We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I stripped the stalks off my upright bean poles yesterday and dismantled them apart from one pole which has two younger plants on it still sprouting flowers and tiny beans. I'm reluctant to destroy any plant which still appears to have some life left it it and it's a sort of experiment to see how long they can continue before lower night temperatures kill them off.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My butternut squashes are making a last try - I have at least 6 new babies the size of a tennis ball at the bulbous end. I shall leave them outdoors for the time-being and just make sure they are not rotting on the wet soil.

I have just picked and pickled the last of my little yellow cucumbers, ready to make green tomato and cucumber relish. I had run out of pickling spice so just raided my cupboard and added a bit of caster sugar to some pickling vinegar. I will make the relish tomorrow. I was given 5k of green tomatoes to process. 5 jars of green tomato chutney seems to have barely made a dent!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Managed a good 3 1/2 hours this afternoon with the help of Mrs Un and got quite a lot done despite the rain. Almost got the less leaky greenhouse prepped for overwintering herbs. Finally potted up the Japanese Ginger, a very sorry looking Patchouli and some Perennial Broccoli - still plenty more to do though

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Forumite
    It seems my tomato chutney is not thick enough. So we will just call it green tomato sauce, as I cannot be bothered to reboil it until it thickens!
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It seems my tomato chutney is not thick enough. So we will just call it green tomato sauce, as I cannot be bothered to reboil it until it thickens!

If you have a small amount I wonder if reheating it and then mixing in a small amount of cornflour would work. I haven,t tried it with chutney but it works well with thickening gravies in casseroles.
  • unrecordings
    Forumite
    Primrose wrote: »
    If you have a small amount I wonder if reheating it and then mixing in a small amount of cornflour would work. I haven,t tried it with chutney but it works well with thickening gravies in casseroles.

Or stir in some pectin - cold ?
    The Certo recipe book seems to infer you can do that (with Certo of course)

• unrecordings
    Forumite
    Yesterday tired me out it seems, so another half hour today rescuing the contents of the cold frame and venturing out beyond the greenhouses to the bottom of the garden to see what horrors awaited. I've not really been down there since July. Fortunately most of the weeds are bittercress, which is really nice in ramen...

• Suffolk_lass
    Forumite
    Thanks for those suggestions re thickening my green tomato sauce. DH is very impressed with it as a spread at the moment and after a rare purchase of bread (pumpernickel) the bread has all gone, suggesting he quite likes it.

I don't think I've got any Certo left in my store cupboard and the only pectin I think I have is powdered which I find clumps. I might buy a bottle of Certo when I go shopping next week. I'm dubious about adding cornstarch without first making it liquid in water and then I would need to cook it out (like flour in a sauce).
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Picked about 8 toms on the turn to ripen up inside.

Not sure what to do with the strawberry runners. First year plant, should I just chop them off and chuck or chop them off and plant up? Don't really have the room to plant them up whilst still attached to the main plant
  • unrecordings
    Forumite
    They'll be using energy from the mother plant so I'd personally chop & chuck (or maybe try and find some space to pot a couple up if poss)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure