Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cookie666
    • By cookie666 13th Sep 19, 4:32 PM
    • 264Posts
    • 2,476Thanks
    cookie666
    Expenses (motor) for charity work
    • 13th Sep 19, 4:32 PM
    Expenses (motor) for charity work 13th Sep 19 at 4:32 PM
    We are in the process of reimbursing our volunteers for using their cars to visit people and make drop-offs etc.

I've seen the form for setting this up and the HMRC guidelines but can't see what I need to ensure that these volunteers are covered for their car insurance. Most policies have Social, domestic, pleasure and commuting to a single place of work, but as it's not work, is this covered? What if the volunteer is retired etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Sep 19, 6:20 PM
    • 40,148 Posts
    • 37,552 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 13th Sep 19, 6:20 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 6:20 PM
    I'd say NOT covered and each volunteer needs to speak to their insurer about this.

If there's a charge, wiĺl you reimburse?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • cookie666
    • By cookie666 13th Sep 19, 6:43 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    cookie666
    • 13th Sep 19, 6:43 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 6:43 PM
    That's what I'd thought Sue, yes we would reimburse.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 13th Sep 19, 7:50 PM
    • 4,227 Posts
    • 5,651 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:50 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:50 PM
    I would say that even though it is voluntary then business cover would be needed.

Charity status is neither here nor there. It is still a business and they are carrying out driving for the business.
    • leylie
    • By leylie 13th Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    leylie
    • 13th Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    I've not heard that any of the Volunteers (from the organisation I'm invovled with) have been charged extra. But it does need to be declared.
    Here's the official guidance: (You can check this reference source through Gov.uk)

Insurance for volunteer drivers
    If your organisation owns the vehicle being used by a volunteer, it is responsible for arranging insurance.

If the volunteer owns the vehicle, they are responsible for arranging insurance. They should inform their insurer that they are using it as part of a volunteering role.

The Association of British Insurerís Volunteer Driving Ė The Motor Insurance Commitment (PDF, 781KB) lists insurance companies that donít charge extra premiums for volunteer driving.

https://knowhow.ncvo.org.uk/your-team/volunteers-and-your-organisation/insurance-and-volunteers
    Leylie
    • cookie666
    • By cookie666 16th Sep 19, 9:20 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    cookie666
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:20 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:20 AM
    Many thanks for all your help all
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 30th Sep 19, 5:07 PM
    • 4,984 Posts
    • 39,900 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 30th Sep 19, 5:07 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 5:07 PM
    I used to be a volunteer for a national charity, using a car was essential as I was transporting myself & dog! I was paid car expenses (mileage)
    I just told my insurer that I was a volunteer and my insurance covered that.(There was no extra premium.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

1,814Users online

Martin's Twitter