Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 19th Oct 19, 9:22 PM
    • 613Posts
    • 1,116Thanks
    couriervanman
    John Lewis Broadband Price Increase
    • 19th Oct 19, 9:22 PM
    John Lewis Broadband Price Increase 19th Oct 19 at 9:22 PM
    I am still in contract for fibre extra broadband with phone ,they are adding 2 to line rental but are not increasing the price of broadband
    I might consider leaving them but not sure if i could cancel the broadband as this price has not been increased?.
    Email says i can leave without incurring any early termination charges if i inform them within 30 days giving them 14 days notice
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 19th Oct 19, 10:57 PM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 19th Oct 19, 10:57 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 10:57 PM
    Yeah this might be because John Lewis broadband is powered by Plusnet who sent out similar emails recently.

Unfortunately with Plusnet (and I presume its the same with John Lewis) you can't now have the broadband without the phone. Previously you could. Now you can't, so it seems that if one side goes up you receive a get out of jail free card.

If you are able to leave penalty free search the market and see if you can find a better deal, costs nothing to find out.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 19th Oct 19, 11:43 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    couriervanman
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:43 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 11:43 PM
    Forgot about the phone being part of package.....thanks
    • Farway
    • By Farway 23rd Oct 19, 3:36 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 15,571 Thanks
    Farway
    • 23rd Oct 19, 3:36 PM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 3:36 PM
    I've just had same 2 increase e mail, slightly miffed as I only joined them a fortnight back.

'phoned to see if they would keep at the original cost I recently signed up for but no, so I'm off to Now, I could be jumping out of the frying pan but time will tell
    • However
    • By However 24th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    However
    • 24th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 24th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    You mustn't be so ungrateful you've had your prices hiked. On the contrary, be joyful, because JL's FAQS state the reason for the price hike is that "We're constantly looking at ways to provide you with an even better service"

Well, the way they've found is to raise the price. It's meaningless twaddle like this that gets my goat.

But it's made all the more stupid, or indeed, offensive because I've been unable to access my latest Bill (nor any previous ones) for over a week now because their website is broken (again - second time this year).

JL's claims of a better service ring so hollow.
    • JMC39
    • By JMC39 25th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    JMC39
    • 25th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    I've just received the same email. What is the process for leaving? Is it the same as any normal provider move or do I need to cancel with them before I can move to somebody new?

I've seen https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/10/plusnet-to-hike-broadband-and-phone-charges-from-december/ but it's not clear how I move to another provider.

Thanks
    Last edited by JMC39; 25-10-2019 at 1:21 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Oct 19, 1:36 PM
    • 13,425 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 25th Oct 19, 1:36 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 1:36 PM
    It says .

If you're a Plusnet customer affected by a broadband or line rental price rise you can leave penalty-free by calling customer services on 0800 432 0200 within 30 days of receiving its notification.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 25th Oct 19, 2:40 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 15,571 Thanks
    Farway
    • 25th Oct 19, 2:40 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 2:40 PM
    I've just received the same email. What is the process for leaving? Is it the same as any normal provider move or do I need to cancel with them before I can move to somebody new?

I've seen https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/10/plusnet-to-hike-broadband-and-phone-charges-from-december/ but it's not clear how I move to another provider.

Thanks
    Originally posted by JMC39
    You need to call and be explicit you are cancelling because of price hike.

I called but was not explicit, then had a bill [since cancelled] as it was assumed I was just leaving them on a whim part way through contract
    If you tell them why they put a "no contract cancel bill" flag on your file
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,967Posts Today

9,335Users online

Martin's Twitter