Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 5th Oct 19, 10:45 PM
    • 424Posts
    • 282Thanks
    Supersonos
    Advertising for a freelance "employee"
    • 5th Oct 19, 10:45 PM
    Advertising for a freelance "employee" 5th Oct 19 at 10:45 PM
    I work for other companies on a freelance basis. I then tell that company who else to contract so they can work with me to get the job done. Technically I become their "boss", but they're actually working for the higher company rather than me directly.

It's getting hard to find good people to ask for. Could I advertise offering someone training and the potential of work but without any contract/guarantees?

Or by advertising and offering free, casual training, am I somehow then responsible for that person getting work/holiday pay/sick pay etc?

Am I able to interview people and offer to train them/"employ" them, but say they have to be self-employed?
    Last edited by Supersonos; 05-10-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Page 2
    • Guesses
    • By Guesses 9th Oct 19, 4:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Guesses
    As freelancers on short-term contracts, from the sound of it. Plus filming their own projects.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    Looking at the replies to Spersonos's first post in this thread, that's not a good idea (the suggestion was it's tax evasion?).
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 9th Oct 19, 6:39 PM
    • 5,054 Posts
    • 8,171 Thanks
    KiKi
    For the OP: I wouldn't get into 'hiring' and training. It's too complex and feels like you're possibly over-engineering a solution.

Get better at networking. Find others in the same position as you, who have the right skills sets. Create networking groups where you live, and get together to share ideas etc...and then you can start identifying people who might be great to work with you on particular projects. And it works both ways - those associates then offer you work as well. Network online, or through existing groups in your areas as well. You may also have a professional body / association which has networking opportunities.

Much easier to just bring people in through association / recommendation, than by 'hiring' and training. But it does take work to network properly. It's a real investment in time, but one that does pay off.

HTH
    KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 9th Oct 19, 7:53 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Blatchford
    Looking at the replies to Spersonos's first post in this thread, that's not a good idea (the suggestion was it's tax evasion?).
    Originally posted by Guesses
    It may not just be tax evasion. You could also be creating an employment contract, having obligations to pay the minimum wage etc. Even volunteering can do that if organisations aren't careful. If you aren't creating an actual job, what are you creating? Can that person turn up when they want, refuse work, ask someone else to do the work, compete with you for the work...? Even zero hours workers have rights.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 10th Oct 19, 7:47 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    Potbellypig

I'd love to give some other keen, young people some of the opportunities I was given - ideally before they go to university and spend thousands on a pointless degree. It's sad I'm unable to do so.
    No-one's saying you can't. You just have to follow all the laws associated.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 10th Oct 19, 9:57 AM
    • 6,998 Posts
    • 11,275 Thanks
    Malthusian
    I'd love to give some other keen, young people some of the opportunities I was given - ideally before they go to university and spend thousands on a pointless degree. It's sad I'm unable to do so.
    All you need to do is expand your filmmaking business until you have enough work to do that you can offer a paying job to runners.

I would love my business to be ten times the size it is as well, but there's no point being sad about it. I've done the best I could to make it to its current size and being sad isn't going to make it bigger.

Alternative, if they aren't going to pay their way, get them to pay you for training courses in filmmaking. As far as I'm aware there's very little regulation around offering filmmaking training courses to adults.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 10th Oct 19, 10:01 AM
    • 6,998 Posts
    • 11,275 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Hiring a freelancer on a short-term contract is not tax evasion.

Employing somebody on a permanent basis but pretending they're a short-term freelancer is tax evasion.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 10th Oct 19, 11:12 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    Marcon
    You are aware I haven't done anything yet, right? And I agree that I'm naiive, but that's why I'm here trying to get information.

So far, what you've said has taught me nothing. What are the risks? And how would this affect my reputation?
    Originally posted by Supersonos
    I'd concur that you sound hugely naive - and as for being 'taught nothing' by the post you are whining about, maybe it has taught you that you are well and truly out of your depth?

If you don't understand reputational risk, probably better that you don't inflict your 'training' on other people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter