We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Ivy

Options
Hi,

I have recently moved into a new house. I noticed that one of the fences has ivy growing quite out of control from my side of the boundary.

The neighbour recently told me that the ivy has destroyed the fence and is growing up the side of her house. She has asked the 2 previous owners to sort this but they never did.

We currently don't have any spare finances to deal with this, also I like the privacy the ivy gives to that side of my garden. Plus her garden is an absolute mess so she clearly hasn't tried cutting back the ivy from their side.

She claims I own the fence, although my title deeds are silent on the matter. I want to know if I am obliged to do anything, or can I just give her permission to get it sorted if she wants to and she pays for it herself.

I don't sound like a very good neighbour, but I have too many other things falling apart in the house to deal with right now!

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You have a right to grow ivy, and if your neighbour says it's your fence, you can grow it up that if you wish.

Your neighbour has a right to cut back any ivy which grows on her side of the fence.

That's most of what can be said. The rest is up to your social skills, especially in the matter of determining what really lies behind the neighbour's focus on this topic!
  • Paula_Smith
    Options
    The vertical fenceposts are usually on the side that owns the fence - not always the case but a general indicator.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If the ivy growing up the side of her house starts on your ground maybe just for neighbourliness cut the main stems that go onto her house
    No need to try & remove it, it'll slowly die & drop off

Otherwise if the ivy on her house starts on her land then it's up to her to sort it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The vertical fenceposts are usually on the side that owns the fence - not always the case but a general indicator.

While that is traditionally the case, it seems to be increasingly common for fences to be constructed the other way around. I guess this allows whoever is doing the work to do it from the owner’s side and it allows the owner to see the “finished” side of the fence. It may be pragmatic, but it always looks wrong to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure