet? If not why not. It should go along these lines... "X has gone missing and a believe your assistant is responsible in some way. I am not comfortable having him in the house again". See what he says, be prepared that he no longer wants to work for you (again you cannot know how it will go).

Do you leave full bottles of stuff out in places where plumbers are working often? I try to empty to room as assicents happen!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 3rd Oct 18, 10:58 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 31,548 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I'm with the others, the only sensible and logical thing to do is ask the plumber (in front of his assistant) if either of them moved it out of the way to keep it safe as you've searched everywhere and can't find it. If they say no to that ask if they could please check any of their tool/equipment bags and boxes in case it accidentally got knocked in.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    No, I would try and do it with the assistant out of the loop, and preferably over the phone rather than face to face.

Just speaking to the plumber on his own gives him the opportunity to say he'll talk to the assistant and get back to you - giving him time to think up a way of resolving the matter without anyone losing face.

If you ask both at the same time then it puts them on the spot and makes it more likely you'd get a defensive response.

If I were the plumber and the OP was a decent customer, then regardless of what the truth was I'd probably come back to the OP saying the assistant had broken the bottle by accident and was too embarrassed to say anything... then offer to knock the value of the aftershave (rounded up) off the bill.

Yes, it's a lie, but it is one that keeps the customer happy and avoids them (justifiably?) badmouthing my company around the local community. The cost of a bottle of aftershave is peanuts compared to the potential reputational damage otherwise.

What happens between me and the assistant subsequently is my own private business. (but suffice to say they wouldn't be working for me alone in people's houses again for a long time)

(that is assuming I (the plumber) am not the thief, which is also quite possible )

(but not 'me' in real life )
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 3rd Oct 18, 11:14 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 28,928 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Sounds like the OP is perhaps a bit forgetful ????
    Post #7 they have known the plumber for 2 years then post #12 they have known the plumber for 1 year !!
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Added to which the OP is seemingly ignoring the good advice already given and just keeps banging on about it being gone and it being missing.
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 4th Oct 18, 7:53 AM
    • 3,819 Posts
    • 13,676 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    I just think 'thank heavens we are not in a time 200 years ago because this poor devil would have been hanged or transported for life upon NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER!'
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 4th Oct 18, 8:04 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    I agree that unless you have them caught on CCTV, it's difficult to know exactly what's happened.

I had my wallet stolen from my office. CCTV showed a guy go upstairs and come down again five minutes later. No one else had been in. But the police said they couldn't do anything unless there was evidence of him going in.
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 4th Oct 18, 9:25 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    if they are coming back, get yourself a indoor security camera, put it somewhere where it can't be seen and leave something else out like a few £20's

If you see him take it then you now have some evidence on film and can also challenge him on the aftershave,

If he did steel the aftershave, surely he can't resist the easy money,
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Oct 18, 9:38 AM
    • 6,304 Posts
    • 29,719 Thanks
    Slinky
    I don't know how anybody thinks he could break a bottle of aftershave in the house and get rid of it without it being noticed - you'd smell it surely.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 25th Oct 18, 6:48 AM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,474 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Over a bottle of after shave. Really?

People really need to use a bit of common. We all know how badly funded they are currently. If police time wasnt wasted with such trivial matters then they might be arround to deal with the significant crimes.

Ask them if they moved it, if nothing then tell the plumber that you wont want the assistant back next time.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    So what is the 'common sense' line between time-wasting and police-report for

Theft?
    Drug possession/ supply (class A)?
    Drug possession/ supply (class C)?
    Common assault?
    Direction to leave/ Drunk and disorderly?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 25th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    littlerock
    I was staying in a hotel some years ago, while on a course and left some rather nice perfume and deodorant on the shelf in the bathroom, when I went out for the day. It was missing when I got back. One of the cleaners must have taken a shine to it. No other explanation.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 25th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    owen_money
    I was staying in a hotel some years ago, while on a course and left some rather nice perfume and deodorant on the shelf in the bathroom, when I went out for the day. It was missing when I got back. One of the cleaners must have taken a shine to it. No other explanation.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    They didnt do any plumbing in your hotel room while you were out did they?
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • Juliet219
    • By Juliet219 25th Apr 19, 1:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Juliet219
    Plumbers apprentice stole from me
    Hi, I just wanted to ask which plumbers you used because the same thing has happened to me?

Thanks Juliet
    • heritage_lanson
    • By heritage_lanson 20th Oct 19, 11:54 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    heritage_lanson
    Update
    I confronted the plumber and he investigated and informed me that the assistant was selling the exact ck aftershave and sacked him. The plumber was adamant he wouldnít do such a thing but found out a few weeks ago that he actually was.

Moral of the story, even the nicest, hardworking and polite Workers can steal from your home.
    • WoodyMax
    • By WoodyMax 21st Oct 19, 4:05 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    WoodyMax
    Gardener stole lawn mower
    Just thought I would add that a few years ago I hired a man to do a garden tidy, he came with his own tools (mower etc). In the garden shed was a lawn mower which belonged to the landlord. His mower wasn't in the greatest shape but it worked.
    The day after the gardener had finished I looked in the shed and found he had removed the landlords lawn mower!

I called him and said ''have you taken the lawn mower in the shed by mistake!''

He immediately confessed he had but 'only to do a service on it for me!!'

I told him to bring it back immediately (which he did) and told him not to come back.

I think you do have to confront these situations head on.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 22nd Oct 19, 10:41 AM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    Niv
    I just think 'thank heavens we are not in a time 200 years ago because this poor devil would have been hanged or transported for life upon NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER!'
    Originally posted by paddy's mum
    Well quite rightly so too, he is a witch after all!
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 22nd Oct 19, 12:14 PM
    • 7,205 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    It seems that the OP was correct in their assumptions about it being stolen, but at the time of the original post they didn't have any proof. A very strong suspicion of what has happened is not the same as having evidence to support that belief.
    The OP did the right thing in speaking to the plumber, but only to voice suspicions, not to make an outright accusation.
    We had a variation on the theme a few years ago. We were having our garden landscaped and ,at the same time, our bathroom was being refitted and a couple of other jobs done to the central heating. Different companies doing the garden and the inside work. The plumber had put the 3 radiators they had removed outside at the side of the house and the other company new they were doing work. When the plumber came to refit the radiators they had disappeared. He asked the landscapers and they said they had taken them because they assumed they were scrap. At no time had they asked either if they were scrap, or if they could take them. End result for them was a hefty bill for 3 replacement radiators and no chance of any future recommendation for them despite doing good quality work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,136Posts Today

7,787Users online

Martin's Twitter