Accused of Damage to Holiday Cottage

We went on holiday in August in the UK, 10 days after our return we had an email from the booking agent saying one our dogs had soiled a carpet in one of the rooms and the smell was so bad they had to replace the carpet costing over £300.

We denied any damage immediately and asked for confirmation at the exact location, photos of the damaged area and photos of the new carpet.

A month later we get another email with no more information, other than listing the rooms with carpets, and suggesting we will be taken to small claims.

The dogs were never left alone in the cottage, we didn’t smell anything in the carpeted rooms but I assume there is nothing I can do to avoid having to pay this? (Without going to court)

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dogs often do mark new carpets.
    You do need answers to your questions, ask again.
  • Did you not take any pictures yourself to protect yourself from situations like this?
    I would do this if renting a property especially if we took the dogs.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Did you not take any pictures yourself to protect yourself from situations like this?
    I would do this if renting a property especially if we took the dogs.

I would imagine it would be a bit difficult to take a photo of a smell (or lack of smell) coming from a carpet?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Even if your dog had soiled the carpet, why did they replace instead of cleaning it first and how old was the carpet - are they trying to claim full price for a 10 year old carpet, for example?
    Send them a prove it letter as a starting point, and how they have rached the sum that they have.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Surely it’s up to them to prove the soiling had happened. They conveniently replaced the carpet without showing any proof.

They knew you had dogs ...did they? They’re pulling a fast one, don’t admit any liability.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure