Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thescot82
    • By thescot82 4th Oct 19, 5:19 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 4Thanks
    thescot82
    Tradesmen charging extra
    • 4th Oct 19, 5:19 PM
    Tradesmen charging extra 4th Oct 19 at 5:19 PM
    Hi all

I recently agreed for a satellite engineer to undertake some work to run some coaxial cable to a second room. We agreed a modest price, maybe slightly over the odds, but agreed in good faith as he was doing another job for me.

I paid in cash and he promised to come back and finish the job once I had some other work complete that would enable him to finish the job. It was only final touch up, 15mins max.

Heís since come back, and told my wife (whilst I was at work), that thereís an additional cost (1/3rd of original cost) to cover extras (which I donít think there is any) and for his time to come back out and finish the job.

I had a heated conversation with him, and argued that this was not made clear. He countered by saying he has to charge for his time etc He has no website so no where I would have been able to validate standard call out charges etc. He says he works on word of mouth.

Not really sure what to do. I sent him a message saying I would pay, but the more I think about it Iím so angry that maybe I shouldnt. The original cost was a fair cost to doing the job.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry to rant.
Page 1
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 4th Oct 19, 8:56 PM
    • 3,461 Posts
    • 4,945 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 4th Oct 19, 8:56 PM
    • 4th Oct 19, 8:56 PM
    When you and the engineer agreed the contract, was the engineer aware the it was not possible to complete in one visit.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 4th Oct 19, 10:18 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 4th Oct 19, 10:18 PM
    • 4th Oct 19, 10:18 PM
    When you and the engineer agreed the contract, was the engineer aware the it was not possible to complete in one visit.
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    I don't believe any engineer was involved - just a TV/aerial installer.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 4th Oct 19, 10:22 PM
    • 3,461 Posts
    • 4,945 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 4th Oct 19, 10:22 PM
    • 4th Oct 19, 10:22 PM
    Hi all

I recently agreed for a satellite engineer to undertake some work to run some coaxial cable to a second room. We agreed a modest price, maybe slightly over the odds, but agreed in good faith as he was doing another job for me.

I paid in cash and he promised to come back and finish the job once I had some other work complete that would enable him to finish the job. It was only final touch up, 15mins max.

Heís since come back, and told my wife (whilst I was at work), that thereís an additional cost (1/3rd of original cost) to cover extras (which I donít think there is any) and for his time to come back out and finish the job.

I had a heated conversation with him, and argued that this was not made clear. He countered by saying he has to charge for his time etc He has no website so no where I would have been able to validate standard call out charges etc. He says he works on word of mouth.

Not really sure what to do. I sent him a message saying I would pay, but the more I think about it Iím so angry that maybe I shouldnt. The original cost was a fair cost to doing the job.

Sorry to rant.
    Originally posted by thescot82
    Not my terminology
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 7th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,474 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 7th Oct 19, 1:44 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 1:44 PM

He’s since come back, and told my wife (whilst I was at work), that there’s an additional cost (1/3rd of original cost) to cover extras (which I don’t think there is any) and for his time to come back out and finish the job.

Not really sure what to do. I sent him a message saying I would pay, but the more I think about it I’m so angry that maybe I shouldnt. The original cost was a fair cost to doing the job.

Sorry to rant.
    Originally posted by thescot82
    TBH the affair reads as very poor communication (both sides/ all three parties). Nothing was "made clear": that is the nature of entirely verbal transactions.

IMO the original price was a verbal estimate, so is subject to change. You can absolutely hold a tradesman to a fixed price quote - usually some written record even if casual electronic - they have time to price up the job, and the customer has time to consider it before accepting.

You say you "agreed", he "spoke" to your wife and had a "conversation" with you yet you still have no idea what the "extras" are, no idea what exactly you were arguing about! How can you settle on paying in full or in part, when you have no idea what the figure represents?

Instead of becoming angry you should calmly ask for a breakdown of the charges/ extras and scribble down his reply. Or, as the professional, as soon as he realised you were at cross purposes, the engineer should have offered to send you a detailed invoice.

HTH.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • garrysibbald
    • By garrysibbald 7th Oct 19, 6:14 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    garrysibbald
    • 7th Oct 19, 6:14 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 6:14 PM
    How much are we talking about here?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,780Posts Today

7,491Users online

Martin's Twitter