Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 9th Oct 19, 8:04 PM
    • 760Posts
    • 121Thanks
    kuepper
    Oyster card top up issue
    • 9th Oct 19, 8:04 PM
    Oyster card top up issue 9th Oct 19 at 8:04 PM
    I'm coming to London on an occasional visit in a couple of weeks and so after an arduous navigation of the TFL site I topped up my Oyster card online. I then got a message saying I had to 'collect' the top up by (I think)16 October on a London card reader but I won't be there til 20 October! It added that if I didn't collect I'd be given an automatic refund - so annoyingly I'll have to go through the same rigmorole again. What a crazy system - why can't it just add it ? and why didn't it warn you about the way it worked before you started the top-up process

To avoid this in future is it better going contactless or are there issues with that too?
Page 2
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 16th Oct 19, 5:55 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 2,454 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Can you explain how you are incurring these multiple incomplete journeys that the vast majority of us do not suffer from.?
    Originally posted by Jumblebumble
    I went from my home underground station in zone 1 to Tottenham Hale. I touched out and the gates opened. I then touched in and the gates opened 30 seconds later onto the overground. I then touched out at Enfield Lock where I met a friend for a fast cycle to Cambridge.

Image my surprise when next morning I find that I’ve been charged for 2 incomplete journeys. Called TFL who claimed that there was no touch out or in at Tottenham Hale. Of all the combinations of missed touch out/in’s the one I allegedly did just happened to be the one that maximised TFL revenue...... fancy that!

Anyway bloke on the phone says he couldn’t give me refund of the £17ish max cash fare. I told him I’d used AndroidPay. He didn't quite get it at first so I told him I had gate receipts to PROVE I had touched out/in. Again he didn’t get it and actually told me that Google were trying to defraud TFL. Told him I would be taking it further and that as my receipts proved I did touch out/in and the only defrauding was being done by TFL. He put me on hold to speak to his manager. Came back and he’d been authorised to issue a refund this time as a gesture of good will. Yes, right!!!

I still have the photo of the gate receipts and the TWO incomplete journeys charge.

I currently make around 150 journeys a month..... 3 incomplete journeys is nothing as the £100,000,000’s of money TFL has charged for them proves.
    Last edited by Mr_Singleton; 16-10-2019 at 6:07 PM.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 16th Oct 19, 6:02 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 2,454 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    No idea what you mean here. 100% of times I've asked for a refund (their fault or my fault), I've been given a refund, no quibble. Do you perhaps have a higher than average rate of failing to tap in/out? Perhaps they have reason to suspect you're trying to fiddle the system so that's why you seem to have so much trouble getting refunds.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    So you admit that TFL has got it wrong on 50% of incomplete journeys occasions.... interesting or should I say at £10.50 very profitable that!

Using an OysterCard means I virtually never get incomplete journeys. If I donít have an OysterCard then AndroidPay gives gate receipts so a refund is guaranteed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,857Users online

Martin's Twitter