Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Medicine Storage, Where Do You Keep Yours?

Bathroom

13.79% • 12 votes

Kitchen

56.32% • 49 votes

Somewhere Else

29.89% • 26 votes

You may not vote on this poll

87 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 14th Oct 19, 4:28 PM
    • 2,810Posts
    • 1,593Thanks
    anotheruser
    Medicines - Bathroom or Kitchen
    • 14th Oct 19, 4:28 PM
    Medicines - Bathroom or Kitchen 14th Oct 19 at 4:28 PM
    Where do you store yours?
    Just interested.

Pick where you keep MOST of your medicines, or where you keep normal ones (not personalised).
    Last edited by anotheruser; 15-10-2019 at 2:46 PM.
Page 2
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 15th Oct 19, 9:28 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    sazaccount
    My parents keep the OTC stuff in the kitchen along with their prescriptions. Bandages, plasters, the spare blister plasters for my feet (as they hate shoes I'm 31 and live in a totally different country but mum will always have stuff ready for my feet ) and very old OTC in a box at the end of their bed.

I live in kind of a lodging situation so mine are in my bedroom but the family have vitamins in one of the kitchen cupboards.

There is no children in either house but at my parents the OTC lived in one of the top cupboards when my brother was little now they are just on the side.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 16th Oct 19, 6:37 AM
    • 3,821 Posts
    • 7,345 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I'd never really thought about it - but I have some in a high kitchen cupboard, some in the bedside cupboards (hayfever and antacid, as I'm most likely to need those at night).

I also carry hayfever tablets in my handbag.

And I started carrying aspirin in my handbag too, after working at a GP surgery for a while. If someone having a heart attack can be given aspirin as soon as possible, it could make all the difference, so I started carrying some on me, just in case. The chances of me being in the right place at the right time is very small indeed, but if everyone did this lives could be saved.
    • Mrs pbradley936
    • By Mrs pbradley936 16th Oct 19, 3:31 PM
    • 13,569 Posts
    • 21,656 Thanks
    Mrs pbradley936
    Bedroom because I have to take statin at night and a blood pressure tablet in the morning. Both are on my beside cabinet.

Things like painkillers, imodium, Rennies etc. are in a drawer in the dressing table and I have plasters, savlon, TCP and such in the kitchen in a drawer.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 16th Oct 19, 6:47 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 6,144 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I s'pose bathroom and kitchen are both bad because they are typically warm? A lot of meds state to store below 25 C but above freezing, so perhaps somewhere like a pantry or larder would be best? (Mine are all over the shop.)
    • Cash-Cows
    • By Cash-Cows 17th Oct 19, 1:05 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Cash-Cows
    There's no option for "worst poll ever."
    • Moll27
    • By Moll27 17th Oct 19, 1:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Moll27
    Kitchen. Don't have any cupboards in the bathroom!
    • cattie
    • By cattie 17th Oct 19, 1:27 PM
    • 8,117 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    cattie
    All those prescription ones that I need to take daily are on a shelf in my wardrobe in my bedroom, but other non essential medications are stored in the bathroom.

I also keep a First Aid box with plasters, bandages etc. in a storage cupboard in my inner lobby where I also keep toilet rolls & lightbulbs.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 17th Oct 19, 7:58 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    jackomdj
    We have a 'half height' cupboard in the kitchen above the sink where we store all the first aid items not currently being used, which is how I voted. I always have painkillers and antihistamine tablets in my bag, I often have antihistamine cream in there too (daughter reacts to various animals and other daughter to random foods). Then I have painkillers by my bed and a few other 'bits' in the bedroom. Finally my drawer at work always has painkillers and usually lemsip etc if I haven't used it up.

My children are old enough not to touch meds if they are on the side and also take the antihistamine if they need it and I am not around.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 19th Oct 19, 12:46 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    chesky
    In the kitchen, as I live alone and that's the most convenient. However, I did keep them in the bathroom after my three year-old daughter opened the kitchen drawer where the children's aspirin was stored and managed to open what was supposed to be the child-proof cap on the bottle and swallowed what was left in the bottle. All she said was 'I really like them mummy'. Stomach pumping was involved but, happy to say she's now 54 and shows no effect of her misadventure, but a lesson to us. Don't believe 'child-proof'.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 19th Oct 19, 9:05 PM
    • 6,096 Posts
    • 12,122 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Kitchen not enough room in the bathroom.

There are in a high cabinet my son can't reach. I try to keep one shelf for them but this seems to be growing into them having a dedicated cupboard!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Oct 19, 5:02 AM
    • 29,772 Posts
    • 102,815 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Utility room in a high cupboard.
    Things are more like they are right now than they've ever been.

• anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 20th Oct 19, 2:04 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Really surprises me.

Here's my reasons for bathroom:

It's upstairs so if I have a headache, I can go to bed without having to walk downstairs and back up again.

If I have cough mixture, it's usually before bed. I don't swig it throughout the day but take the correct amount.

I have a high cupboard in the bathroom that can't be reached by kids.
    High cupboards in the kitchen could still be accessed if a child climbs on the surface.

No right or wrong answer, just being nosey.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,319Posts Today

9,062Users online

Martin's Twitter