Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 25
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 20th Feb 19, 3:45 PM
    • 2,761 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    badmemory
    It would keep this thread shorter if we looked for products which HADN'T reduced in size to maintain the price! Or something that hasn't gone up by 10% in the last year.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 21st Feb 19, 12:39 PM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    20aday
    Well I mentioned Kelloggs in a previous post; they've shrunk Cornflakes but their Crunchy Nut products are still the same price, for now, and have increased in volume.

As for Mondelez, not do Mini Eggs taste completely different, they've shrunk those too!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • thor
    • By thor 24th Feb 19, 7:22 PM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 1,900 Thanks
    thor
    I stopped buying Green & Blacks when Cadburys bought them, it never seemed to taste the same. (Probably mind over matter)

Still at least 5 flavours in 100g though https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=Green%20and%20blacks%20100g
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    I long ago stopped buying anything cadburys. They were one of the first and are also one of the most prolific of the shrinkflationers.
    • lassfarfromhome
    • By lassfarfromhome 6th Mar 19, 12:20 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    lassfarfromhome
    Ok, not strictly a shrinking food issue, but misleading packaging. I bought some Eat natural bars from waitrose. When I opened the box (the width of a normal size box) I discovered that they were "snack bar size" and that 1.5in of the width of the box was very expensive air. Nowhere on an unopened package did the words "snack bar" appear although it's true that in small writing at the top of the box it said 4 x 33g. So I suppose if I had memorised the weight of a normal bar, I would have realised these are smaller. I'm so sick of this sh*t. Won't be buying anything from Eat Natural again. Grrr. Can one complain about misleading packaging to an industry watchdog at all?
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 13th Mar 19, 2:25 PM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    20aday
    I have a feeling it's common thing amongst manufacturers; can't for the life of me recall who the offender was but for some time their packaging for the chocolate bar was the size of the previous weight. The 'on average' weight was correct on the bars itself but you could tell they were using the old packaging to clear it through.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • the.weekender
    • By the.weekender 22nd May 19, 8:47 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    the.weekender
    Muller Light reduce their size
    We love Muller Light yogurts but in their greed to make more money the company have reduced the size of the yogurts from 175g to 160 g.

I hate it when companies move the goalposts, however, I doubt if there is an equal alternative product at 175gms is there?
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 22nd May 19, 9:26 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    PLRFD
    You could always make your own it’s not really difficult.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 22nd May 19, 9:32 AM
    • 7,764 Posts
    • 15,597 Thanks
    Farway
    You could always make your own it’s not really difficult.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    I second this. I make my own, full fat not "light" but it really is easy once you get going

I make it in approx 140ml size, getting 7 from 1 litre of full fat milk, works out around 8p a pot in my case. Obvs depends on cost of milk
    Last edited by Farway; 22-05-2019 at 9:37 AM.
    • Matty36
    • By Matty36 23rd May 19, 5:49 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Matty36
    Probably a!ready mentioned but double deckers are half the size they used to be and yorkies have shrunk massively and has one !ess chunk.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd May 19, 9:34 PM
    • 31,380 Posts
    • 65,391 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Probably a!ready mentioned but double deckers are half the size they used to be and yorkies have shrunk massively and has one !ess chunk.
    Originally posted by Matty36
    I happen to think this shrinkage is for the greater good. The fact that prices for single bars are so ridiculously high means that chocolate is a rare purchase for me now.

If only they would do the same thing with biscuits
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 9th Oct 19, 6:47 PM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Sad to report that Border Biscuits has craftily reduced its butter sultana shortcakes packet from 150gms to 135gms. The new pack makes a big deal out of the 'reduced packaging' and 'same quality' but doesn't mention the significant reduction in quantity.

It always strikes me as a shame when one of the little companies, which I always prefer to support, adopts the same rotten tactics beloved by the giants of the food industry.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Oct 19, 7:43 PM
    • 9,054 Posts
    • 32,852 Thanks
    Primrose
    Sad to report that Border Biscuits has craftily reduced its butter sultana shortcakes packet from 150gms to 135gms. The new pack makes a big deal out of the 'reduced packaging' and 'same quality' but doesn't mention the significant reduction in quantity.

It always strikes me as a shame when one of the little companies, which I always prefer to support, adopts the same rotten tactics beloved by the giants of the food industry.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Have you written to give them your feedback in this issue?
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 9th Oct 19, 8:55 PM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Have you written to give them your feedback in this issue?
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I have not. With limited time, I elected to warn other users on here.

If I can find a few spare minutes, I might write and grumble but, frankly, I doubt such protests achieve anything once the accountants have made their decision.

Of course, a sensible company these days polices its reputation online very carefully, so it may be that a complaint on MSE would achieve more than a personal rebuke from a grumpy customer.
  • archived user
    Walkers Crisps in Poundland are in multipacks of FOUR instead of 6. So its cheaper to buy Walkers in supermarkets when they are 1.25 or less per pack of 6 - single or multibuy

Earlier this year, Walkers dropped 2 packs from their 12 multipack. Past couple of weeks,I have seen they are selling 12 again. I wonder why the change of heart as prices are the same?
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Oct 19, 7:03 PM
    • 20,874 Posts
    • 123,766 Thanks
    maman
    Many items in pound type shops are specifically made for them in smaller packs. It's something else to be aware of.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 22nd Oct 19, 8:39 AM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    20aday
    The Cadbury dessert yoghurts eg with Daim etc are now 85g instead of 90g. The Pots of Joy have also shrunk from 280g to 260g (pack of four).
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 22nd Oct 19, 9:18 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    Zandoni
    Not only are sizes shrinking the quality is also shrinking.

Have you noticed products like Fairy liquid are getting more and more diluted?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 22nd Oct 19, 12:50 PM
    • 9,054 Posts
    • 32,852 Thanks
    Primrose
    Ariel laundry liquid also much thinner too. Mind you I,m always mean with the amount I put in machine and if an item is heavily soiled I usually soak it warm water overnight before washing which helps loosen the dirt.
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Oct 19, 3:10 PM
    • 20,874 Posts
    • 123,766 Thanks
    maman
    Not only are sizes shrinking the quality is also shrinking.

Have you noticed products like Fairy liquid are getting more and more diluted?
    Originally posted by Zandoni
    I bought some Vanish spray the other day in Home Bargains. They don't usually sell small packs (unlike many shops) but this one is tiny compared with the one I'd just finished.
    • od244051
    • By od244051 23rd Oct 19, 3:21 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    od244051
    Not a food product. Saw the packs of Carefree pantyliners have shrunk from 58 to 56
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,954Posts Today

7,429Users online

Martin's Twitter