I hear the phrase quite often and take it to mean that "one is not happy"

In which part of the country is that?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    but any natural Brit will understand.
    This one didn't.
    They have nothing better to do than pick holes in posts
    It's not about trying to pick holes, it's about trying to understand the gibberish that some people write on these forums. If others can't understand what a poster has written, it's a waste both of the poster's time in writing the post and a reader's time in reading the post. As this thread has demonstrated.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2019 at 10:50AM
    " Apparently it's from Manchester - though I've family from Manchester and I've *never* heard that expression before."
    I'm from Manchester originally and it was used quite regularly. Probably not used any more and as a result "family" have never heard it.
    "He saw his a r s e", i.e. somewhat annoyed about something.
    As a result, I fully understood what the o.p. was saying. Certainly not gibberish to me.

It's now trendy to refer to a four legged animal rather than the proper Queen's English version! Hopefully some of the more ill informed individuals have now learned something from north of Watford?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    "Oh no," thinks Barclays, "unprofitable customers that cost us money we'll never make back in transaction fees won't use us any more and will instead incur those costs with other banks." Crying, it muses: "Our a*se has been well and truly seen here."
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Ergates wrote: »
    According to the article, "See your !!!!" means "Be annoyed". Apparently it's from Manchester - though I've family from Manchester and I've *never* heard that expression before.

However, if we we accept the meaning from The Mirror (because The Mirror has never been known to publish falsehoods) it still doesn't make sense in the given context.

Barclays have, seemingly, withdrawn counter services from post office branches - why does that make them annoyed?
    boo_star wrote: »
    I'm, roughly, from around there and have never heard it before either.

I was brought up in Manchester and I understood exactly what the OP meant.

To see one's a**e means:
    1. to lose one's temper, or
    2. to flounce off.

So, as an example of the second definition, someone might notice that a person has disappeared from a group in a pub and ask where he was, and get the reply: "His wife told him he wasn't having another pint and he saw his a**e".

The OP has used it to suggest that Barclays has in some way fallen out of love with the Post Office by no longer letting customers use its services to withdraw cash, and so it does make sense, and I got the point immediately.

However the phrase is colloquial and clearly some people didn't understand it. :)
  • I don’t know whether people are just being bloody awkward here because OP said it’s instead of its, but as I type that on my phone it tries to autocorrect it to it’s each time.

Or whether these people genuinely haven’t heard the term to have seen ones back end.

If it’s the former it doesn’t surprise me as people just love to be difficult it seems.

If it’s the latter then I’m confused as I’m sure these will be the same people who harp on (is that another phrase you haven’t heard?????!) about using ‘the search function’. Well perhaps try Google for the phrase and see what it returns instead of making a big song & dance about it.

For the record I hear the phrase frequently. I’m sure there’s some southern phrases I’ve never heard of before. Big deal.
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As a born and bred southerner I too had no idea what the OP's original phrase meant.
    Anyway to get back to the subject.....
    Barclays clearly feel that the amount they pay in transaction fees to the Post Office each time for letting their customer take out cash from the PO for free is not worth anything in terms of customer retention etc and it's simply not worth the aggro anymore.
    Those Barclays customers who rarely use cash anymore will not be bothered.
    Those who are outraged will move to another bank and quite possibly Barclays will be better off not having to deal with them anymore.

It it odd then when a legacy bank breaks the established way of things people are outraged but when it's a Challenger Bank (say becomes app only) then it's them being modern and moving with the times and how we bank today and its all no problem.
    As I've said on here prior - its all been seen before when ATM's and bank cash cards were introduced in the 1970's and the facility to write a cheque to "pay cash" and present it at the bank teller/clerk for them to hand over the notes was withdrawn: now how outrageous was that!!
    To be honest in today's increasingly cashless society I've no idea why people have a need to regularly withdraw cash from their account anyway.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 October 2019 at 12:36PM
    Or whether these people genuinely haven’t heard the term to have seen ones back end.

I've genuinely never heard it before in my life, and has absolutely no clue what it meant until I Googled it, and found out it was a Northern colloquialism.

The problem for me was that, instead of explaining it, the OP just repeated it replacing "a**e" with "rear end" which didn't help at all.
  • TREVORCOLMAN
    TREVORCOLMAN Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    I hear the phrase quite often and take it to mean that "one is not happy"

I thought that just applied to Bunny?

:rotfl:
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Op nothing wrong with your English. Its not the queens granted but any natural Brit will understand. Same few faces looking to derail threads rather thwn be helpful. They have nothing better to do than pick holes in posts
    !!! wrote: »
    It’s*
    Queen’s*
    Than*

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts