Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Page 30
    • Triciasmith
    • By Triciasmith 8th Sep 19, 1:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Triciasmith
    I did the comparison with the Martin Lewis calculator, checked the economy seven box, input my details and it concluded that Bulb was cheaper than my current energy supplier SSE, so thought 'Great!, let's switch!'
    Or not
    I had an email, reasonably opaque in explanation informing me that as I had related meters (eh?) with two supply points (I will hasten to add I live in a small two bed house not a mansion with different wings..) then I would in fact have to pay two standing charges, so an extra £75 per year, then proceeded to inform me that Bulb would in fact be charging me a standard tariff instead of the ecomony seven rates off peak which completely negates the whole point of economy seven heating (basically cheaper off peak electricity is used to heat electric storage heaters at night, which release the stored energy through the day, they're crap but the village doesn't have mains gas)
    So in essence, I had to stop the switch.
    Really disappointed, clearly economy seven does not suit Bulb despite them indicating otherwise on their comparison checklist.
    • tk47
    • By tk47 8th Sep 19, 1:17 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    tk47
    I did the comparison with the Martin Lewis calculator, checked the economy seven box, input my details and it concluded that Bulb was cheaper than my current energy supplier SSE, so thought 'Great!, let's switch!'
    Or not
    I had an email, reasonably opaque in explanation informing me that as I had related meters (eh?) with two supply points (I will hasten to add I live in a small two bed house not a mansion with different wings..) then I would in fact have to pay two standing charges, so an extra £75 per year, then proceeded to inform me that Bulb would in fact be charging me a standard tariff instead of the ecomony seven rates off peak which completely negates the whole point of economy seven heating (basically cheaper off peak electricity is used to heat electric storage heaters at night, which release the stored energy through the day, they're crap but the village doesn't have mains gas)
    So in essence, I had to stop the switch.
    Really disappointed, clearly economy seven does not suit Bulb despite them indicating otherwise on their comparison checklist.
    Originally posted by Triciasmith
    I would urge you to cancel the switch under the 14 day cooling off period if still possible. I see you have stopped theswitch, you say

No one should be attempting to switch supplier with related meters.
    I understand you may not have been aware of this - that's something you need to sort out with your previous supplier.

Economy 7 doesn't have related meters; it uses a single meter with 2 registries.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 10th Sep 19, 4:40 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    Patr100
    Blimey ! Bulb are taking a real hit lately on TrustPilot and their own forums, a lot to do with their smart meter roll out.
    I've just been invited to make an appt to have one but going to continue to give this a miss.
    Most of the negative reviews are in the past month or so.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk?page=2&stars=1&stars=2&stars=3
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 10th Sep 19, 8:30 PM
    • 7,929 Posts
    • 9,935 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Blimey ! Bulb are taking a real hit lately on TrustPilot and their own forums, a lot to do with their smart meter roll out.
    I've just been invited to make an appt to have one but going to continue to give this a miss.
    Most of the negative reviews are in the past month or so.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk?page=2&stars=1&stars=2&stars=3
    Originally posted by Patr100

That is because you filtered the reviews to show what you wanted to show
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 11th Sep 19, 11:51 AM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    Patr100
    That is because you filtered the reviews to show what you wanted to show
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    Yes, wasn't that obvious ? It's quite clear from the link. Because I wanted to highlight the recent issues
    and mostly about smart meters as I said. The same Smart Meter issues in their own forums. But also about a deterioration in service. Some of these reviewers have been with them for sometime and were happy with them until recently.
    Last edited by Patr100; 11-09-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    • Wils364
    • By Wils364 24th Sep 19, 1:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Wils364
    Smart Meters
    Does Bulb insist on the installation of smart meters?
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 24th Sep 19, 2:34 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    Patr100
    Does Bulb insist on the installation of smart meters?
    Originally posted by Wils364
    No.

---
    • cassie75
    • By cassie75 8th Oct 19, 10:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cassie75
    So far we have found bulb ok, they did keep insisting our DD was upped even though we were in credit, but when we said no they just said "ok".
    The big bug bear we have is that they would not let my mum join bulb because she had a day/night meter which had been on a single tariff for years with eon. They did that when she retired and used more elec during day.
    Bulb refused to do that saying she had to go on the day/night tariff. I don't understand how they can advertise that they only have one tariff !!
    Mum went with Avro, not completely happy as they charge different during winter months, but cheaper than Eon and cheaper than the Bulb day/night tariff.
    • Silent Dancer
    • By Silent Dancer 9th Oct 19, 9:39 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Silent Dancer
    Bulb Energy
    Have been with Bulb for around 2 years. I've had no problems during that time and the website is simple and easy to use.

That said have switched today as there prices have drifted upwards and we can save nearly £200 per year with another supplier.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 10th Oct 19, 1:08 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    Patr100
    So far we have found bulb ok, they did keep insisting our DD was upped even though we were in credit, but when we said no they just said "ok".
    The big bug bear we have is that they would not let my mum join bulb because she had a day/night meter which had been on a single tariff for years with eon. They did that when she retired and used more elec during day.
    Bulb refused to do that saying she had to go on the day/night tariff. I don't understand how they can advertise that they only have one tariff !!
    Mum went with Avro, not completely happy as they charge different during winter months, but cheaper than Eon and cheaper than the Bulb day/night tariff.
    Originally posted by cassie75
    Yeah. I'm with them as I got a cashback which helps for the first year but then realized that unlike my previous supplier which was also EON, who would accept a single reading on my Economy 7 meter, that Bulb would not even though I wouldn't benefit from the night rate etc.
    They need to make that clearer.

The only alternative from them would be to pay for a very expensive new meter fitting or ask for a smart meter which may or many not allow flexibility in readings - it was never certain and there are many problems being reported for their smart meters. It's taking a big risk
    • Cell
    • By Cell 12th Oct 19, 12:09 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Cell
    Four weeks after switching from EDF (or trying to) not a word from Bulb. Not even open on Saturday, which is amazing, and only about a half hour window in the working day that I can call next week due to my own work hours in the main.

Second switch from MSE and the second switch to be problematic.

My fault I guess for not looking into it in depth, but the whole point of switching services is simplicity, or so I thought.

I've sent an e-mail and can only pray that someone responds.
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 12th Oct 19, 3:50 PM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    Four weeks after switching from EDF (or trying to) not a word from Bulb. Not even open on Saturday, which is amazing, and only about a half hour window in the working day that I can call next week due to my own work hours in the main.

My fault I guess for not looking into it in depth, but the whole point of switching services is simplicity, or so I thought.

I've sent an e-mail and can only pray that someone responds.
    Originally posted by Cell
    A relative recently switched from EDF to Bulb using a referral link for the £50 credit and it went very smoothly with plenty of updates from Bulb.
    So is the problem the MSE involvement.
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 12th Oct 19, 4:12 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    smudger1964
    A relative recently switched from EDF to Bulb using a referral link for the £50 credit and it went very smoothly with plenty of updates from Bulb.
    So is the problem the MSE involvement.
    Originally posted by notbritishgas

Same here no problems at all.Switch went without a hitch got £75 paid in from a referral link.App easy to use would recommend BULB because of my experience
    • polysia
    • By polysia 12th Oct 19, 5:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    polysia
    Did you receive the MSE email acknowledging your application and confirming your application was passed onto the supplier?
    If so, then that's the extent of the switching site involvement.

Any delay from then on will be the result of the supplier applied to.

We've not had any problems using the MSE CEC in the past.
    • Cell
    • By Cell 12th Oct 19, 5:23 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Cell
    Did you receive the MSE email acknowledging your application and confirming your application was passed onto the supplier?
    If so, then that's the extent of the switching site involvement.

Any delay from then on will be the result of the supplier applied to.

We've not had any problems using the MSE CEC in the past.
    Originally posted by polysia
    Thanks to all for their replies.

I received acknowledgements straight away from MSE and they helped me a fair bit with the EDF switch in the end.

I switched one month and one day ago, and got the MSE e-mail. I thought I'd be patient, even if in theory I should have received something within two weeks or so. Came back from holiday yesterday and still nothing. So I was ready to have a chat but found out they work 9-6 weekdays and not at all on a Saturday let alone weekends.

I've submitted an enquiry form which has of course disappeared without even saying 'thanks for submitting'!

I'm pretty savvy at financial stuff, but this switching process isn't winning me over at the moment. The imperative is that EDF were going to royally roger me!

I use MSE because I've built up trust in their ethics and motives. But eventually I'm asking myself if it's worth the hassle.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Oct 19, 2:05 PM
    • 13,487 Posts
    • 6,185 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    CEC is the same as other comparison sites its aim is to make money .
    • 2Skintlads
    • By 2Skintlads 16th Oct 19, 12:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    2Skintlads
    Smart meters
    I have a question I would like to change my energy supply from utilita to bulb but I have one of there smart meters and on a pre payment meter. would I be able to change and would my meter still work or would they get changed by you .
    • dcweather
    • By dcweather 16th Oct 19, 12:26 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    dcweather
    Overall i am very happy with Bulb. I have been with them a year. They have put the price up slightly but also dropped it voluntarily when wholesale gas prices fell. I had the latest Smets2 smart meter fitted and have saved money by realising that things like my desktop computer, that I had wrongly assumed was low power, was about 120W and have saved about £45 per year by turning it off at night. The IHD (portable display unit) has been problematical and they have struggled to find the faults which are affecting thousands of customers. It basically locks up or loses data acquisition from time to time. This has no affect on my bills though which are accurate and I don't send in readings. It has been better lately. The Customer Service has been very sympathetic and helpful on this and at one point sent me a £10 credit for taking over a day to reply to my email. Slightly cheaper deals now available with other small companies but if you want a smart meter many of them can't supply them yet.
    • JohnnyZee
    • By JohnnyZee 17th Oct 19, 12:58 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    JohnnyZee
    No refund after Final bill
    Hi. I switched away from Bulb in August 2019 and my final bill was produced on 28 August 2019. My account was in credit by over £85. The bill stated that I would be refunded by direct debit within 2 weeks. However, it has now been over 7 weeks and I have not received any money. I have tried to contact bulb on numerous times via email and phone but I am not getting an answer. I have also been made aware that I am eligible for compensation from Bulb (minimum £30) as they have not refunded the credit within 2 weeks of the final bill.

I have a bad feeling something is not right at Bulb and perhaps this company may be going under. Beware.
    • Cell
    • By Cell 18th Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Cell
    Thanks to all for their replies.

I received acknowledgements straight away from MSE and they helped me a fair bit with the EDF switch in the end.

I switched one month and one day ago, and got the MSE e-mail. I thought I'd be patient, even if in theory I should have received something within two weeks or so. Came back from holiday yesterday and still nothing. So I was ready to have a chat but found out they work 9-6 weekdays and not at all on a Saturday let alone weekends.

I've submitted an enquiry form which has of course disappeared without even saying 'thanks for submitting'!

I'm pretty savvy at financial stuff, but this switching process isn't winning me over at the moment. The imperative is that EDF were going to royally roger me!

I use MSE because I've built up trust in their ethics and motives. But eventually I'm asking myself if it's worth the hassle.
    A long post explaining what happened has been accidentally lost.

In short my Gas Register Number doesn't match postcode wise and as such the switch couldn't go ahead. All should be sorted soon. 21 years I've lived here!

Really can't be bothered to re-type hundreds of words, but it just goes to show that the strangest things can happen.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,181Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter