Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jarshay
    • By jarshay 6th Oct 19, 9:17 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 24Thanks
    jarshay
    Smokeless Coal average price
    • 6th Oct 19, 9:17 AM
    Smokeless Coal average price 6th Oct 19 at 9:17 AM
    Hi All,

This will be our first winter running our Clearview Pioneer 24/7 in the hope of trying to reduce our oil consumption and bill.

Just wondering what sort of price I should expect to pay for 25kg bags of smokeless coal.
    Mortgage for 212000 - 10/17 for 35 years!
    Aiming to overpay each year as close to 10% as possible!
Page 1
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 6th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 6th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    Hi All,

This will be our first winter running our Clearview Pioneer 24/7 in the hope of trying to reduce our oil consumption and bill.

Just wondering what sort of price I should expect to pay for 25kg bags of smokeless coal.
    Originally posted by jarshay
    It depends on the quantity you're able to store. If you can manage a metric tonne on a pallet, then the best price I've found works out (I buy from housefuel.co,.uk) at about 330 for 40 bags. Buying it a bag at a time from a garage will cost you a lot more.

You can get a range of prices on eBay, for comparisons.
    • smallblueplanet
    • By smallblueplanet 6th Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    smallblueplanet
    • 6th Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    We pay 22.50 for a sack (50kg) of New Flame delivered & dumped into our bunker, although you can get 10kg bags from B&M for 3.99
    https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/blaze-smokeless-fuel-10kg-298366

Also a nearby coal merchant's prices:
    http://www.smithsofaxford.co.uk/pricelist.html
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 7th Oct 19, 12:25 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 7th Oct 19, 12:25 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 12:25 PM
    It depends on the quantity you're able to store.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Also depends on the area you live. I'm paying between 12.50 and 13.60 for a 25Kg bag depending on which coal and the quantity.

One thing I would say to the OP - Do not try using anthracite lumps. I found they just would not stay alight in my stove (Aarrow i500). Fortunately, my supplier collected and refunded on the unopened bags.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • km1423
    • By km1423 7th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    km1423
    • 7th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 9:00 PM
    Hi All,

Originally posted by jarshay

Ugh so jealous with a Clearview and 6" flue.. follow A.Badger's advice buy in bulk if you have the storage space, plus get yourself a bunker with minimum of 150kgs for immediate use.

I have found Supacite/Maxibrite to be good fuels for clean glass, etc, or you could go for Phurnacite. Anthracite when you are more experienced, I hear it burns well in a Clearview..which, did I mention I don't have a 6" flue.

I'm trying New Flame, as I couldn't get Supacite/Maxibrite from usual supplier and it aint bad. If you haven't got a stove fan - get one

Hope you enjoy your first Winter
    Last edited by km1423; 07-10-2019 at 9:09 PM. Reason: additional info

If you want loyalty - get a dog

All my posts are my opinion, and the actions I would take.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,397Posts Today

6,524Users online

Martin's Twitter