DVLA Medical Terrible Service Very Slow

123457»

Comments

• My friend was medically induced into a coma due to a very serious head injury. He has slightly damaged vision and has been out of his coma for over a year. Chasing it every day as he needs it for work and they just keep passing the blame saying they are waiting to hear from the guy that done surgery on his eyes. Is there anything he can do to speed it up.
    Thanks in advance
    -Frazer
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,876
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Phone the surgeon's secretary ( phone the hospital and ask to be put through to Mr X's secretary) and ask if there is a problem with him replying.
  • I'm afraid I'm in to my 2nd year and 4th application and the service has gotten even worse
  • Back in 2014 I surrendered my licence, waited a year as required then re-applied. Nine agonising after applying I finally got my licence back.:j I had been totally seizure free for 4yrs 6 months then in July had a blackout whilst driving and surrendered my licence for the second time. I know how crap the DVLA assessment and re-application process is likely to take from my first incident (around 2 years in total) . I have sold my car as it would be sitting around for another two years doing nothing except depreciating. So I have bought myself an electric bike :) to get me about locally at least. Such is my utter lack of confidence in the DVLA medical service process ! :mad:
  • whilst the wife was in hospital i filled in her dvla form & ticked the wrong box, subsequently her lisence was revoked. Due to her critical condition she was unable to personally correspond with the dvla, & although I had filled in the form they also refused to talk to me
    4 months after the initial error she was well enough to talk to them, after a further 2 months of them repeatedly asking for information they had been supplied with already,
    I contacted my local MP. His secretary contacted the dvla but there reply was data confidentiality & that they could not talk to him.
    But, they then went on to aknowledge there error, reinstated her licence & supplied a compensation form which I filled in & received the maximum of £500.
    MP intervention - worth thinking about, worked for us
  • I had an issue because of old use of cannabis but it never showed me to be a issue ive never had a drug problem or alcohol problem in my life and they have put under so much stress I’m currently on the decision time I’ve done my medical exam and my GP and Psychiatrist have deemed me fit as they never had an issue in the first place but I’ve complained today as it’s taken well over a year of being messed around and treated poorly I’ve had enough now I feel for anyone who has had this stress with the DVLA medical department
  • My Daughter had her licence stopped on medical grounds in January 2020, despite sending in 3 forms and a letter from her doctor stating that she is now fit to drive and has been since July 2020, her licence is still revoked.  Trying to ring DVLA is impossible as they just keep hanging up.  No idea what to do now
  • DK1982
    DK1982 Posts: 1
    First Post
    I was able to re-apply for my licence in Sept 2020.  I sent my application and cheque for £90.  The £90 was taken and my documents returned.  I then received a questionnaire on seizures that did not relate to me.  I filled out the seizure form and returned anyway.  Nothing happened for two months, so between November and December I called the DVLA medical department 4 times.  Each time they said my application was being dealt with.  I called one last time in January 2021 and I was told I should have booked a medical with a DVLA doctor, but as it is past the 12 week period from being notified, it was now too late.  I never received notification of this and the DVLA refused me a refund.

I reapplied in March.  Another £90 has been taken and my documents returned.  I have received nothing from the DVLA.
    When I call I get told they can not tell me anything as it is with the medical department.  When I am put through to the medical department, they say they can not talk to me on the phone about it.
    I have had £180 taken from my account, no correspondence from the DVLA other than returned documents.
    It is absolutely appalling!  I have given up ever getting my licence back.
    The DVLA is the most archaic government system still in use in the UK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback