Free parking near Upton Park

Hi all

I am soon to move to Upton Park in London and struggling with car parking.

There is no permit-less, free on-street parking in Upton Park and the owners of the development to which I am moving have an agreement with Newham council stating that their tenants cannot apply for resident on-street parking permits. As such I am stuck paying for visitor permits which are of course quite costly. I am also on the waiting list for a council owned garage which will hopefully be my permanent solution.

In the meantime I am now considering parking my car outside of the immediate area and looking for somewhere further afield. Does anyone know where would be the closest area with permit-less, free on-street parking?

Any suggestions or advice would be very much welcome.

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can bet that the nearest areas will be swamped - not just with residents, but with people like you...

Are there long-term permits available in commercial parking nearby?
  • tower
    tower Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You could look at the council web site to see where the zones are. Someone local may rent you their driveway.. Or sell you their permit if it’s not car specific.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    A lot of places in London are built with no (or very few) parking spaces - councils insist on it. I guess it's to encourage people to go without their cars.

So there'll be a lot of people going for what spaces there are.
  • AdrianC
    Supersonos wrote: »
    A lot of places in London are built with no (or very few) parking spaces. I guess it's to encourage people to go without their cars.
    If only there was a viable public transport system in the area...
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If only there was a viable public transport system in the area...
    Oh there is, quite an extensive one. However it would be naive to assume that it would be suitable for all the OPs transport needs.
  • Thanks all. I will look into all the suggestions.

To clarify - I am aware that having a car in London is perhaps not the best idea. My move to the city was unexpected and I have a my car on a HP agreement and so am stuck with it for the next couple of years.

Thanks again
  • AdrianC
    martysams wrote: »
    To clarify - I am aware that having a car in London is perhaps not the best idea. My move to the city was unexpected and I have a my car on a HP agreement and so am stuck with it for the next couple of years.
    You can get out of it. It will cost you, but you need to balance that against the cost and utility of keeping it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure