Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• tk47
    tk47 Posts: 311
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I did the comparison with the Martin Lewis calculator, checked the economy seven box, input my details and it concluded that Bulb was cheaper than my current energy supplier SSE, so thought 'Great!, let's switch!'
    Or not
    I had an email, reasonably opaque in explanation informing me that as I had related meters (eh?) with two supply points (I will hasten to add I live in a small two bed house not a mansion with different wings..) then I would in fact have to pay two standing charges, so an extra £75 per year, then proceeded to inform me that Bulb would in fact be charging me a standard tariff instead of the ecomony seven rates off peak which completely negates the whole point of economy seven heating (basically cheaper off peak electricity is used to heat electric storage heaters at night, which release the stored energy through the day, they're crap but the village doesn't have mains gas)
    So in essence, I had to stop the switch.
    Really disappointed, clearly economy seven does not suit Bulb despite them indicating otherwise on their comparison checklist.

I would urge you to cancel the switch under the 14 day cooling off period if still possible. I see you have stopped theswitch, you say :)

No one should be attempting to switch supplier with related meters.
    I understand you may not have been aware of this - that's something you need to sort out with your previous supplier.

Economy 7 doesn't have related meters; it uses a single meter with 2 registries.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,562
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Blimey ! Bulb are taking a real hit lately on TrustPilot and their own forums, a lot to do with their smart meter roll out.
    I've just been invited to make an appt to have one but going to continue to give this a miss.
    Most of the negative reviews are in the past month or so.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk?page=2&stars=1&stars=2&stars=3
  • Patr100 wrote: »
    Blimey ! Bulb are taking a real hit lately on TrustPilot and their own forums, a lot to do with their smart meter roll out.
    I've just been invited to make an appt to have one but going to continue to give this a miss.
    Most of the negative reviews are in the past month or so.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk?page=2&stars=1&stars=2&stars=3

That is because you filtered the reviews to show what you wanted to show
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk
  • Patr100
    Forumite
    edited 11 September 2019 at 11:01AM
    That is because you filtered the reviews to show what you wanted to show
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk

Yes, wasn't that obvious ? It's quite clear from the link. Because I wanted to highlight the recent issues
    and mostly about smart meters as I said. The same Smart Meter issues in their own forums. But also about a deterioration in service. Some of these reviewers have been with them for sometime and were happy with them until recently.
  • Does Bulb insist on the installation of smart meters?
  • Patr100
    Forumite
    Wils364 wrote: »
    Does Bulb insist on the installation of smart meters?

No.

---
  • cassie75
    cassie75 Posts: 11
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So far we have found bulb ok, they did keep insisting our DD was upped even though we were in credit, but when we said no they just said "ok".
    The big bug bear we have is that they would not let my mum join bulb because she had a day/night meter which had been on a single tariff for years with eon. They did that when she retired and used more elec during day.
    Bulb refused to do that saying she had to go on the day/night tariff. I don't understand how they can advertise that they only have one tariff !!
    Mum went with Avro, not completely happy as they charge different during winter months, but cheaper than Eon and cheaper than the Bulb day/night tariff.
  • Have been with Bulb for around 2 years. I've had no problems during that time and the website is simple and easy to use.

That said have switched today as there prices have drifted upwards and we can save nearly £200 per year with another supplier.
  • Patr100
    Forumite
    cassie75 wrote: »
    So far we have found bulb ok, they did keep insisting our DD was upped even though we were in credit, but when we said no they just said "ok".
    The big bug bear we have is that they would not let my mum join bulb because she had a day/night meter which had been on a single tariff for years with eon. They did that when she retired and used more elec during day.
    Bulb refused to do that saying she had to go on the day/night tariff. I don't understand how they can advertise that they only have one tariff !!
    Mum went with Avro, not completely happy as they charge different during winter months, but cheaper than Eon and cheaper than the Bulb day/night tariff.

Yeah. I'm with them as I got a cashback which helps for the first year but then realized that unlike my previous supplier which was also EON, who would accept a single reading on my Economy 7 meter, that Bulb would not even though I wouldn't benefit from the night rate etc.
    They need to make that clearer.

The only alternative from them would be to pay for a very expensive new meter fitting or ask for a smart meter which may or many not allow flexibility in readings - it was never certain and there are many problems being reported for their smart meters. It's taking a big risk
  • Cell
    Cell Posts: 580
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Four weeks after switching from EDF (or trying to) not a word from Bulb. Not even open on Saturday, which is amazing, and only about a half hour window in the working day that I can call next week due to my own work hours in the main.

Second switch from MSE and the second switch to be problematic.

My fault I guess for not looking into it in depth, but the whole point of switching services is simplicity, or so I thought.

I've sent an e-mail and can only pray that someone responds.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback