Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cat Loving Lady
    • By Cat Loving Lady 1st Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 54Thanks
    Cat Loving Lady
    Kitchen retile
    • 1st Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    Kitchen retile 1st Sep 19 at 7:32 PM
    Need 5.5sqm of kitchen tiles removed and retiled. Been quoted 500 for total job.
    Does this seem about right. Seems alot as just under 100 per sqm.
Page 1
    • Jimmy54321
    • By Jimmy54321 8th Oct 19, 6:28 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jimmy54321
    • 8th Oct 19, 6:28 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 6:28 PM
    I'm not a tiler and have no real experience so can't really help you with the fairness of the price but a bit more info on the job might help others with experience to give you a more informed opinion

-What sort of surface are the tiles on?
    -If they are on plasterboard then this might need replaced or repaired based on how much damage is caused in ripping them off.
    -When you say total job does this mean the price includes tiles, grouting etc? i.e. is the tiler providing the tiles and all materials required?
    -Is there any mosaic work or anything like that to be done?

My best Guess:

A quick google search shows UK day rates of tilers to be 150-200 and for coverage 30-50 per sqm. Based on this for the labor only, 100 per sqm strikes me as a bit expensive but again, there could be other work involved there that they are taking into consideration?

For that area an average tile from B&Q seems to be about 15 per sqm so for 10% wastage that's ~90 for tiles, you can pick up a bag of adhesive for ~10, grout probably something similar. So that's roughly 110 for the materials (give or take some other sundries). If you take the upper limit of what google suggests are reasonable rates per sqm of 50 then that would be ~275 giving you a total of ~385. If the removal of the existing tiles is a simple job then 500 may be a bit on the high side but if there is repair work to be done prior to fitting the new tiles then 500 might not be too bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

7,809Users online

Martin's Twitter