Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 4,136Posts
    • 727Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Swimming tracker devices
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    Swimming tracker devices 12th Jul 18 at 10:30 PM
    Funny feeling this will be a long shot but it's worth a try.

I recently bought (& then returned) a Moov Now swimming tracker. I'd done a bit of reading on them (obviously not enough) and it got decent reviews.

I had my concerns initially. I wasn't convinced that technology had advanced enough to give us accurate readings for swimming but when i read the reviews i bought one. It started out ok but by the second swim session i was noticing issues in accuracy.

Basically if i did a series of lengths, say 400mtrs worth, it would accurately record how many lengths i'd done - so that part was good. I'd question how accurate it was at timing each length although to be fair to it i think it was pretty much right so i'll let that go. The time it took to do a turn was in my opinion frequently out BUT at least it recorded how many lengths i'd done and i knew the time was somewhere near being right.

My issue with this thing was when i was trying to set a fast length. More often than not it fell in to 2 categories .... it either grouped 2 lengths as 1 (so instead of me doing a 15 second length, if i did 15 seconds for my fast lap followed by a 25 second taking it easy down the other end, it would call it a 40 second lap) ..... OR it just simply would not record the length at all.

The last time i went i made a number of entries to see if they'd show. For example, i'd do say 4 lengths, take a 2 minute break (it recorded breaks too) and then do a fast length followed by a 90 second break - so i knew to check the app i should have a fast length after an entry of 4 continuous lengths. Not one of these recorded and i did numerous.

So after that long winded grumble i'm just wondering if anyone has any other swimming tracker? I know they're more expensive but are they any more accurate? The Garmin was one i was looking at. Apple Watch 3 is another although i'd possibly not spend that kind of money yet.

Page 1
    • fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 13th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    fannyadams
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    Ask if the pool has Swimtag and then compare the two?
    HWTHMBO and I both have Moov Nows, we got them because he does triathlon training. He gets on fine with the lap swimming thing but our gym also has Swimtag and he likes to compare the two at least twice a week just to 'calibrate' the moov.
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 13th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 13th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    Looks like the nearest swimtag is a good distance from me.

In the end i sent my Moov back. It was ok if i was doing length after length to give me a rough idea but for me it just wasn't accurate enough to warrant 50. I don't know if the more expensive swim trackers are any better or not but i'm not about to pay out to find out either.

I think i'll just have to give it time and hope technology comes on enough.

• juliejames
    • By juliejames 16th Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    juliejames
    • 16th Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    • 16th Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    Funny feeling this will be a long shot but it's worth a try.

I recently bought (& then returned) a Moov Now swimming tracker. I'd done a bit of reading on them (obviously not enough) and it got decent reviews.

I had my concerns initially. I wasn't convinced that technology had advanced enough to give us accurate readings for swimming but when i read the reviews i bought one. It started out ok but by the second swim session i was noticing issues in accuracy.

Basically if i did a series of lengths, say 400mtrs worth, it would accurately record how many lengths i'd done - so that part was good. I'd question how accurate it was at timing each length although to be fair to it i think it was pretty much right so i'll let that go. The time it took to do a turn was in my opinion frequently out BUT at least it recorded how many lengths i'd done and i knew the time was somewhere near being right.

My issue with this thing was when i was trying to set a fast length. More often than not it fell in to 2 categories .... it either grouped 2 lengths as 1 (so instead of me doing a 15 second length, if i did 15 seconds for my fast lap followed by a 25 second taking it easy down the other end, it would call it a 40 second lap) ..... OR it just simply would not record the length at all.

The last time i went i made a number of entries to see if they'd show. For example, i'd do say 4 lengths, take a 2 minute break (it recorded breaks too) and then do a fast length followed by a 90 second break - so i knew to check the app i should have a fast length after an entry of 4 continuous lengths. Not one of these recorded and i did numerous.

So after that long winded grumble i'm just wondering if anyone has any other swimming tracker? I know they're more expensive but are they any more accurate? The Garmin was one i was looking at. Apple Watch 3 is another although i'd possibly not spend that kind of money yet.
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    amazing device thanks for this post
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 19th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 19th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 19th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    Most of the modern garmin watches have a swim mode which count laps and detects stroke type.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 19th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 19th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 19th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    Most of the modern garmin watches have a swim mode which count laps and detects stroke type.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    True but the Moov Now also has a swimming feature and was supposed to do the exact same thing (and to be fair it did for the most part, it just wasn't as accurate as i'd like).

I question whether the more expensive devices (Garmin, Apple etc) are more accurate.

I just don't have the money to 'try-&-see'. If they're very accurate then i'd get one but if they fail in the same areas the Moov Now did then i may as well buy a device at a fraction of the cost to be equally inaccurate.

• jonybrown
    • By jonybrown 3rd Oct 18, 5:40 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jonybrown
    • 3rd Oct 18, 5:40 AM
    • 3rd Oct 18, 5:40 AM
    You can try TomTom Multi Sport GPS
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 21st May 19, 4:09 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    charlotte1994
    • 21st May 19, 4:09 PM
    • 21st May 19, 4:09 PM
    I have a Fitbit Flex 2 and that is designed for swimming! There is no interface though
    I got it on eBay for 30 at auction
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 21st May 19, 10:38 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 21st May 19, 10:38 PM
    • 21st May 19, 10:38 PM
    I've used my wife's Garmin Vivoactive 3 and to be honest it's not as good as the Moov Now. The Moov, if it was more accurate, would be perfect.

• boyse7en
    • By boyse7en 13th Jun 19, 4:37 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    boyse7en
    I've been using a Garmin Swim for a few years now and it has been great for pool work. It counts lengths so is no good for open water swims, but it seems pretty accurate (good enough for me)

It will sometimes count phantom turns if I change stroke halfway through a length (catching up a swimmer in front and having to slow down) but is otherwise good.

Bought it used boxed from CIX for about 30 and it was immaculate. Still in vgc as it only gets used a few times a week and is washed every outing
    • jim8888
    • By jim8888 15th Jul 19, 10:43 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    jim8888
    I've got an Apple watch and find it is pretty accurate at counting laps in the pool. Unlike me, it doesn't miss any out! It's also got a good HR monitor and pedometer plus a load of apps that apply to fitness (which I don't really use.) I'm not sure, however, that if it goes on the blink I'd buy another.
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 22nd Aug 19, 5:59 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 4,190 Thanks
    13Kent
    Does anyone know of a cheap version that counts laps in the pool and has a visible screen please? I've used a cheap version of a fitbit to track my steps (8 off ebay) but would like something that I could also use when swimming.

I'm not too bothered about it needing to be extremely accurate with distance - (my second cheap version fitbit counted less steps for the same walk than my first, but I just aim to do more steps than my usual amount).

I'd like be able to count lengths as I quite often lose count when I stop for a chat!

(as you can tell I'm not a serious sports person, just someone who would like to track an increase their daily activity).

• BenSherman
    • By BenSherman 15th Sep 19, 8:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BenSherman
    The best is Garmin, cheaper and good quality - mi band
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 15th Sep 19, 9:10 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Apple Watch 3 is down at 199 now.

I was very tempted ... until i realised that once my iPhone dies i'll be switching to Android. That could be in 7 days or 7 years though.

• Soundgirlrocks
    • By Soundgirlrocks 16th Sep 19, 4:46 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    Soundgirlrocks
    I've got an apple watch 3 for swimming and I love it, perhaps not the most MSE but I really like that it can track different strokes and maps open water swims. Plus I like the reassurance that I can use it for calls if I'm out in open water and have a problem (phone in tow float so I don't need the cellular version) not that I am ever that far from help!
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 7th Oct 19, 3:26 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    I have an old Garmn - about 5 years old, it is quite inaccurate as it often says I have done odd numbers of lengths - when I know that I am back where I started so it must have been an even number.
    It particularly doesn't like it, if you change strokes.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    • 7,802 Posts
    • 53,365 Thanks
    Gers
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-49852311/can-ar-goggles-make-swimming-more-fun

These look really interesting - hope they make it to the UK market at a keen price.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 20th Oct 19, 10:28 AM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Garmin has just launched the Garmin Swim 2!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,718Posts Today

8,997Users online

Martin's Twitter