TalkTalk charging for emails!

Comments

• hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This sounds like poor planning from folks sitting in the IT towers of Talktalk group HQ.
    This is what their group front page says
    TalkTalk is the UK’s leading value for money consumer and B2B telecoms provider. Our mission is to deliver affordable, reliable, simple and fair services for everyone.

NBLondon wrote: »
    Still using the account for free...

After telling me they would close from 1st October they are now saying that I will get reduced service from 9th November and after that they will start switching off if you haven't signed up. The "improved" interface they brought in earlier this year is not an improvement as far as I can see - the availability has improved but the spam hasn't. So still no incentive to pay them for the service.

I'm surprised they haven't even tried to entice me back to them as an ISP either...
  • I've only just found about this today - no email from TalkTalk yet. I have broadband/phone through TalkTalk and the account is still linked to the original email address.

I found about it via their LiveChat function on the website. Reason it came up was because the "email a transcript" option failed to deliver anything to my @tiscali.co.uk account. I wonder if they have tried emailing me and it has failed to arrive :rotfl:
  • Hi, I have had my line one address for many years, I have tried to sign up to talktalk plus without success. I have had several engineers on the phone but they cannot solve the problem. Their system will not except my lineone email address. Any surgestions
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Update:

On one of my TalkTalk e-mails I've now been told that in the next few days; they will downgrade the service (unles I sign up) and I will only be able to access it as webmail - not through e.g. Outlook. So that fits with the extended deadline of 9 Nov but it's not being completely withdrawn.

On the other - I've now been told that It has been upgraded (this is the third time they've told me and I see no great improvement) but if I don't sign up they will withdraw the service on 3rd Jan 2020. Are they trying to outdo Brexit for extensions or something?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • joho
    joho Posts: 4,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forgive my ignorance, I have a Tiscali email and only ever access it through webmail. Will I still be able to do that?

I'll start migrating everything to a gmail address, but that'll obviously take time!
    If you have nothing constructive to say just move along.
  • I'm in the same position, I have four Tiscali email addresses going back twenty years. If you have a look on the TalkTalk community website, https://community.talktalk.co.uk/ , you'll be able to see what's going on. Lots of people are having problems signing up for the new Mail Plus, including myself. The OCE's have promised that nothing will get deleted until TalkTalk have sorted out the mess, which, like Brexit, might never happen.

If you haven't received any emails inviting you to sign up then there's no need to worry at the moment. If you have received them then you may start losing functionality, eg only being able to access via webmail, and then a few months later the account will be deleted. That should be sufficient time to migrate contacts to another email provider, eg Gmail, as I have been doing, but if you join the community forum and let them know what email addresses you want to keep and are willing to pay for, then they can make sure nothing gets deleted until everything is working properly.

This is the board to read all about it https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/bd-p/myemail

I do think it's worth paying the £5 monthly fee to give you time to move everything to another provider and save any emails you've got in your folders that you don't want to lose.
  • NBLondon
    joho wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, I have a Tiscali email and only ever access it through webmail. Will I still be able to do that?
    Given that TalkTalk are giving different information to different email accounts - it seems even they don't really know... Might be a technical reason based on the age of the account? Checking the TalkTalk forums is a good suggestion.

On the efficiency shown so far - I'm surprised people are thinking of paying for the mail service...
  • NBLondon wrote: »
    On the efficiency shown so far - I'm surprised people are thinking of paying for the mail service...

Well, personally I was willing to pay on a monthly basis to give me time to migrate all my contacts to gmail. I have certain accounts that have my tiscali email address, like Council Tax, that only send yearly emails, and although I have changed my contact details with them I can't be sure that the annual bill will come to the new gmail address until I actually get it. So I wanted to keep the tiscali one until I'm sure that all contacts have been moved successfully. One example is our car's dealership, we told them the new gmail address but they are still sending emails to the tiscali one. Plus, two of the four tiscali addresses I have belong to family members and I wanted to be sure they had time to migrate their contacts too. One payment for Mail Plus covers up to five email addresses currently under the TalkTalk umbrella.
  • NBLondon
    I take your point about it multiple members... I'm finding that if you change online - most organisations send a confirmation e-mail to old and new. However - if you have an account with someone and are on the mailing list for newsletters - they may not be synchronised. That might be the case with your dealership.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well, personally I was willing to pay on a monthly basis to give me time to migrate all my contacts to gmail. I have certain accounts that have my tiscali email address, like Council Tax, that only send yearly emails, and although I have changed my contact details with them I can't be sure that the annual bill will come to the new gmail address until I actually get it. So I wanted to keep the tiscali one until I'm sure that all contacts have been moved successfully. One example is our car's dealership, we told them the new gmail address but they are still sending emails to the tiscali one. Plus, two of the four tiscali addresses I have belong to family members and I wanted to be sure they had time to migrate their contacts too. One payment for Mail Plus covers up to five email addresses currently under the TalkTalk umbrella.

Tiscali haven't existed since 2010 so that's 9 years that you have had so far to migrate your email addresses, how much more time do you need....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure