Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robbsafc
    • By robbsafc 19th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 14Thanks
    robbsafc
    ese Free Solar PV Health Check?
    • 19th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    ese Free Solar PV Health Check? 19th Nov 17 at 11:06 AM
    I received a letter from a company called "ese" (Company Number 09825685) . They are supposedly offering a free solar health check and service on my system. I presume my details are on some database somewhere as I had solar panels installed in 2011. Having googled there is not a lot of information around regarding this company. I checked Companies House and they appear to be a consultancy firm.
    Has anyone encountered this? I am skeptical as to me there must be a catch somewhere to make it worthwhile for the company.

Rob
Page 4
    • Sn00py
    • By Sn00py 6th Nov 18, 10:45 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sn00py
    I receive one of these letters circa monthly. I have just phoned them to enquire where they got my details from and was told an unidentified marketing company. The assistant asked who the letter was addressed to and when I said the Homeowner her reply was well it might not have been meant for you. My reply was that is very odd when it has my address and postcode. I asked her to check her records and then she told me the name of the person living at this address it was a completely different name and then she said perhaps it was a previous occupier. I advised her that I have lived in my house for 30+ years and that she was possibly breaking the Data Protection Act by giving me the name on their database. I ended the call by stating I want them to remove my address from their database and if I receive another spam letter from there company I will be contacting Trading Standards.
    • mj1
    • By mj1 4th Feb 19, 10:05 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mj1
    ESE Buyer Beware - Tele Marketing Calls
    I had a call from British Trading Solar Association last week and they were trying to sell annual maintenance and said I was out of warranty.

I asked them to e-mail the details and gave a dead letter drop to be safe(er).

I was not expecting an e-mail but I did get one this morning and it was ESE trying to sell a maintenance package at £19.99 per month.

THIS IS NOT a good service for anyone with Solar Panels. £240 a year for a check!

Please be aware and do not be tempted as all they effectively offer for that is a yearly visual inspection and they will no doubt use it as an opportunity to milk you for a new inverter.

The only thing that will need replacing on your solar system is the inverter and an excellent one will cost no more than £700 while cheap tat comes in around £300. Guess what you might get installed if they deem your inverter needs replacing...

This is a company treading a very fine line and I post this as a warning to others in the hope they do not fall prey to such services...

Finally they make use of the name British Trading Solar Association, you do a search for BTSA and no such company exists yet ESE use that as there personal @BritishtradingSolarAssocition.com e-mail address. I wonder why?

Buyer Beware....
    • tempest1157
    • By tempest1157 15th Feb 19, 1:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tempest1157
    Should I be worried?
    I have had a phone call regarding 'a free health check' for solar panel system as "many installers have gone out of business since installation and there have been instances of inverters overheating" I declined the offer of a check, and was told that systems should be checked anually and was asked when it was last serviced. After the call I began to wonder what the actual situation was and searched for solar panel servicing requirements which led me here. My concern now is regarding safety, although system appears to be functioning, could there be a problem - surely if inverter overheats - trip switch would activate? I don't consider myself vulnerable - maybe I should reconsider that
    • dontbehad
    • By dontbehad 27th Feb 19, 5:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dontbehad
    If inverters get too warm, they first derate their output to allow the unit to cool. If they get warmer they then shut down. Inverters aren't 'dumb' devices, they monitor temperature, voltage, frequency and all sorts of other things.

ESE are just another scumbag organisation trying to get their "foot in your door" so that they can sell you so-called "upgrades" for your system.
    • Shamsan
    • By Shamsan 6th Mar 19, 1:55 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Shamsan
    Recently had a letter with almost identical wording from a company giving a liverpool address and calling itself "British Trading Solar Association" as well as a "Ltd" name not tracable.

There is a lot of stolen data about solar panels in circulation. There is no "national list" which is legally available to companies.

I threw the letter away.

• kookaburra
    • By kookaburra 7th Mar 19, 9:45 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    kookaburra
    Same letter, from BTSA
    Either “ese” has rebranded or another group has copied their letter (“free health check and service” etc). I received a letter yesterday under the banner of BTSA - British Trading Solar Association.

Many thanks for all the previous posters - it’s now going in the shredding and on its way to the compost heap!
    Last edited by kookaburra; 07-03-2019 at 9:46 AM. Reason: Grammar!
    • thetrainengineer
    • By thetrainengineer 13th Mar 19, 9:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    thetrainengineer
    Just received the same letter from BTSA and tried sending a GDPR right to be forgotten message to the email given on the letter mail@britishtradingsolarassociation.co.uk but it has bounced as the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive email.

Clearly shows this is another SCAM.

Details from letter:

BT Solar Ltd, Unit 107a Goodlass Road, L24 9HJ
    Company No. 11249569

Details from Companies House:
    39, Halton Brow, 39, Halton Brow, Runcorn, England, WA7 2EH

Director: Brian Thompson

Warning from Warwickshire County Council:
    Free solar panel ‘health check’
    Owners of solar panels are warned to beware of letters and cold calls from bogus/high pressure companies offering solar panel ‘health checks’ that are in reality an opportunity to sell the resident highly priced and unnecessary warranties and additional solar panel equipment.
    • MP2017rach
    • By MP2017rach 1st Apr 19, 5:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MP2017rach
    This company sent the same letter to my mother who is elderly and confused.
    The fact that the letters have been printed with the same bar code number which is clearly intended as a unique reference which we all now know is a falsehood, could be viewed as fraudulent activity.

They sent it to the wrong victim this time as I work for an institution that investigates suspected commercial fraud investigations, so I will be taking great pleasure in using my skills voluntarily to learn as much information about this company, the people behind it and any businesses that they also own.

The BTSA letter sent out by ESE Services is a bypass to try to insinuate that BTSA have nothing to do with ESE Services.

ESE also sent out the original letters before they where warned by numerous instutions including RECC who have basically given ESE their final warnings.

The explanation given to the councils who complained about the letters was that ESE Consultants, a marketing company with no relation to ESE Services had sent them out to council residents and that the owner of ESE would reprimand ESE consultants about their actions and that it would not happen again.

So basically, the owner of ESE Services who also owns ESE Consultants spent five minutes telling himself off then set up BTSA to carry on sending the very same letters that the councils and other bodies had warned ESE not to.

ESE Services (BTSA) are in no way connected to other bodies such as the British Solar Trade Association who are aware of what ESE Services have done with the name and the letter.
    Last edited by MP2017rach; 02-04-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: grammar
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 2nd Apr 19, 9:49 AM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 21,563 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Last year they went to great lengths to get posts removed from MSE about the company. I had the threat of legal action taken against me.

I just said what I wanted to say in a different way. As you can see from my posts on this subject they seem to have gone into hiding.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • MP2017rach
    • By MP2017rach 4th Apr 19, 5:13 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MP2017rach
    Seems that ESE have now moved into air source heat pumps so it would not be a surprise to see more letters suggesting that the house could flood unless the homeowner bought an air source heap pump from them. I wonder if they will use the same trick with a salesman dressed in a yellow jacket and carrying a tape measure pretending he is an engineer.
    • MP2017rach
    • By MP2017rach 7th Apr 19, 5:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MP2017rach
    After consulting trading standards and showing the letter to one of our legal team, they have quantified that the act of using the exact same barcode on every letter while giving the impression that is unique to each letter and customer is indeed fraudulent.

The one sent to my mother has been sent to trading standards along with another obtained from a poster on here which shows trading standards that the barcode is exactly the same.

I have even been able to get hold of a card they have used that had been designed to look like an emergency services calling card.

The British Solar Association has found out about the letters sent out by ESE Services - British Trading Solar Association and ordered them to cease sending them out.

Urgent: Fraud Alert
    It has come to our attention over the past few weeks that some consumers are being approached by fraudulent companies using STA branding, and/or purporting to be the STA. This has occurred in the form of letters from the ‘British Trading Solar Association’ offering homeowners ‘free solar health checks’ as well as employment opportunities through freelance jobs sites.

We urge you to beware of any such communications as they are fraudulent.

If you receive unsolicited letters from companies offering free services for your solar panels, we advise you to either ignore the letter completely or, if you are concerned, to contact your original installer or an MCS-accredited installer that is also a member of a consumer body such as RECC or HIES for advice. All STA installer members are verified by these bodies, meaning they adhere to strict trading standards. If you’d like to escalate your complaint, please report the incident to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06.

Additionally, please note that the Solar Trade Association will always list employment opportunities on the careers page of our website and on LinkedIn– if you do not see a role listed here, it is not legitimate.
    • MP2017rach
    • By MP2017rach 5th Jun 19, 8:52 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MP2017rach
    ESE Consultants now RHI Energy Savings
    It looks like another very similar letter is doing the rounds but this time it is from RHI Energy Savings Limited. The subject is about air source heat pumps and tries to make out that it is from an advisory service helping people see how much they can get from the renewable heat incentive.

On searching for the company on the companies house website guess who is the owner?
    Yes you guessed right, none other than Gary Fredson the owner of ESE Consultants Limited who appeared in the newspapers just recently about the Solar PV letters.

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/beware-letters-offering-free-solar

FREDSON, Gary Mark

Correspondence address
    Units A103-A104 Business First, Liverpool Business Centre, 23-25 Goodlass Road, Liverpool, England, L24 9HT

Same address as ESE Consultants Limited.

These people are not very bright. They have rebranded, moved offices but still leave a gaping trail.
    Last edited by MP2017rach; 05-06-2019 at 8:53 AM. Reason: word spacing
    • Allenharry
    • By Allenharry 3rd Sep 19, 7:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Allenharry
    We’ve had Solarplants (Wales) ‘upgrade’ our system, with SolarEdge. Perfectly working before, we were lured in by the smooth talking cold caller offering a 25year warranty and a ‘free’ health check. The assessor (double glazing salesman in disguise as a surveyor) claimed the system was faulty, under generating and may catch fire.
    Offered us this special discount on the day, because it was a group discount with others in the street etc, but we fell for it. It’s been broken since early May, Solarplants have done little or nothing about it and really don’t care.
    We’ve lost £600 in generation, and Solarplants claim we haven’t. How would they know, it’s not working !

We’ve now been contacted by ESE services, they claim they fix Solarplants workmanship all the time and have been given the solar plants customer list by SolarEdge because customers are so unhappy.
    But ESE looks like a scam also.

My advice now would be, if it’s not broken don’t fix it !
    • bones1066
    • By bones1066 21st Oct 19, 2:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bones1066
    Now also EVOenergysolutions Gary Mark Fredson
    Same sort of scam letters being sent to us for 'free' MOT of inverter, barcode etc etc,'The British Standard of Solar' not real! he is now registered at Preston with this new company. Very difficult to filter the dross on google as our installer was the well respected Evo Energy in Nottingham - they are NOT the same!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

618Posts Today

6,550Users online

Martin's Twitter