Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dalo
    • By dalo 19th Oct 19, 12:59 PM
    • 194Posts
    • 38Thanks
    dalo
    Signed off but can I return earlier?
    • 19th Oct 19, 12:59 PM
    Signed off but can I return earlier? 19th Oct 19 at 12:59 PM
    Hi, Iíve had bunion surgery (only yesterday) so I may be a bit drugged up ha! But I was hoping for two weeks total bed rest and then working from home until I can drive again. However the doctor has signed me off for 4 weeks.

So what if any are the consequences if I decide Iím ok after two weeks and want to start work? Can my employer get in trouble if I do that? Theyíd be happy to have me back Iím sure! My home is all set up for working. Just didnít know if there were any HSE laws regarding sick notes.
Page 1
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 19th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    • 19th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    I was off last year and in a similar situation and was told by my employer that they could get in trouble and they would need a doctors note to say I was OK if I went back early

HTH
    • elsien
    • By elsien 19th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 20,104 Posts
    • 51,170 Thanks
    elsien
    • 19th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 1:18 PM
    Your doctor probably signed you off because he thought you'd be in the workplace for the whole period.
    If you and your employer are happy for you to work from home you could always request an updated fit note specifying that. It really does depend on the reasons for giving you the 4 weeks in the first place.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Barney Rubble 0403
    • By Barney Rubble 0403 19th Oct 19, 1:21 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Barney Rubble 0403
    • 19th Oct 19, 1:21 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 1:21 PM
    Back in the days when I played football I managed to break my arm and was signed off for a few weeks. I went back early but was sent home as told that I wouldn't be covered by their insurance. This was a government agency as well.
    :
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 19th Oct 19, 3:04 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 19th Oct 19, 3:04 PM
    • 19th Oct 19, 3:04 PM
    The employing organisation should check with their insurer (employers liability insurance) or, more simply, request a new fit note to cover the situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,316Posts Today

8,788Users online

Martin's Twitter