Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elanfan
    • By Elanfan 27th Aug 19, 10:54 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Elanfan
    TalkTalk charging for emails!
    • 27th Aug 19, 10:54 AM
    TalkTalk charging for emails! 27th Aug 19 at 10:54 AM
    Many years ago when I first went on the internet so probably in the early 90s maybe 80s (Im old now and forget!) I signed up to free email initially with Lineone and a second email address with Tiscali. Both these ISPs were subsequently taken over by TalkTalk.

In the last week Ive had an email from TalkTalk stating that they were going to start charging me for my Lineone email at the rate of 50 a year. Theyve not contacted me yet about my Tiscali email address but doubtless they will want to charge on that one too.

My Lineone address is probably 30 years old, Im sadly quite attached to it. I have acquaintances who only know or contact me via that address, I have website logins using that address and also use it as a recovery address.

I think its wrong for them to have taken over other ISPs that offered free email and now they wont stand by that offer. I have complained to the CEOs office but just had a call from a totally disinterested girl call me and say that unfortunately that is now their policy!

This must affect many thousands of people. Is there something MSE can do to bring pressure or unwanted attention to them?
Page 3
    • Lineoneuser
    • By Lineoneuser 27th Sep 19, 1:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lineoneuser
    Like many of you I have been using lineone and tiscali email addresses for free since the late 90s. I am not upset that Talk Talk decided to charge for them. However, I am annoyed that I cannot close them without opening an account with Talk Talk. I find this so absurd. Register in order to unregister. Every other email address has an option to close the email address from within the webmail settings. I hope deliverance will come soon.
    • purley
    • By purley 1st Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    purley
    Disappointed
    I got free email with my Gateway computer and a Gateway address (I had previously only had a Hotmail account with my first home PC) which then morphed several times through tiscali/wanadoo/orange/ee before I decamped in disgust at the orange/ee service (they phoned me about 20 times a day trying to sell me stuff and almost sent me mad). My tiscali addresses (3) have remained my primary addresses as they have my and my husband's full names. I don't sign in at all as the emails are automatically retrieved into my Outlook 2007 which I prefer to the later editions and I don't have an Outlook address at all. I changed all my Yahoo log-ins and tried to let people know I no longer was going to use Yahoo mail as it was forever going down and now I have to lose the Tiscali addresses as well even though I don't use any functions of the site at all. I can't say I'm happy at the short notice. I'll probably never remember some of the people/businesses that only have my Tiscali addresses so I will lose touch with so many. I have recently moved house and so any I missed with the change of address will now be lost to me. Shame this could not have been handled better, and with more notice. I got my email this morning and have ignored a couple before as I thought they were spam/phishing emails as I don't have TalkTalk and that's what the headline said. This time I Googled and found it was true.
    • ilurvfree
    • By ilurvfree 2nd Oct 19, 4:42 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    ilurvfree
    Surely they could allow you to Port your email address using something similar to a PAC code used by the mobile companies?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 2nd Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    • 35,262 Posts
    • 22,254 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Surely they could allow you to Port your email address using something similar to a PAC code used by the mobile companies?
    Originally posted by ilurvfree

Its not available.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 2nd Oct 19, 8:25 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    Takmon
    Originally posted by ilurvfree
    No because if you have an "@gmail.com" address for example all the data will still be sent to the gmail.com server and then you are expecting them to commit to forwarding this data on indefinitely to the new email provider so your still using their server resources.

So why would any company want to do this when the receive no benefit from it ?
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 3rd Oct 19, 9:24 AM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    hpuse
    Its not available.
    Originally posted by DCFC79

It is indeed available, and that is what OP has been asked to pay 50 for, since Talktalk appears to be doing some kind of rationalisation of various email/SMTP domains they are currently holding.

Technically, it is called email domain migration.
    Another example for this is virginmedia customers with legacy @ntlworld.com and @blueyonder.com email aliases.
    • pugsley29
    • By pugsley29 7th Oct 19, 3:36 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    pugsley29
    Not enough notice will probably take me 6 months to sort this out. Not happy.
    Wishing you a lucky 2019
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 7th Oct 19, 12:27 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    vacheron
    This is why I bought the w w w.myrealname.com domain around 20 years ago as all I have to do is give everyone my email@myrealname.com e-mail address.

This makes switching ISP's a piece of cake as all I have to do is set my domain provider to re-direct all e-mails to the new ISP's e-mail address and nobody who has my e-mail address needs to know or do anything.
    Last edited by vacheron; 07-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    The rich buy assets.
    The poor only have expenses.
    The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 8th Oct 19, 9:45 AM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    hpuse
    still have to reconfigure email server side every time you do the ISP switch. Also, some ISPs (for e.g Vodafone) do not offer email service anymore as a part of their DSL broadband.To some people, it may sound like piece of ...

This is why I bought the w w w.myrealname.com domain around 20 years ago as all I have to do is give everyone my email@myrealname.com e-mail address.

This makes switching ISP's a piece of cake as all I have to do is set my domain provider to re-direct all e-mails to the new ISP's e-mail address and nobody who has my e-mail address needs to know or do anything.
    Originally posted by vacheron
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 8th Oct 19, 10:01 AM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 4,172 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Amazed that anyone is still keeping email addresses from an ISP that has been effectively defunct for 20 years, and more to the point expects to retain that email address for life despite not actually using the service.

Just move to Gmail or Yahoo or Outlook.com or iCloud like everyone else did. Why would you even want an ISP-provided email address anyway, it's far less flexible?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 10th Oct 19, 9:52 AM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 15,719 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Well I finally got the e-mail on 16th Sep to both of my tiscali addresses - telling me I'd have to pay from 1st October. Given that over the last few months; the webmail service availability has fallen off, the spam filters are unreliable and ads are more intrusive... I'm certainly not convinced to pay for their service.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Still using the account for free...

After telling me they would close from 1st October they are now saying that I will get reduced service from 9th November and after that they will start switching off if you haven't signed up. The "improved" interface they brought in earlier this year is not an improvement as far as I can see - the availability has improved but the spam hasn't. So still no incentive to pay them for the service.

I'm surprised they haven't even tried to entice me back to them as an ISP either...
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • hpuse
    • By hpuse 10th Oct 19, 12:24 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    hpuse
    This sounds like poor planning from folks sitting in the IT towers of Talktalk group HQ.
    This is what their group front page says

TalkTalk is the UK’s leading value for money consumer and B2B telecoms provider. Our mission is to deliver affordable, reliable, simple and fair services for everyone.

Still using the account for free...

After telling me they would close from 1st October they are now saying that I will get reduced service from 9th November and after that they will start switching off if you haven't signed up. The "improved" interface they brought in earlier this year is not an improvement as far as I can see - the availability has improved but the spam hasn't. So still no incentive to pay them for the service.

I'm surprised they haven't even tried to entice me back to them as an ISP either...
    • EdRWat
    • By EdRWat 17th Oct 19, 10:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EdRWat
    I've only just found about this today - no email from TalkTalk yet. I have broadband/phone through TalkTalk and the account is still linked to the original email address.

I found about it via their LiveChat function on the website. Reason it came up was because the "email a transcript" option failed to deliver anything to my @tiscali.co.uk account. I wonder if they have tried emailing me and it has failed to arrive
    • Woodturner4711
    • By Woodturner4711 30th Oct 19, 3:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Woodturner4711
    Hi, I have had my line one address for many years, I have tried to sign up to talktalk plus without success. I have had several engineers on the phone but they cannot solve the problem. Their system will not except my lineone email address. Any surgestions
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 4th Nov 19, 3:05 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 15,719 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Update:

On one of my TalkTalk e-mails I've now been told that in the next few days; they will downgrade the service (unles I sign up) and I will only be able to access it as webmail - not through e.g. Outlook. So that fits with the extended deadline of 9 Nov but it's not being completely withdrawn.

On the other - I've now been told that It has been upgraded (this is the third time they've told me and I see no great improvement) but if I don't sign up they will withdraw the service on 3rd Jan 2020. Are they trying to outdo Brexit for extensions or something?
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • joho
    • By joho 4th Nov 19, 7:49 PM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    joho
    Forgive my ignorance, I have a Tiscali email and only ever access it through webmail. Will I still be able to do that?

I'll start migrating everything to a gmail address, but that'll obviously take time!
    There - in that place; they're - they are; their - owned by them.
    If you have nothing constructive to say, just move along.
    • grumpyoldwoman
    • By grumpyoldwoman 5th Nov 19, 8:22 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 7,844 Thanks
    grumpyoldwoman
    I'm in the same position, I have four Tiscali email addresses going back twenty years. If you have a look on the TalkTalk community website, https://community.talktalk.co.uk/ , you'll be able to see what's going on. Lots of people are having problems signing up for the new Mail Plus, including myself. The OCE's have promised that nothing will get deleted until TalkTalk have sorted out the mess, which, like Brexit, might never happen.

If you haven't received any emails inviting you to sign up then there's no need to worry at the moment. If you have received them then you may start losing functionality, eg only being able to access via webmail, and then a few months later the account will be deleted. That should be sufficient time to migrate contacts to another email provider, eg Gmail, as I have been doing, but if you join the community forum and let them know what email addresses you want to keep and are willing to pay for, then they can make sure nothing gets deleted until everything is working properly.

This is the board to read all about it https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/bd-p/myemail

I do think it's worth paying the 5 monthly fee to give you time to move everything to another provider and save any emails you've got in your folders that you don't want to lose.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 5th Nov 19, 11:46 AM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 15,719 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Forgive my ignorance, I have a Tiscali email and only ever access it through webmail. Will I still be able to do that?
    Originally posted by joho
    Given that TalkTalk are giving different information to different email accounts - it seems even they don't really know... Might be a technical reason based on the age of the account? Checking the TalkTalk forums is a good suggestion.

On the efficiency shown so far - I'm surprised people are thinking of paying for the mail service...
    • grumpyoldwoman
    • By grumpyoldwoman 6th Nov 19, 8:20 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 7,844 Thanks
    grumpyoldwoman
    On the efficiency shown so far - I'm surprised people are thinking of paying for the mail service...
    Well, personally I was willing to pay on a monthly basis to give me time to migrate all my contacts to gmail. I have certain accounts that have my tiscali email address, like Council Tax, that only send yearly emails, and although I have changed my contact details with them I can't be sure that the annual bill will come to the new gmail address until I actually get it. So I wanted to keep the tiscali one until I'm sure that all contacts have been moved successfully. One example is our car's dealership, we told them the new gmail address but they are still sending emails to the tiscali one. Plus, two of the four tiscali addresses I have belong to family members and I wanted to be sure they had time to migrate their contacts too. One payment for Mail Plus covers up to five email addresses currently under the TalkTalk umbrella.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 6th Nov 19, 9:40 AM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 15,719 Thanks
    NBLondon
    I take your point about it multiple members... I'm finding that if you change online - most organisations send a confirmation e-mail to old and new. However - if you have an account with someone and are on the mailing list for newsletters - they may not be synchronised. That might be the case with your dealership.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

372Posts Today

4,486Users online

Martin's Twitter