Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 6th Oct 19, 11:25 AM
    • 297Posts
    • 18Thanks
    QQQ
    0 WOW
    Cheap yet reliable dishwasher tablets and rinse aid
    • 6th Oct 19, 11:25 AM
    0 WOW
    Cheap yet reliable dishwasher tablets and rinse aid 6th Oct 19 at 11:25 AM
    Finish tablets and rinse aid work great however I cannot say the same about their price. Is there an alternative brand or supermarket own line which washes as good and costs much less?
Page 2
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Oct 19, 10:42 AM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 15,572 Thanks
    Farway
    Does that mean you tried cheaper Lidl/Aldi tablets, they did not impress you so you prefer much more expensive (even when it's 8.99 for 110 tablets) Finish?
    Originally posted by QQQ

I have, L's, Wilko & A5da anyway and not impressed. I'm in very hard water area. I now do as Petula and buy Finish in bulk when I spot them on offer
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Oct 19, 12:29 PM
    • 20,849 Posts
    • 123,668 Thanks
    maman
    I have, L's, Wilko & A5da anyway and not impressed. I'm in very hard water area. I now do as Petula and buy Finish in bulk when I spot them on offer
    Originally posted by Farway
    Out of interest, what is it that you're not impressed with farway? Do they not clean properly? I'm wondering now whether as I've used nothing but Lidl and Aldi for years whether I'm missing something.

All I'd say is that over time here is a film on cheap glasses but that doesn't bother me and I think that can happen with any dishwasher stuff. I find that the Perrier glasses that I use regularly come out sparkling but that may be because they're designed for commercial use.
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 9th Oct 19, 12:33 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    QQQ
    All I'd say is that over time here is a film on cheap glasses but that doesn't bother me and I think that can happen with any dishwasher stuff.
    Originally posted by maman
    No, it's not as it should be. You may want to adjust the water hardness settings on your dishwasher.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Oct 19, 2:06 PM
    • 20,849 Posts
    • 123,668 Thanks
    maman
    No, it's not as it should be. You may want to adjust the water hardness settings on your dishwasher.
    Originally posted by QQQ

Thanks for that. I'll investigate but I have to say I wasn't aware it had such settings.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Oct 19, 2:43 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 15,572 Thanks
    Farway
    Out of interest, what is it that you're not impressed with farway? Do they not clean properly? I'm wondering now whether as I've used nothing but Lidl and Aldi for years whether I'm missing something.

All I'd say is that over time here is a film on cheap glasses but that doesn't bother me and I think that can happen with any dishwasher stuff. I find that the Perrier glasses that I use regularly come out sparkling but that may be because they're designed for commercial use.
    Just that, a film on crockery / glasses. I use rinse aid + salt BTW

The water hardness settings, on mine anyway, is in the rinse aid compartment, guess you'd have to check your manual. You can get the hardness figure from your local water company then set D/w to match
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 9th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger

I seem to recall reading that it isn't a film as such, it's almost chemical etching as a result of the aggressive detergent needed to wash, say, saucepans with stuck-on residue as well as glasses in the same wash. This will also damage fine porcelain and especially decorative trims, like the gold sometimes applied around the rims of expensive tea cups.

The professional advice seems to be that all-in-one tablets work OK in medium hardness areas but in hard water districts you are better using salt and rise aid as separate entities.

I have tried Finish relatively recently and I did not find it any better than Aldi's tablets.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 9th Oct 19, 6:43 PM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Thanks for that. I'll investigate but I have to say I wasn't aware it had such settings.
    Don't forget, the water hardness setting only works if you are using salt as a separate item. It controls the amount of salt released into the wash and cannot affect the amount of salt dispensed by a tablet which is an average amount. I'm told this is why people living in very hard water areas are advised to stick to using salt in the traditional way.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Oct 19, 8:24 PM
    • 20,849 Posts
    • 123,668 Thanks
    maman
    Don't forget, the water hardness setting only works if you are using salt as a separate item. It controls the amount of salt released into the wash and cannot affect the amount of salt dispensed by a tablet which is an average amount. I'm told this is why people living in very hard water areas are advised to stick to using salt in the traditional way.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I seem to recall reading that it isn't a film as such, it's almost chemical etching as a result of the aggressive detergent needed to wash, say, saucepans with stuck-on residue as well as glasses in the same wash. This will also damage fine porcelain and especially decorative trims, like the gold sometimes applied around the rims of expensive tea cups.

The professional advice seems to be that all-in-one tablets work OK in medium hardness areas but in hard water districts you are better using salt and rise aid as separate entities.

I have tried Finish relatively recently and I did not find it any better than Aldi's tablets.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I think you're both right. I think calling it a film was wrong it probably is a general sort of scratching.

I've fiddled about with buttons on the dishwasher as suggested in the manual but don't feel it's done anything for hardness. Who knows?

We're in a hard water area and I use separate tablets, rinse aid and salt so I'll stick to what I'm doing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,807Users online

Martin's Twitter