Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 17,120Posts
    • 283,848Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 8:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 9:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 71
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 1st Oct 19, 7:04 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 29,718 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Mercifully we don't have Mares Tail but we do have three different varieties of bindweed, ground Elder, nettles, brambles and oh so much oxalis corniculata (creeping woodsorrel)

- oh yes and invasive Vinca (periwinkle), hypericum (4 sorts), Leucanthemum superbum (shasta daisies), vetch and Persicaria amplexicaulis, but not in the veg beds!
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 8,973.49/7,000 after Oct
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target 2067.30/3k - 68.91% after October
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 109.23% 43,693/40k so far
    MFIT T5 No 2 42,188/59,998 or 70.32% paid after Q3
    My DFD is here
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 1st Oct 19, 7:10 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 29,718 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    My green tomatoes were left on top of the bug zapper which is on the kitchen window sill while we were away for five days (returned last night) and some are turning red

Did you know that bananas are gassed in ethylene to move them from their dormant transport state and encourage them to start going yellow (and the customs process means they have to arrive where there is approved banana weighing equipment)
    My DFD is here
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 1st Oct 19, 11:02 AM
    • 10,432 Posts
    • 49,100 Thanks
    euronorris
    Just back from our holiday yesterday. Lots of fun, but lots of rain lol.

Returned to see the garden still standing. The brussel sprouts are still going (they haven't been devoured by caterpillars....yet). Harvested over a kilo of ripe tomatoes (and a few not quite ripe by accident - it's very difficult to tell when the skins have gone completely black from sunlight exposure! lol). Still plenty on the vine, though will likely have to pick and ripen indoors now. I 'crushed' and froze 1.6kg worth before our holiday, and still have a batch of tomato soup in the freezer too lol

Hope you're all keeping well. I need to catch up on the thread now.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 1st Oct 19, 11:27 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 4,927 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Nasturtiums
    Quick question: I've a small potager style bed that I started last year and this year I added extra nasturtiums. I'm wondering how readily they self seed. There are a load of corms floating around (is that corms or seeds for nasturtiums ?) but I'm not sure whether to collect them & sow in the spring or just push them in
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 1st Oct 19, 11:38 AM
    • 9,050 Posts
    • 32,842 Thanks
    Primrose
    I've grown nasturtiums in the past and find they can self seed quite readily but how many of them germi ate the next year if you just push them deeply i to the soil may depend of the severity of the winter weather. . I find the seeds tend not to overwinter safely in long periods of frost.

I,d collect a few of the seeds, dry them and sow in spring so you work on a belt and braces concept.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 1st Oct 19, 11:58 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 4,927 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I've grown nasturtiums in the past and find they can self seed quite readily but how many of them germi ate the next year if you just push them deeply i to the soil may depend of the severity of the winter weather. . I find the seeds tend not to overwinter safely in long periods of frost.

I,d collect a few of the seeds, dry them and sow in spring so you work on a belt and braces concept.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    The bed is up near the house and quite sheltered, and I've still some seeds in the packet from this year's sowing so I'll push 'em in and see what happens...
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 1st Oct 19, 12:40 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Is it too late to attempt to grow broad beans for overwintering? What other crops can you kick-off now and overwinter?

The thought just occurred to me that we could utilise the currently empty raised bed, which would definitely discourage the neighbourhood cats from using it as a toilet.

- PIp
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 1st Oct 19, 3:58 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 4,927 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Is it too late to attempt to grow broad beans for overwintering? What other crops can you kick-off now and overwinter?
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I just googled it 'cos I'm bored:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=617
    https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/how-to-grow-autumn-sown-broad-beans/

Both sites are good sources of information in general. It's got me thinking about the runner beans I have abandoned in the workshop - they're about 1m probably untangled, so maybe I might trim them to say 30cm & pop them in the greenhouse..? (is there an emoji for Australian lilt ?)

Further googling required...
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 1st Oct 19, 4:08 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 4,927 Thanks
    unrecordings
    It's got me thinking about the runner beans I have abandoned in the workshop - they're about 1m probably untangled, so maybe I might trim them to say 30cm & pop them in the greenhouse..?
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Okay forget that. Trying to overwinter runners is generally deemed to be pointless as you should repot the tuber in spring, with the beans getting poorer as the tuber gets older (season on season). Easier just to use fresh beans - though this could be a way to defeat mice, if you have that problem (?)
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 1st Oct 19, 4:28 PM
    • 9,050 Posts
    • 32,842 Thanks
    Primrose
    I tried this in one occasion. It wasn,t really designed to try and regrow them. i'd read that it apparently helped to fix nitrogen in the soil if yiu left the roots in so I simply snipped the stems off at soil level and left them like that.

What happened? Nothing. The stems simply rotted and gradually dissolved over the winter months. Nothing regrew the following spring. This certainly wouldn't work in the open as beans are vulnerably to cold weather and the roots wouldn't survive through frosts. Even in a greenhouse or poly tunnel the winter temperatures would be too low.
    Last edited by Primrose; 01-10-2019 at 5:57 PM.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 1st Oct 19, 5:09 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 4,927 Thanks
    unrecordings
    The consensus seemed to be - yes they're grown as a perennial in South America, but in this climate if it worked with even a modicum of success then everyone would be doing it
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 1st Oct 19, 8:36 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Mercifully we don't have Mares Tail but we do have three different varieties of bindweed, ground Elder, nettles, brambles and oh so much oxalis corniculata (creeping woodsorrel)

- oh yes and invasive Vinca (periwinkle), hypericum (4 sorts), Leucanthemum superbum (shasta daisies), vetch and Persicaria amplexicaulis, but not in the veg beds!
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass

I just have 'weeds'! There's a variety, indeed the only thing growing on my new plot at the moment. I can recognise bindweed and nettles, but what the others are I will have to research - no doubt I have some of them..

In related news I have been digging a hole to put in a scrounged second hand pond liner. Even 60cm down you get white flaming bindweed roots!
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 2nd Oct 19, 8:49 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 29,718 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    The bed is up near the house and quite sheltered, and I've still some seeds in the packet from this year's sowing so I'll push 'em in and see what happens...
    with nasturtiums you get fewer blooms if the soil is too fertile - they are an ideal crop for spent (used) compost from cucumbers in your greenhouse, or tomatoes
    My DFD is here
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 2nd Oct 19, 9:11 AM
    • 10,432 Posts
    • 49,100 Thanks
    euronorris
    Have made the decision to harvest all of the remaining tomatoes before the weekend. We may be in for some stormy, windy weather, thanks to the tail end of hurricane Lorenzo. And now seems as good a time as any to harvest the remaining toms and pack away all of the supporting sticks (so that they can't fly off during windy weather and become a hazard!).

It's a shame though, despite me taking off all new flowers I saw before I left, some more must have developed whilst I was away as I saw lots of new baby tomatoes this morning!
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 2nd Oct 19, 9:13 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 4,927 Thanks
    unrecordings
    with nasturtiums you get fewer blooms if the soil is too fertile - they are an ideal crop for spent (used) compost from cucumbers in your greenhouse, or tomatoes
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Good to know
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 2nd Oct 19, 7:00 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 4,927 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Managed another 90 minutes out there this afternoon. Cleared the abandoned runner beans, picked the last two peas and cleared them (gives me space to mulch the nasturtiums underneath with spent compo)
    Cleared away the bell peppers in the greenhouse along with most of the tomatoes - and got a nice tub of ripe & nearly ripe toms. Now I've a huge pile of pots to empty & clean...
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 2nd Oct 19, 11:45 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 2,880 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Money Maker toms are still ripening on the plant so I am leaving them there for the time being. Not too many left now, 20 or so I guess. Will definitely be growing them and the Terenza cherry toms next year. The harvest from the Brandy Wine beef toms was small, they may do better in a greenhouse which I don't have so I may not bother again.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 3rd Oct 19, 8:52 AM
    • 10,432 Posts
    • 49,100 Thanks
    euronorris
    The last two mornings, I have picked all of the remaining tomatoes from the plants. Now have a tonne of ripe, nearly ripe, and very green (and some still very small) tomatoes, that I need to do something with.

One of the plants had new flowers on it this morning!

Anyone got a green tomato chutney recipe? Also, is it nice? I don't think I've ever had it! lol

Will have to clear away the plants themselves at the weekend I think. Don't have much time, and DD woke up with vomiting bug this morning. Sigh.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 3rd Oct 19, 9:58 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 4,927 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Anyone got a green tomato chutney recipe? Also, is it nice? I don't think I've ever had it! lol
    Originally posted by euronorris
    I once made what I called xmas salsa - just all those little tomatoes of varying shades, even the pea sized ones, quartered & put in a gereric salsa recipe - obviously you don't get much, but it looks nice. I've still got the recipe somewhere.

Or there's this, I made it a few years ago, very nice
    https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/green-tomato-chutney
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 3rd Oct 19, 10:49 AM
    • 10,432 Posts
    • 49,100 Thanks
    euronorris
    I once made what I called xmas salsa - just all those little tomatoes of varying shades, even the pea sized ones, quartered & put in a gereric salsa recipe - obviously you don't get much, but it looks nice. I've still got the recipe somewhere.

Or there's this, I made it a few years ago, very nice
    https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/green-tomato-chutney

Thank you unrecordings!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

486Posts Today

6,506Users online

Martin's Twitter