Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ninja687
    • By ninja687 6th Sep 19, 8:49 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ninja687
    Left old joib for new job but now i am jobless and not my fault
    • 6th Sep 19, 8:49 PM
    Left old joib for new job but now i am jobless and not my fault 6th Sep 19 at 8:49 PM
    Hi there

I am really hoping i could get some advice and support regarding this very difficult situation i been put in.

please read the full post, i apologise if its long but i desperately need advice on this,.

I applied for a job with BT Openreach 4-5 month ago and i successfully passed everything and was told i got the job. I did not tell my employers (place i was working at first) until i pass the CRB and get 100% confirmation that i got the BT role . A month after my interview + all necessary checks, i was told i got the job 100% and my training will start mid august.

Now , During the interview stage, they asked me if there is any days that i will be busy or need off and i told them that 26th August which was bank holiday monday i need to have it clear for my sisters wedding. Even though it was bank holiday, i still wrote it down just in case.

I left my old job end of july . A few days later early august , i get a call from openreach telling me my start date (induction week) will be on the 26th of august for 7 days and the place i have to go is a 3-4 hour drive which they will pick us up from nearest station to us and take us there.

As you can tell, 26th is the day of my sisters wedding and its bank holiday. I told the guy that the wedding starts on the afternoon which is when the BT guys pick us up around 3-4pm, my sisters wedding finishes at 6pm. We came to an agreement that i should make my own way to the place and get there before 11pm. I told him i will ask my brother and my brother agreed to take me even though this would mean me and my brother missing the after party of my own sisters wedding.

Now, 26th arrive, 2 hours before i have to leave, my brothers car stops working. i start to panic as i try to find alternative but it was impossible to drive all the way up north on that day. I emailed the BT people notifying them of my situation and begged them to let me come the next day and reminded them that i told them literally months ago that i will be busy on the 26th which im assuming they had no problem with since no one bothered to mention it and anytime i did mention that fact, they try to dodge and avoid responding.

I get a call from openreach employment a day after telling me that there is no other start dates and i lotst the job. The person on the phone even stated that i should of prioritised the job over my own sisters wedding. She kept changing subject or blaming me everytime i tell them that i booked the 26th off and it was confirmed on the interview date (plus its bank holiday)...

Now i lost the openreach job and i cant go back to my old job. I left my old job due to getting the BT job. I would not of left my old job if i was not 100% i got the bt job. but i had to leave and provide 2 weeks notice since initially openreach told us the start date was going to be early to mid august (not 26th).

What can i do? I even sent more emails to them for advice and they stop responding to me after the 28th of august and not got any reply from them.

I am severely depressed and panicking as i feel like i been cheated and even when they confirmed and agrreed upon my day off request for the bank holiday monday 26th , even though it was a bank holiday and i assumed i would not even need to book that day off but i still did just in case, even after passing every single assessment and checks they requested, I was super excited to start working with BT but they let me go even though i begged to come the day after .

Is there any legal action i could take against them? i would really appreciate some advice on what i can do or if there is anything i can do to take action against them or any hope of support.

THank you
    Last edited by ninja687; 06-09-2019 at 9:17 PM.
Page 2
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 8th Sep 19, 11:15 AM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 5,117 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    If you left your previous employer on good terms, swallow your pride and ask for your job back.

What's the worst that can happen...they say no.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Sep 19, 11:45 AM
    • 4,251 Posts
    • 5,696 Thanks
    unforeseen
    So if I understand correctly the induction actually started on the Tuesday.

Openreach being good employers arranged, due the the distance of the course from where the OP lived, to pick them up the previous day and take them there. I assume OR are covering the overnight stays. They did this to ensure that OP would be ready to go first thing Tuesday.

OP being unable to use the arranged transport, refused this and negotiated with them to travel later. OP subsequently failed to do this resulting in failing to attend the first day.

As is common with lots of companies, failure to attend the first day of induction/work results in it being withdrawn.

OP only has themselves to blame.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 10th Sep 19, 7:04 PM
    • 8,737 Posts
    • 8,001 Thanks
    phill99
    Its always someone elses fault isn't it?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Oct 19, 10:06 AM
    • 35,282 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Any news OP ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,153Posts Today

7,502Users online

Martin's Twitter