Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 7th Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    • 107Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    Swimming hat for men
    • 7th Oct 19, 3:38 PM
    Swimming hat for men 7th Oct 19 at 3:38 PM
    Has anyone bought one of these, any good places? I need one as I keep getting ear infections.
Page 2
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 9th Oct 19, 8:12 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    I know itís been answered already, but...

Colds have nothing to do with getting wet hair
    Originally posted by Davy Jones II
    I know that colds are caused by viruses - probably not a good idea to walk around at 3 degrees centigrade with wet hair though. I used to do it when I was younger and thought that I was invincible but with age it has become a bad idea.
    • lowlake
    • By lowlake 9th Nov 19, 10:22 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lowlake
    They don't. They primarily protect the swimmer's hair from the damaging effect of chlorine...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Actually the primary use is to reduce resistance whilst swimming, and hence improve your speed through the water.
    As you later admit, they don't really keep you hair dry...

It is a common misconception that a swim cap will keep your hair dry when swimming.

Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    especially when most swimmers, especially when racing, often immediately pull them off at the finish and dip their now uncapped head in the water

I do agree they are even less effective at keeping water out of the ears; infact generally useless for that, but there are swimmers ear plugs that can be effective for that if required. Nose clips are also available.
    • lowlake
    • By lowlake 9th Nov 19, 10:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lowlake
    Has anyone bought one of these, any good places? I need one as I keep getting ear infections.
    Originally posted by Thomas Holding
    Most swimming pools will generally sell things like swimming caps, ear plugs, nose plugs etc at reception, as well as a limited range of costumes, and other swimming paraphernalia if permitted in the pool (e.g. fins, paddles, dive sticks/balls etc).
    Or they are also available from most sports shops or online
    Last edited by lowlake; 09-11-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    • lowlake
    • By lowlake 9th Nov 19, 10:55 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    lowlake
    I was thinking about saving time after leaving the pool. I am often in a rush and don't get my hair that dry which is what causes the colds, sorry I should have given more details, I am not that well at the moment, due to an ear infection.
    I know - the first thing the GP asked was if I had been swimming
    Probably you should be avoiding swimming (in public pools) whenever you are feeling unwell, or otherwise have any infection.

When you are well and do attend, always allow a couple of minutes to ensure you properly dry yourself before leaving the warm environment of the facility. Hair driers are often provided for those that require them.
    • Thomas Holding
    • By Thomas Holding 9th Nov 19, 11:02 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Thomas Holding
    Probably you should be avoiding swimming (in public pools) whenever you are feeling unwell, or otherwise have any infection.

When you are well and do attend, always allow a couple of minutes to ensure you properly dry yourself before leaving the warm environment of the facility. Hair driers are often provided for those that require them.
    Originally posted by lowlake
    I do now - I didn't always in the past which was a mistake.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 22nd Nov 19, 9:05 PM
    • 17,977 Posts
    • 39,922 Thanks
    Glad
    Swim bands are effective for keeping water out of the ears

swim bands

and if you want to make doubly sure you can use silicone ear plugs too

silicone ear plugs
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

3,263Users online

Martin's Twitter