Oil filled electric radiators vs oil central heating

2»

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Niv wrote: »
    Where do I sign up!!
    Whoops, fat fingered ! But it shows oil is still far cheaper than electricity.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 October 2019 at 3:55PM
    More importantly is why are you getting it on the last days of september, Its far cheaper around July. How much did you pay per L?

From the oil sticky thread.

Thought I'd quickly add an update.

I ordered my oil from Boilerjuice on 4th September for 45.54p a litre. It was delivered (South Lincs) on the 17th and we were told we were very lucky as the oil prices had just risen 4p a litre in the previous few days due to the Saudi oil bombing business.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Cardew wrote: »
    If you look at the thread on oil prices in MSE it seems that the oil price for this month is around 35p a litre. So approx. 3.2p/kWh.

Given modern oil boilers are 80% - 90% efficient that means the cost to heat with oil is 3.6p/kWh to 4p/kWh.

An oil filled radiator would cost more than 3 times as much to run.

I wish!!

We have not paid that price for years.

We paid over 45p plus vat 2 weeks ago.

We have given up heating our home with oil now as it is just too expensive and just use oil for the Aga.

We have a log/coal fire and electric oil heaters and the Aga keeps the chill off downstairs.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    We paid over 45p plus vat 2 weeks ago.

We have a log/coal fire and electric oil heaters
    If each litre of oil costs 47.25p inc VAT and gives you 9.8kWh, that's about 4.82p/kWh.

Can you buy full price electricity at a similar price for your electric radiators?
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I would guess the log/coal fire is doing 90% of the heating and Elec oil heaters Just take the chill off at 6am, So 2kwh a day at full price is nothing compared to oil burning 24/7
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    markin wrote: »
    More importantly is why are you getting it on the last days of september, Its far cheaper around July. How much did you pay per L?

From the oil sticky thread.

I've been buying central heating oil for 22 years now. Until a few years ago the annual price pattern was very predictable, reaching a minimum in early Summer ie. after the demand for heating ceased but before the Summer holiday season when car and aeroplane useage picked up. I know that they are different fuels but the crude oil starting point drove the price. For the last few years that Summer price minimum has been replaced by an unpredictable pattern largely driven by International politics and crises. The best that you can do is to watch the c.h. oil price charts to choose your moment. My tank holds well over a year's worth of oil so I tend to buy once a year unless an attractive minimum crops up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure