Redundancy advice needed

On behalf of a friend..

They were made redundant end of November but we're told the company did not have funds to pay redundancy until the company building was sold.

Despite having a firm offer for the asking price the company have been holding out for a better offer, which has been verbally made but hasn't progressed.

I'm conscious that redundancy payments should be made within six months of redundancy. The company haven't paid up yet but promise to pay once the building is sold, but keep procrastinating on the sale.

My friend is obviously annoyed so I have three questions;

1. What should their next move be?

2. Is there a time limit at which the responsibility of the employer to pay redundancy expires?

3. Can the employees claim interest, expenses and compensation as it has been over six months?

Gut feeling is that they are trying to get out of paying.

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As in November last year? Hope it is your friend and not you as it looks like they've missed the boat. They should call ACAS to check as it may depend on dates, contractual notice and so on but I'm not hopeful.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Masomnia wrote: »
    As in November last year? Hope it is your friend and not you as it looks like they've missed the boat. They should call ACAS to check as it may depend on dates, contractual notice and so on but I'm not hopeful.

Agree with calling ACAS, as far as I am aware the only reason an employer can put off paying redundancy is if they are insolvent. If this is the case then your friend needs to call the Insolvency Service redundancy payments helpline.

Contact info is on the below gov.uk site
    https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-payments-helpline
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family