Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 8th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    • 8th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    Barclays seen it is a r s e?

What is that supposed to mean?
    • huw01
    • By huw01 8th Oct 19, 10:30 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    huw01
    • 8th Oct 19, 10:30 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 10:30 PM
    This isn’t a grammar forum, english is not my first language. Sometimes i get it wrong, get over it.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Oct 19, 10:36 PM
    • 6,904 Posts
    • 4,592 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 8th Oct 19, 10:36 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 10:36 PM
    What is it supposed to say then?
    • huw01
    • By huw01 8th Oct 19, 10:37 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    huw01
    • 8th Oct 19, 10:37 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 10:37 PM
    That they’ve seen their rear end
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 8th Oct 19, 11:20 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:20 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:20 PM
    This isn’t a grammar forum, english is not my first language. Sometimes i get it wrong, get over it.
    Originally posted by huw01
    But what you wrote is literally unintelligible. What are you trying to say?

Would it not make more sense to have a whine on a forum in a language that you can communicate in?
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 8th Oct 19, 11:21 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:21 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:21 PM
    That theyíve seen their rear end
    That still makes no sense. Have you a friend or older sibling who could help? If you have something to say, then itís probably worth putting in the effort to say it in a way that someone other than you will understand.
    • huw01
    • By huw01 8th Oct 19, 11:24 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    huw01
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:24 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:24 PM
    I honestly don’t know what the problem is here. I know it is not me or my language skills.

Looks like someone else has seen their a**e. Have a look here,
    numero
    cincuenta y cuatro

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/64-slang-words-phrases-you-3026057
    Last edited by huw01; 08-10-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 8th Oct 19, 11:32 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    colsten
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:32 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 11:32 PM
    I know it is not me or my language skills.
    Hmh. I think you might be mistaken.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 8th Oct 19, 11:36 PM
    • 6,311 Posts
    • 5,745 Thanks
    mgdavid
    I honestly donít know what the problem is here. I know it is not me or my language skills.

Sadly, you're not listening.
    You say this isn't your first language yet you don't seem to accept that what you have written does not make any sense. It's not even idiomatic.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 8th Oct 19, 11:40 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    I honestly donít know what the problem is here. I know it is not me or my language skills.

Looks like someone else has seen their a**e. Have a look here,
    numero
    cincuenta y cuatro

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/64-slang-words-phrases-you-3026057
    No, itís absolutely an issue with your language. Are you writing a literal translation of a local phrase? Idiom often transfers poorly when you donít adapt it well.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 9th Oct 19, 12:53 AM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 2,898 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    There's an MSE article about it here.

For some reasonópresumably someone forgotóthe article doesn't link to an official forum thread.

The Post Office allows customers of 28 banks to withdraw cash, pay cash in, check their balance, and deposit cheques.

But from 8 January, Barclays customers will only be able to deposit cash and cheques, and check their balances at the Post Office - they won't be able to withdraw cash.

[...]

A Barclays spokesperson said that it wanted to reduce its customers' reliance on the Post Office, while investing more in free-to-use cash machines and cashback services at local businesses.
    I guess Post Office counter withdrawals are more expensive for banks than withdrawals from ATMs.

It was a different story a few years ago when Barclays were shutting up shop left, right and centre. At the time a Barclays spokesperson said:

"To access a full counter service, our customers can use our branch at Fletchampstead Highway (2.3 miles away) and everyday transaction, typically carried out over branch counters (including paying in a cheque or depositing cash), can also be completed at the Post Office at Costcutters on the University Campus which is open 6 days a week."
    Lots of other banks to choose from. But let's hope this doesn't become a trend.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 9th Oct 19, 12:56 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    Ergates
    According to the article, "See your !!!!" means "Be annoyed". Apparently it's from Manchester - though I've family from Manchester and I've *never* heard that expression before.

However, if we we accept the meaning from The Mirror (because The Mirror has never been known to publish falsehoods) it still doesn't make sense in the given context.

Barclays have, seemingly, withdrawn counter services from post office branches - why does that make them annoyed?
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 9th Oct 19, 1:06 AM
    • 2,839 Posts
    • 2,183 Thanks
    boo_star
    According to the article, "See your !!!!" means "Be annoyed". Apparently it's from Manchester - though I've family from Manchester and I've *never* heard that expression before.

However, if we we accept the meaning from The Mirror (because The Mirror has never been known to publish falsehoods) it still doesn't make sense in the given context.

Barclays have, seemingly, withdrawn counter services from post office branches - why does that make them annoyed?
    Originally posted by Ergates
    I'm, roughly, from around there and have never heard it before either.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 9th Oct 19, 1:23 AM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I hear the phrase quite often and take it to mean that "one is not happy"
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 9th Oct 19, 7:39 AM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 1,552 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Barclays isn't annoyed by the change, they're quite happy about it.

So, logically, it will be any unhappy customers who see their rear end, not Barclays.
    • johndavid29c
    • By johndavid29c 9th Oct 19, 8:45 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    johndavid29c
    Op nothing wrong with your English. Its not the queens granted but any natural Brit will understand. Same few faces looking to derail threads rather thwn be helpful. They have nothing better to do than pick holes in posts
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 9th Oct 19, 9:07 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    Op nothing wrong with your English. Its not the queens granted but any natural Brit will understand. Same few faces looking to derail threads rather thwn be helpful. They have nothing better to do than pick holes in posts
    Originally posted by johndavid29c
    What a bizarre post. I’m a natural-born Briton, yet have never heard the phrase he used before, and as above, now that we know what it means, it still makes no sense at all.

To be frank, though, someone with English such as you’ve written there is not in a great place to judge the quality of others’.

Asking what someone means in order to try to give advice is not derailing a thread.

I can see that you’ve just signed up, and that many of your posts are insulting people rather than adding anything to a thread (this one included.) You OK hun?
    Last edited by Davy Jones II; 09-10-2019 at 9:09 AM.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Oct 19, 9:15 AM
    • 24,124 Posts
    • 26,853 Thanks
    zx81
    Op nothing wrong with your English. Its not the queens granted but any natural Brit will understand.

That's clearly not true.

It makes as much sense as a weasel fishing for a chip in a Spaniard's bucket, as we say in Britain.
    Last edited by zx81; 09-10-2019 at 9:19 AM.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Oct 19, 9:37 AM
    • 6,904 Posts
    • 4,592 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Itís*
    Queenís*
    Than*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

7,660Users online

Martin's Twitter